Cooper Trade Talks heating up

Just now, Beerfish said:

IF he is on is game, has two out of his 6 years where he has been poor to flat out bad for a top end wr.  I'm very leery of this player being able to be really good for a sting of years.

He has no more guaranteed money left on his contract outside of his base salary for this year.

If it ends up being a mistake, the Jets could cut ties completely after the season with no dead money on the books.

This is a no brainer to me

I’m perfectly fine with slightly overpaying Cooper over the next 2-3 years.

What baffles me is many of the same people who are against it would be thrilled with paying a dude like Allen Robinson $16-18 million a year, who’s almost two years older and had a huge drop off in production last year with signs of straight up dogging it on the field.

• Upvote 2

We have a lot of cap space however we also have lots of holes to fill. Cooper big cap hit would take us out of being real buyers in free agency. That $20M cap hit would sting. Then we have two high 1st round picks to account for towards the cap. I'm curious to see which team is willing to both compensate Dallas and obsorb Cooper's contract. Only team I see him tweaking his contract for is probably the Dolphins so he can play in his home town.

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I was ready to trade one of our 2nd’s for Cooper a couple of weeks ago.

I’d gladly trade our 3rd rounder

So basically you were willing to trade the 35th overall pick in the draft and now we see that the Cowboys would be willing to settle for something in the 115th pick and you think you are capable of determining whether JD is doing his job right? 

You realize that a GM that trades the 35th overall pick in the draft for a player that is clearly worth (AT BEST) a pick in the 100 range should be the one getting immediately fired?

Why don't we settle down and let JD build the team the way he sees fit and not the way you build your fantasy team. We could still end up using one of our 4 picks in the top 38 to add another really good WR that could help Zach for 7-8 years. We could also trade for Metcalf or another WR that shakes free. I don't think we have seen the end of teams trying to free up cap space. 

I wouldn't be upset if we trade for or sign Amari, but let's remember that Cooper is being cut in part because of this:

louding his overall performance, Amari Cooper's glaring lack of effort on the Dallas Cowboys' final, futile drive of the season helped sour the franchise - according to an NFL source - on keeping the $20 million-a-year receiver heading into 2022 and beyond.

"The Cowboys don't necessarily think he quit," the source said, "but ... let's just say they found his effort at the end troubling."

• Haha 2

They guy is not really not really elite on a team with a Top 15 ish QB and lots of other weapons and almost never facing double teams in the weakest division on football. He is no where near a #1 receiver and if we trade for him, everyone will be wondering why he is exceedingly average. Note I am not saying he is not good or not above average but he is not elite. If he was they would figure out how to keep him.

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So basically you were willing to trade the 35th overall pick in the draft and now we see that the Cowboys would be willing to settle for something in the 115th pick and you think you are capable of determining whether JD is doing his job right? 

You realize that a GM that trades the 35th overall pick in the draft for a player that is clearly worth (AT BEST) a pick in the 100 range should be the one getting immediately fired?

Why don't we settle down and let JD build the team the way he sees fit and not the way you build your fantasy team. We could still end up using one of our 4 picks in the top 38 to add another really good WR that could help Zach for 7-8 years. We could also trade for Metcalf or another WR that shakes free. I don't think we have seen the end of teams trying to free up cap space. 

I wouldn't be upset if we trade for or sign Amari, but let's remember that Cooper is being cut in part because of this:

louding his overall performance, Amari Cooper's glaring lack of effort on the Dallas Cowboys' final, futile drive of the season helped sour the franchise - according to an NFL source - on keeping the $20 million-a-year receiver heading into 2022 and beyond.

"The Cowboys don't necessarily think he quit," the source said, "but ... let's just say they found his effort at the end troubling."

No one believed this sh*t about a 4th or 5th rounder for Cooper until the reports of the Cowboys potentially cutting him came out not even two weeks ago.

If the Cowboys did in fact release him, he’s without question the top wideout on the market with 8-10 teams pursuing him and the Jets would have a snowballs chance in hell of landing him.

This offense highly values receivers who are good route runners who can create after the catch. Cooper is still damn good at both.

