What is a #1 WR?

Jdub03

Good post. I think the Jets need the latter, what you said after “simply”. Better off having a few guys who can get open, be in the right spot, and catch the ball than one monster guy to pepper with targets. Obviously that’s nice but I think it takes multiple good players at the position.

I do think most offenses have a guy they build around who requires defensive attention - be it a WR, TE, RB, or even a running QB - and the Jets lack that guy. It’s a WR for most teams which is why I think we think WR, and some really good offenses have multiple guys, but most in the league has at least one and the Jets currently don’t.

• Upvote 2

3 WR had over 1500 yards last year.  3 had over 1250 yards last year.  Another 10 had over 1100 yards last year.  Another 10 had over 1,000 yards.  The leading WR on the Jets last year had 538 yards.  

The reality of the NFL today is WR production is off the charts.  The league is loaded with good WR.   Moore if he stays healthy might be a guy who consistently gets you 1,000 to 1,250 yards a season.  Might if he can stay on the field.  

From a pure production POV a No. 1 WR in today's NFL should be getting you at least a 1,000 yards per year of production.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Jdub03 said:

It's brought up consistently in multiple threads, the need we have for a #1 WR. In those threads there seems to be a wide disparity on what the definition of a #1 WR is to each individual.

Do we really need this fabled #1 WR, or simply a WR that can beat press in one on one situations, get open where there supposed to be at a high rate, and catch the ball when on target? Some of the above is hard to quantify when only looking at production statistics (rec/yds/tds) due to things outside of the WRs control, i.e Oline and Qb play, scheme, etc...

What criteria does everyone use to determine what a #1 WR is? What characteristics are you looking for in a WR to add to this Jets offense? 

Personally a guy who everyone knows the balls is likely going to and simply can’t do a damn thing about it! 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, derp said:

Good post. I think the Jets need the latter, what you said after “simply”. Better off having a few guys who can get open, be in the right spot, and catch the ball than one monster guy to pepper with targets. Obviously that’s nice but I think it takes multiple good players at the position.

I do think most offenses have a guy they build around who requires defensive attention - be it a WR, TE, RB, or even a running QB - and the Jets lack that guy. It’s a WR for most teams which is why I think we think WR, and some really good offenses have multiple guys, but most in the league has at least one and the Jets currently don’t.

I think what you described perfectly encapsulates the situation. The Jets offensive system is better off with multiple guys who can get open and are reliable in running the correct option routes, hence I think the Jets obsession with slot guys and above average route runners (think what Moore, Cole, and Davis were supposed to be in principle this past year). 

Also, so much of the league is about exploiting matchups and the Jets don't have guys that can consistently beat man coverage. Not to mention the QB wasn't doing the best job of finding the guys who were open, but that's a separate issue.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I think what you described perfectly encapsulates the situation. The Jets offensive system is better off with multiple guys who can get open and are reliable in running the correct option routes, hence I think the Jets obsession with slot guys and above average route runners (think what Moore, Cole, and Davis were supposed to be in principle this past year)

Also, so much of the league is about exploiting matchups and the Jets don't have guys that can consistently beat man coverage. Not to mention the QB wasn't doing the best job of finding the guys who were open, but that's a separate issue.

I think the bold is why I believe Cooper fits but also why Russell Gage has caught my attention as a potential signing. And also why I think they go the veteran route over draft - think it’s hard to be confident in what you’re getting as a route runner.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We probably have our number 1 in Moore.  But because hes not 6'3, people will doubt him.

But there are plenty of number 1 receivers who are sub 6 ft, beckum, hill etc.

Moore will be paired with Garrett Wilson and its going to be awesome!!!!!

Laveranues Coles is listed at 5'11'' and in my opinion, he was 5'10 on his best day....Maybe. 

40 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We probably have our number 1 in Moore.  But because hes not 6'3, people will doubt him.

But there are plenty of number 1 receivers who are sub 6 ft, beckum, hill etc.

Moore will be paired with Garrett Wilson and its going to be awesome!!!!!

Moore didn't catch in traffic or stay healthy.

He is a good slot WR today and has the potential to be more later.   

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

3 WR had over 1500 yards last year.  3 had over 1250 yards last year.  Another 10 had over 1100 yards last year.  Another 10 had over 1,000 yards.  The leading WR on the Jets last year had 538 yards.  

The reality of the NFL today is WR production is off the charts.  The league is loaded with good WR.   Moore if he stays healthy might be a guy who consistently gets you 1,000 to 1,250 yards a season.  Might if he can stay on the field.  

From a pure production POV a No. 1 WR in today's NFL should be getting you at least a 1,000 yards per year of production.

Exactly and 8-10 TD's per year

• Upvote 1