Cooper Trade Talks heating up

8 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

So after reading some bears Reddit it seems like arob was super pissed he got tagged and half assed it during the season. Got less targets and overall just wasn’t happy. Played like he didn’t want to be there. This is concerning, but I can understand to a certain degree. It totally makes sense that he was very angry that they tagged him after he told them not to. His poor production doesn’t seem to be that his talent dropped, but more so with lack of effort and a poor offense. 

If he’s actually happy and goes where he wants he still has the talent to be a top 15 wr. 

I mean, maybe that’s the case. If so, silly. Real cut off your nose to spite your face situation.

I don’t think losing a step would impact him that much since he was never really a speed guy, but it’s a huge production drop to really low levels and some guys just don’t age well. So maybe it’s age, maybe it’s effort, neither is great. He’s a much riskier signing than he gets credit for being.

Again, I’d get the offense more - but Mooney was solid. I’m also still annoyed the Jets didn’t draft Mooney.

• Sympathy 1

I haven’t been a huge fan of Cooper for some odd reason, but his veteran skill set at the position could be a huge catalyst for ZW’s development. The more I think about it, he’d be an excellent stop-gap veteran with a contract that the Jets can afford to take on for the sake of their neophyte QB.  If a 4th rounder gets him in a Jets uniform do it!! due to the Dallas salary cap fire sale, and in a free market competing with another 31 teams as a FA, WHY would Cooper sign here unless for a ridiculous contract which would NOT be wise and against JD’s MO.

Like many already stated, the more you think about it, JD should trade for Cooper; it’s too good of a deal to pass up.

• Upvote 1

JD loves OL. So... I'm sure he'll get some of these guys if he thinks they're an upgrade.   Versatile centers like Bradley Bozeman or Ryan Jensen.   Laken Tomlinson, James Daniels, Alex Cappa or Connor Williams.  He may sign one of these OGs too. 

But...

If the Jets can't come away with Metcalf...or at least get a Cooper or Robinson.   And I can understand the arguments for or against Cooper and Robinson.  Then for sure...I'm hoping for this in the draft...

Take two WRs...

At #s 4 or 10:  Wilson-London-Jameson Williams

At #s 34-38 or 69: Christian Watson-George Pickens-Kevin Austin Jr.-Alec Pierce 

Take two TEs...

At #s 34-38 McBride-Likely 

At #s 69; 109 or 115: Jalen Wydermyer-Jeremy Ruckert-Greg Dulcich-Charlie Kolar 

RB take one...

At #s 69 Breece Hall-James Cook

At #s109 or 115; Kenneth Walker III-Zamir White

At #s 145 or 162; Pierre Strong Jr.-Rachaad White-Isaih Pacheco 

Jets have failed miserably in drafting and developing QBs.  Take a deep dive in the history of Jets QBs.  And you will find only Namath, Ken O'Brien and Vinny Testaverde as the only QBs to thow 20 TDs in a season twice...as a Jets QB.  Nobody's has ever done it three times.  The rest...some once...some none.   That's the pathetic entire QB history.  From the Titans to the present.  That failed history has to end...now.   Bills focused on getting rookie Josh Allen up to speed. Making sure he improved.  And with that focus...Allen improved from just 10 TDs tossed, to 20 TDs in his 2nd season.  Zach Wilson needs to go from 9 TDs to 20+ in this upcoming season.  No excuses for JD-Saleh not to make sure that this can happen.  If ZW can't get there.  It has to be ZW's fault.  And not because of lack of focus and attention on the part of JD-Saleh.  They have to upgrade his tools...and let the fail be on Zach.   

Again...

Jets #1 focus has to be Zach Wilson's development and success.  Improving the OL and upgrading the weapons should be a priority of this offseason.  No excuses...not because of injuries or otherwise.  Especially injuries...allowing that occurrence a 2nd time...for your #2 QB pick.  Who had to operate an offense with a patched up OL.  Too often...Braxton Berrios and a bunch of nobodies for weapons.   Can't happen again.  ZW must have an improved OL and significant upgrades at WR-TE.  Plus another stud RB to complement MC. 

IMO...ZW won't fail...if JD-Saleh don't fail him.   If ZW ends up joining the graveyard of failed QBs.  So will the JD-Saleh Era join the graveyard of GM-HC fails.  Then the Jets join the circle-jerk carousel once again. 

Can't help it...I can feel it...disappointing days ahead.  Once again...  

JD-Saleh...give it up for ZW...por favor!  

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, hawk said:

Allen Robinson will cost less money and no draft capital.  

Not really, on the money cost; or anyway it depends. 

• If they're both successful signings then it seems likely Robinson will sign for less than the $20MM/year on Cooper's deal. In that case, Robinson is cheaper, probably to the tune of $2-5MM/yr (we'll find out once he signs somewhere). Over a few years call that about $10MM.
  • If they're both unsuccessful then Cooper will cost less, since he can be cut after 1 year $20MM. Robinson will surely get a minimum of 2 years fully guaranteed, at a bare minimum of $15MM/year. In that case, Cooper is less than Robinson by a minimum of $10MM. If he gets 2.5 to 3 years guar at ~$15-16MM then you're talking about guaranteeing more than twice Cooper's 1-year guarantee.