I don’t see why trading a 3rd rounder for the guy is some kind of controversial take.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Ehhh is he better than Allen Robinson? I’m not sure. Robinson will be cheaper and won’t cost a pick 

Cheaper $ per year probably but likely with dead money required if they cut him after a year. Pick could be recouped moving from pick 38 to 44. Robinson also gets to pick his team, Cooper doesn't in the case of a trade. And Robinson absolutely fell off a cliff last year, on an offense Darnell Mooney produced on. Hell Russell Gage nearly doubled up Robinson in a comparable number of games played. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Ehhh is he better than Allen Robinson? I’m not sure. Robinson will be cheaper and won’t cost a pick 

If they don’t get Cooper then it better be Robinson. If we don’t get one of those guys there will be a lot of angry fans

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

They guy is not really not really elite on a team with a Top 15 ish QB and lots of other weapons and almost never facing double teams in the weakest division on football. He is no where near a #1 receiver and if we trade for him, everyone will be wondering why he is exceedingly average. Note I am not saying he is not good or not above average but he is not elite. If he was they would figure out how to keep him.

Prescott is better than top 15.  Name 14 QBs better than him?  He's top 10 easily.  I agree with the rest of the post.  His lack of consistent production, especially in that offense and in big spots, is a bright red flag.  This will be the 2nd time a team gave up on him as well. Something is off.  He's a 2nd tier guy getting first tier money.  

4 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

If they don’t get Cooper then it bedded be Robinson. If we don’t get one of those guys there will be a lot of angry fans

Because with 2 top receivers available and 32 teams in the NFL bidding for them,  the Jets  (who are rebuilding and had poor QB play) will be idiots if they don't land one of the 2.  /s 

4 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Because with 2 top receivers available and 32 teams in the NFL bidding for them,  the Jets  (who are rebuilding and had poor QB play) will be idiots if they don't land one of the 2.  /s 

Well the Jets have a ton of cap space and draft capital to make it happen

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

this is clearly bullsh*t put out by the cowboys. they cant afford to keep him...so they want someone to bid vs themselfs and give them a 3/4. i'd sit tight and let things play out...they will cut him.

The reason you spend a pick if you're the Jets is because he won't sign here if he hits UFA. If we trade for him he's ours.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

No thanks. If we're trading rather trade for DK and if we're shopping I'd rather spend on Allen Robinson who's good value. 

Well, DK isn't going to cost a 4th round pick he's going to cost one of our firsts.

And top tier WRs don't sign with the Jets in FA considering we've sucked on offense and had terrible QB play for decades on end.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, derp said:

Cheaper $ per year probably but likely with dead money required if they cut him after a year. Pick could be recouped moving from pick 38 to 44. Robinson also gets to pick his team, Cooper doesn't in the case of a trade. And Robinson absolutely fell off a cliff last year, on an offense Darnell Mooney produced on. Hell Russell Gage nearly doubled up Robinson in a comparable number of games played. 

Robinson was tweeting about the jets last year if I remember right. He was showing interest before he got tagged. I didn’t watch the bears at all last year so I’m not sure why he had a down year. He’s been a rock with bad qbs for years. Big reliable target same age as cooper

edit correction he was liking tweets about him and the jets 

4B51CE7F-39EA-47CD-96AC-C07203A0992B.png

Jets won't get him, JD hording draft picks like Smaug for LOTR.  Also, prepare yourself for a mediocre Free Agency as well.  Nothing our GM has done in the past few years indicate any huge splashes or consensus top FAs.  Don't be me and get your hopes up like last season, do enjoy the off-season nonetheless!?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Robinson was tweeting about the jets last year if I remember right. He was showing interest before he got tagged. I didn’t watch the bears at all last year so I’m not sure why he had a down year. He’s been a rock with bad qbs for years. Big reliable target 

edit correction he was liking tweets about him and the jets 

4B51CE7F-39EA-47CD-96AC-C07203A0992B.png

I think last season with the #2 pick and a new staff and scheme the Jets had more hype. Robinson also projected for a pretty nice deal, which the Jets could afford to give. 

After a down year, Robinson’s probably looking at a one year deal to rebuild his value. And after the Jets having a bad year, plus Wilson not exactly setting the league on fire as a rookie, plus Davis and Moore now in place, I think the Jets are a less appealing situation anyway. Certainly not where I’d look to rebuild value as a veteran pass catcher on a one year deal - at least not if I had options.

And I know the Bears QB’s weren’t great but Darnell Mooney clearly passed Robinson in the Bears’ pecking order so it definitely wasn’t just the QB play.

11 minutes ago, derp said:

I think last season with the #2 pick and a new staff and scheme the Jets had more hype. Robinson also projected for a pretty nice deal, which the Jets could afford to give. 

