Woody Interested in Buying Premier League Soccer Team

44 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

So... his only real responsibility he sucks at but you like his attitude?  He is an unaccomplished sperm club baby. Yes, Chris is dummer.  

There are worse owners, cheap bastards, guys who play not to win, do not try to win. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There are worse owners, cheap bastards, guys who play not to win, do not try to win. 

Woody is a bottom 5 owner based on our record the last 10 years. I dont care what they spend.. we spend poorly. Spending more money is NOT a factor. Winning is and we don't. 

2 hours ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

What? You don't look forward to playing the likes of Accrington Stanley? Or Morecambe? Or Sunderland?

I grew up in South London (Streatham) before moving to NY in my 20s and Chelsea were my team for better worse, mostly worse.  during those lean times.  We were, at best the 3rd best team in London behind Spurs and Arsenal.  Bigger clubs with bigger budgets,  Plus we had a chairman who practically bankrupted the team.  I had no choice in the purchase by the Russian billionaire but I confess I have enjoyed the fruits of an effectively unlimited budgets and being on the "big spender" side of the ledger during recent times.

To your question the answer is also yes, I do not look forward to playing the teams you mention unless it is in the 3rd round of the FA cup.

Ownership by Woody would be a disaster and unless a bona fide cheapskate buys the team (*cough* *cough* Glazer) I think they will bounce around the top tier in Europe for a few more years yet. The talent pipeline is good and it will take whoever buys them a few years to squander that,

6 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Jets fans: "Woody needs to stop meddling!!!!!!"

Also Jets fans: "Woody taking an ambassadorship and trying to buy a soccer team shows his focus isn't on the Jets!!!!"

It wasn’t the ambassadorship… it was that he couldn’t have chosen a lesser qualified successor.  If your DR retires, would you be ok with his unaccomplished brother? 

3 hours ago, the Claw said:

He should be forced to sell the Jets. One person shouldn’t be allowed to own two professional sports teams.

For one, I’m not a fan of individuals owning sports teams at all. Secondly, if someone has enough money to buy a second sports team, then there is more they could and should be doing for humanity with that money. 

I know that’s going to be unpopular and honestly I’d rather leave it at that 

• Sympathy 1

We are lucky to have Woody Johnson at this point in his ownership career.  There were some rough times, but Woody finally swallowed his ego and gave full control to Joe Douglas.

And the moment he did that, he became one of the best owners in the sport.  Woody Johnson is a huge asset at this point.  Woody is just writing checks now and Joe and Robert are doing the rest.  We are about to embark on the best decade of football this organization has ever had.

Thank you Woody Johnson!  Thank you!!

17 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Sources have told ESPN's James Olley that Abramovich is seeking around £3 billion ($2.24 billion) for the club. 

Sources are not familiar with the GBP to USD exchange rate.

It would be nearly $4 billion.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

oh, great...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33446527/sources-new-york-jets-owner-woody-johnson-interested-buying-english-premier-league-club-chelsea

Sources - New York Jets owner Woody Johnson interested in buying English Premier League club Chelsea

2:15 PM ET
  • schefter_adam.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Adam SchefterESPN Senior Writer

New York Jets owner Robert "Woody" Johnson is readying a bid for Chelsea F.C. in the English Premier League, according to sources close to the situation.

Johnson already has spoken to Raine Group, which is organizing the bid process, per sources, and he now is vying to become the latest NFL owner to buy into the Premier League.

There are natural synergies with both organizations as the Jets were just awarded marketing rights to the NFL's UK International Home Marketing Areas program. New York and London are sister cities, both culturally and economically.

Johnson is considered to be very knowledgeable of both the Chelsea club and the Premier League, having lived in London, where he served as the United States ambassador.

While there, Johnson is said to have become a fan of the organization and its supporters, and he is aware of the important role that the Premier League plays throughout the United Kingdom.

There currently are multiple NFL owners who own English Premier League teams: Los Angeles Rams owner Stan Kroenke and Arsenal F.C., Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan and Fulham F.C., the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Glazer Family and Manchester United, and the San Francisco 49ers' owner Jed York has a minority stake in Leeds United.

Chelsea is currently owned by Russian Roman Abramovich, whose decision to sell the club has apparently been influenced by mounting pressure on the U.K. government to seize the assets of high-value Russian individuals with links to Russia president Vladimir Putin's regime following the country's invasion of Ukraine. Abramovich has always denied any ties to Putin.

Sources have told ESPN's James Olley that Abramovich is seeking around £3 billion ($2.24 billion) for the club. Chelsea, which won the UEFA Champions League last year as Europe's top club team, is currently in third place in the Premier League.

Cool, now soccer players can use Chelsea in rumors to get a better deal from Manchester. 

On 3/7/2022 at 3:19 PM, Panzer Division Marduk said:

What? You don't look forward to playing the likes of Accrington Stanley? Or Morecambe? Or Sunderland?

I take it that those are teams below the Premier League? I know little of British football but I do know you can be demoted for poor play. If that were the rule in NFL, Jets would be in the 3rd rendition of the  USFL

On 3/7/2022 at 5:46 PM, southparkcpa said:

Well... 25 years ago, Amazon sold books, now look at Bezos. Musk etc..... THEY earned it, made our lives easier etc. Woody????  Was born well.

So, lots of rich people will their money to their kids and grandkids.  When did that become an oddity or a crime?  

Be bought one team for $600M that's now worth $5B, brings in huge returns each year, that makes him a "tool"?

Forget it

Bloomberg estimates Woody's net worth at around $5.67bn.

If Chelsea goes for $4bn as projected, I'm not exactly sure how he is considered a serious contender. Especially since so much of that value is already tied up in the Jets franchise.

Maybe he fronts a group of investors bc of his UK connections, but hard to see him owning them like he owns the Jets.