Mr. George Fant!

Bronx

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Selling him short. He was the #1 LT. The top two played against the JV's.

And the #1 on the list had Tom Brady as QB who gets the ball out quickly. Considering we were bottom of the league in this category it really shows how impressive Fant was this year.

• Upvote 4

He did a great job protecting a rookie QB while playing next to a rookie. Think it’s really important to have continuity there while Wilson is still developing. Hope they make him the LT and extend him.

I also think Fant’s bounce back year is also a great example of why the three year deal that lets guys hit FA again before 30 that Douglas has done a bunch is a good formula. Guys who sign that kind of a contract are going to look to produce through it because they want that next contract, instead of having a ton of guarantees over a long deal and mailing it in.

Fant’s likely to get another payday, and he came back last year still motivated because of the contract structure. Win-win. McGovern was better last year too. Hope we see bounce backs from Davis and Lawson this year.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Look at that list and imagine if JD had just taken Wirfs instead of Bacon.

Over the final seven weeks of the 2020 season, Pro Football Focus scored Becton with a 78.3 pass-blocking grade and a 72.4 run-blocking grade. Those marks ranked ninth and 10th, respectively, among qualified left tackles over that span. I was a fan of Wirfs coming out but Becton is still a good tackle. Horrible luck getting rolled up on. Its on him to keep his weight in check, he has every resource to get right now that he is presumably 100% healthy.  

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Over the final seven weeks of the 2020 season, Pro Football Focus scored Becton with a 78.3 pass-blocking grade and a 72.4 run-blocking grade. Those marks ranked ninth and 10th, respectively, among qualified left tackles over that span. I was a fan of Wirfs coming out but Becton is still a good tackle. Horrible luck getting rolled up on. Its on him to keep his weight in check, he has every resource to get right now that he is presumably 100% healthy.  

I think we all want the best for Becton. However,  he can't blame us loyal fans on our anger towards his preparedness. I hope he bounces back,  the judgement still on him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Well too bad it's not the 2020 season we just finished eh? 

If JD took Wirfs, we wouldnt even be talking about signing another tackle at all this offseason and could be allocating the resources towards a different position of need. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Well too bad it's not the 2020 season we just finished eh? 

If JD took Wirfs, we wouldnt even be talking about signing another tackle at all this offseason and could be allocating the resources towards a different position of need. 

Its easy to say that when Wirfs didn't get rolled up on. Oh wait he did, tried to pay through it, and was a huge liability down the stretch in the wild card. This stuff happens, its a part of the game. Wirfs could have hurt his ankle in Week 1 just as much as Becton did. Becton will be back, just like Wirfs will be. No need to draft a tackle at 4. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, derp said:

He did a great job protecting a rookie QB while playing next to a rookie. Think it’s really important to have continuity there while Wilson is still developing. Hope they make him the LT and extend him.

I also think Fant’s bounce back year is also a great example of why the three year deal that lets guys hit FA again before 30 that Douglas has done a bunch is a good formula. Guys who sign that kind of a contract are going to look to produce through it because they want that next contract, instead of having a ton of guarantees over a long deal and mailing it in.

Fant’s likely to get another payday, and he came back last year still motivated because of the contract structure. Win-win. McGovern was better last year too. Hope we see bounce backs from Davis and Lawson this year.

He's also a better system fit with his athleticism than he was in the power scheme Gase was running in my opinion and potentially thrived because of it.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I want Penning at #10.

Put him at RG for 2022 and kick out to RT 2023.

Travon Walker and Trevor Penning please.  It secures the most important positions and opens up the entire later rounds to grab the best WR/CB/S/TE/LB/RB later on.

On pure pass blocking, it seems Fant would beat out Becton at LT in an open competition. I would like to see Becton absolutely wreck folks at RT and keep the status quo at LT. Penning for a year at G, I can see it. Maybe replace Fant at LT if he walks.

I also like Zion in the 2nd or sign Lanken Tomlinson at the Guard spot. 

• Upvote 2

Fant was far and wide the best player on the Jets after moving to LT. There wasn't really another player that can compete. Sure, Elijah Moore and Michael Carter had good seasons, but Fant was so good, when he was out it was bright as day, which isn't normally what happens with OL players unless they are really that important

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Its easy to say that when Wirfs didn't get rolled up on. Oh wait he did, tried to pay through it, and was a huge liability down the stretch in the wild card. This stuff happens, its a part of the game. Wirfs could have hurt his ankle in Week 1 just as much as Becton did. Becton will be back, just like Wirfs will be. No need to draft a tackle at 4. 

If it happened in week 1 Wirfs would have been back by the bye week with the same injury. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Further evidence that Icky or Neal is not the jam at #4. 

If George Fant is really all that great the Jets should extend him right now and free up that 10 mil salary of Fant's for more free agents 

Ditto McGovern. 

These guys are playing out the last year of their contracts and they are like the 5th and 6th highest cap hits

If Fant isn't going to be here long term than Ikey at 4 makes a ton of sense. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If George Fant is really all that great the Jets should extend him right now and free up that 10 mil salary of Fant's for more free agents 

Ditto McGovern. 

These guys are playing out the last year of their contracts and they are like the 5th and 6th highest cap hits

If Fant isn't going to be here long term than Ikey at 4 makes a ton of sense. 

Agreed on extension. You don't let top 3 pass blockers walk with a young QB. Sign this guy, and kick Becton to RT so he can Hulk Smash.  

• Post of the Week 2

17 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Agreed on extension. You don't let top 3 pass blockers walk with a young QB. Sign this guy, and kick Becton to RT so he can Hulk Smash.  

But they aren't going to do that

Fant is 30, ended the year injured on a leg he's already had problems with and free agency starts in like 3 days