Cowboys shopping T La’el Collins

alot of interesting names out there, JD is going to have a lot of options on ways to improve the team.  I do not know the compensation here or whether we would be interested, but just goes to show as we approach free agency the number of available players is only going to get bigger. 

• Upvote 1

Are Cowboys 'Mad' Enough at Benched La'el Collins to Trade Him?

Locked On Cowboys: More Important: La'el Collins or Michael Gallup?
  •  
  •  
  •  

With the NFL trade deadline just one week away, the 5-1 Dallas Cowboys are expected to be buyers as they look for a piece to fortify their team for the stretch run of the season.

However, there are some players who could be on their way out of Dallas. ... especially if two insiders' views of the situation are accurate.

Our own Mike Fisher of CowboysSI.com reports that La'el Collins is as of this week a "backup utility offensive lineman'' in part, Fish says, because the Cowboys want to pull a "Scared Straight'' on Collins following a series of stumbles.

And Fish's 105.3 The Fan colleague Bryan Broaddus echoes that, tweeting,
Just my two cents, but Collins not back in the starting line up is more about the front office and coaches being mad at him than how well (Terence) Steele has played.''

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Unless Collins isn’t durable, why is it terrible?

I wouldn't call it terrible, but it might just be giving away our cheap/young troubled Tackle for an older, more expensive troubled Tackle. 

Generally, NFL teams don't trade high end tackles unless there are red flags. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be interested, but not sure I would give up on Becton that easily. Kid looked really good in year 1 (as a project tackle). Had a terrible year 2. Maybe he figures things out in year 3. 

There would be nothing more Jetsy than drafting a monster tackle, trading him after 2 years and then watch him become a perennial pro bowler for another team. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not saying they should trade Becton, but you don't hold on to Becton because he might be good elsewhere.  Just like you don't avoid trading for Collins cause the team passed on him years ago.  You look at the player and the ask and decide.  It's like worrying about passing on guys cause they end up on the Patriots.  Who gives a ****?  Worry about us.  Worry about now.  All that other sh*t is just noise to post about.  I shouldn't effect the decision.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Will be 29 start of year, could be a good upgrade over Fant long term

Serious question. Why are some posters insisting on getting rid of Big George. George was arguably our MVP last season and played an excellent LT. Personally I would offer him an extension   

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The next time someone says "the cap isn't real" in the NFL remember what is happening to the Cowboys this offseason.

You can manipulate the cap but it's definitely real.

This is true, but I think the Rams blew all of that "you can't win like that" sh*t clear out of the water.  I'm sure they will be very upset that they mortgaged the future while they are polishing that Lombardi.

26 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The next time someone says "the cap isn't real" in the NFL remember what is happening to the Cowboys this offseason.

You can manipulate the cap but it's definitely real.

Of course it's real - but I think far too many people put far too much emphasis on it. 

We shouldn't be afraid of paying good players - it's part of the game.  Especially on a team like the Jets that have close to no talent. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bronx said:

You must be banking your money on Becton, the biggest concern for the Oline and Zach Wilson. 

I'm no Becton fan, but yes, I'm banking on him.  I think you have to - he was a first round pick a year ago and while not great, showed real promise his rookie year.

You can't trade for or draft his replacement yet.  That would simply be a poor allocation of resources on a team that his missing so much.  You need a quality back up, like a Moses but no need to bring in a starter.  I would much rather have a Moses and overpay Cooper than Collins and another JAG WR...

59 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is true, but I think the Rams blew all of that "you can't win like that" sh*t clear out of the water.  I'm sure they will be very upset that they mortgaged the future while they are polishing that Lombardi.

Agree, not the point I was trying to make. You can definitely win the way the Rams had. It's harder to sustain greatness when you do what the Rams have done because there's tremendous value to having good players who are young and cheap (by drafting them) but there's nothing wrong with recognizing your window and going all in.

43 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Of course it's real - but I think far too many people put far too much emphasis on it. 

We shouldn't be afraid of paying good players - it's part of the game.  Especially on a team like the Jets that have close to no talent. 

I'm not talking about the Jets here at all. We definitely shouldn't be outbid for anyone this offseason. Now is the time to pay guys during the 2-3 year window when we have several core (hopefully core, anyway) guys are cheap.

More of a general observation with regard to the board -- there seems to be an undercurrent of "it's a soft cap, it's never real." Clearly teams like the Cowboys (I expect the Saints to follow) are losing tangible talent because they have no other choice.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not saying they should trade Becton, but you don't hold on to Becton because he might be good elsewhere.  Just like you don't avoid trading for Collins cause the team passed on him years ago.  You look at the player and the ask and decide.  It's like worrying about passing on guys cause they end up on the Patriots.  Who gives a ****?  Worry about us.  Worry about now.  All that other sh*t is just noise to post about.  I shouldn't effect the decision.

Let me put it this way…..you would have to think JD and Saleh would  be at least be talking about  it. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not saying they should trade Becton, but you don't hold on to Becton because he might be good elsewhere.  Just like you don't avoid trading for Collins cause the team passed on him years ago.  You look at the player and the ask and decide.  

I don’t think we should trade Becton this year but I also feel that we should draft Ike and play him at guard for now then tackle next year  As I don’t think Becton will have his option picked up