After a down year, Robinson’s probably looking at a one year deal to rebuild his value. And after the Jets having a bad year, plus Wilson not exactly setting the league on fire as a rookie, plus Davis and Moore now in place, I think the Jets are a less appealing situation anyway. Certainly not where I’d look to rebuild value as a veteran pass catcher on a one year deal - at least not if I had options.

And I know the Bears QB’s weren’t great but Darnell Mooney clearly passed Robinson in the Bears’ pecking order so it definitely wasn’t just the QB play.

With the #2 pick he was willing to play with a rookie qb. Zach in year 2 is likely (I hope please god) to play better. Players seem to like the Shannahan system and lefleur really started to step it up last year after a bit. You don’t think he’d sign a 3 year 15-17 per deal if jd offered it? This gives the team flexibility to cut Davis after next year with Robinson and Moore on the team. 

13 minutes ago, DoubleDecker said:

Jets won't get him, JD hording draft picks like Smaug for LOTR.  Also, prepare yourself for a mediocre Free Agency as well.  Nothing our GM has done in the past few years indicate any huge splashes or consensus top FAs.  Don't be me and get your hopes up like last season, do enjoy the off-season nonetheless!?

Last season wasn't the year to go crazy in FA.   Was still tearing down...They didn't need to win and had little intention of doing so...

This is the year is time to be competitive.  I think JD has been frugal in the past - but I think this year he's going to start trying to bring in big time pieces.

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Last season wasn't the year to go crazy in FA.   Was still tearing down...They didn't need to win and had little intention of doing so...

This is the year is time to be competitive.  I think JD has been frugal in the past - but I think this year he's going to start trying to bring in big time pieces.

From your lips to god's ears!?

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

With the #2 pick he was willing to play with a rookie qb. Zach in year 2 is likely (I hope please god) to play better. Players seem to like the Shannahan system and lefleur really started to step it up last year after a bit. You don’t think he’d sign a 3 year 15-17 per deal if jd offered it? This gives the team flexibility to cut Davis after next year with Robinson and Moore on the team. 

Yeah, but that was with the hype of a really good rookie QB class. I hope Wilson plays better this year too, but that's coming off him not playing well last year. I'd say expectations for the #2 pick last year were likely higher than expectations for Wilson will be this year - a lot of people have written him off already. Probably too early but I think expectations are very low. 

I honestly have no feel for Robinson's market. I see a projection of 4/$90M on CBS and 4/$65.5M on Spotrac - both are crazy to me. He averaged 34 yards a game last year, Darnell Mooney averaged 62 yards a game on the same offense. The 34 yards a game is less than Elijah Moore, Jamison Crowder, or Corey Davis averaged per game. That's a really rough year and to me makes him a very risky signing. To me Robinson should need to go be the #2 in KC or something on a one year deal and try to sign a bigger contract next offseason, but if somebody offers a deal like one of those I'm sure he'd sign it.

6 minutes ago, hawk said:

Allen Robinson will cost less money and no draft capital.  

And has played on sh*t teams with sh*t QB’s literally his entire career, looking for one last payday.

Prime candidate for pissing in the Jets faces as he goes to a contender for equal or better money.

22 minutes ago, derp said:

Yeah, but that was with the hype of a really good rookie QB class. I hope Wilson plays better this year too, but that's coming off him not playing well last year. I'd say expectations for the #2 pick last year were likely higher than expectations for Wilson will be this year - a lot of people have written him off already. Probably too early but I think expectations are very low. 

I honestly have no feel for Robinson's market. I see a projection of 4/$90M on CBS and 4/$65.5M on Spotrac - both are crazy to me. He averaged 34 yards a game last year, Darnell Mooney averaged 62 yards a game on the same offense. The 34 yards a game is less than Elijah Moore, Jamison Crowder, or Corey Davis averaged per game. That's a really rough year and to me makes him a very risky signing. To me Robinson should need to go be the #2 in KC or something on a one year deal and try to sign a bigger contract next offseason, but if somebody offers a deal like one of those I'm sure he'd sign it.

So after reading some bears Reddit it seems like arob was super pissed he got tagged and half assed it during the season. Got less targets and overall just wasn’t happy. Played like he didn’t want to be there. This is concerning, but I can understand to a certain degree. It totally makes sense that he was very angry that they tagged him after he told them not to. His poor production doesn’t seem to be that his talent dropped, but more so with lack of effort and a poor offense. 

If he’s actually happy and goes where he wants he still has the talent to be a top 15 wr.