If they traded for Cooper and he did pan out, few (if any) will worry about giving up a 3rd or 4th rounder among their 9 draft picks after they make 4 picks in the first 2 rounds -- assuming they don't trade down in round 1 to accumulate even more.

Me? Devil's in the details - particularly on trade compensation for Cooper and contract details for Robinson - but I'd be happy with either one over what we have. It's Douglas's job to hear what we don't about each player, to make the correct decision. The money's of little consequence, and honestly it's of no consequence at all when you're talking about the small difference in money between the two.

The Jets will be >$100MM under the 2023 cap, with the ability to easily clear a lot more space if they're not getting expected production from Mosley, Lawson, JFM and/or Davis. Plus QW would have trade value, too, and would clear his 5th yr option amount. 

• Upvote 4

you really want to get Cooper then we have to blow everybodys offer away. they want a 3rd but will take a 4th? well lets give them a 2nd rd pick.

if we offer what everyone else does then there is no guarantee we get him. then most of you will cry that JD didnt get him cause he didnt want to give them a 3rd rd pick. but maybe he did and they just chose a different team with the same offer.

dont be cheap. get it done

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

IF he is on is game, has two out of his 6 years where he has been poor to flat out bad for a top end wr.  I'm very leery of this player being able to be really good for a sting of years.

When exactly did he have these flat out bad years?  When he had almost 700 yards in 12 starts, had his best yards per.  Or was it when he had 865 yards in 15 starts last year.  

And hes had 7 years, 5 with more than 1K yards.  Or every year other than the two above

I think you may be selling him short, hes nothing to complain about

I think that Robinson has the potential for a Brandon Marshall-like bounceback season this year, but (assuming that JD is interested) I'm worried about having to compete against the Eagles to sign him.  They were reportedly going hard after a Ridley trade before the gambling scandal broke, and they’re a more attractive destination at this point.

The advantage of pursuing a trade for Cooper would be that he’s the one high-profile available WR that the Eagles have no chance of getting, at least not via trade.  Obviously, Dallas would never send him to arguably their biggest rival, and in fact, would probably be motivated to accept a trade offer, particularly to an AFC team, to avoid letting him hit the open market knowing that Philly is going big WR hunting.

Having said that, I’m also open to the idea of drafting a WR with one of our top picks and paying a rookie salary vs. big premium-position money on a veteran.

9 minutes ago, MykePM said:

I think that Robinson has the potential for a Brandon Marshall-like bounceback season this year, but (assuming that JD is interested) I'm worried about having to compete against the Eagles to sign him.  They were reportedly going hard after a Ridley trade before the gambling scandal broke, and they’re a more attractive destination at this point.

The advantage of pursuing a trade for Cooper would be that he’s the one high-profile available WR that the Eagles have no chance of getting, at least not via trade.  Obviously, Dallas would never send him to arguably their biggest rival, and in fact, would probably be motivated to accept a trade offer, particularly to an AFC team, to avoid letting him hit the open market knowing that Philly is going big WR hunting.

Having said that, I’m also open to the idea of drafting a WR with one of our top picks and paying a rookie salary vs. big premium-position money on a veteran.

Good post. Agree with everything here, albeit a bit skeptical on Robinson's bounce-back but I'd be willing to roll the dice regardless if a Cooper deal didn't materialize.

To a broader point, though, even if one of the prospects in this draft has 'higher upside' and is more cap friendly, I can't help but think that Cooper is the best solution. Next year is a make-or-break year for Wilson and this coaching staff. A reliable veteran is far more valuable to us because they're far more likely to contribute immediately. 

A really interesting strategy would be trading for Cooper and then drafting someone like Christian Watson @ the top of round 2, or in a trade down from 10 (or up from 35). We'd combine that immediate contribution with a freakish traits rookie that we can afford to develop over time. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not really, on the money cost; or anyway it depends. 

• If they're both successful signings then it seems likely Robinson will sign for less than the $20MM/year on Cooper's deal. In that case, Robinson is cheaper, probably to the tune of $2-5MM/yr (we'll find out once he signs somewhere). Over a few years call that about $10MM.
  • If they're both unsuccessful then Cooper will cost less, since he can be cut after 1 year $20MM. Robinson will surely get a minimum of 2 years fully guaranteed, at a bare minimum of $15MM/year. In that case, Cooper is less than Robinson by a minimum of $10MM. If he gets 2.5 to 3 years guar at ~$15-16MM then you're talking about guaranteeing more than twice Cooper's 1-year guarantee.

If they traded for Cooper and he did pan out, few (if any) will worry about giving up a 3rd or 4th rounder among their 9 draft picks after they make 4 picks in the first 2 rounds -- assuming they don't trade down in round 1 to accumulate even more.

Me? Devil's in the details - particularly on trade compensation for Cooper and contract details for Robinson - but I'd be happy with either one over what we have. It's Douglas's job to hear what we don't about each player, to make the correct decision. The money's of little consequence, and honestly it's of no consequence at all when you're talking about the small difference in money between the two.

The Jets will be >$100MM under the 2023 cap, with the ability to easily clear a lot more space if they're not getting expected production from Mosley, Lawson, JFM and/or Davis. Plus QW would have trade value, too, and would clear his 5th yr option amount. 

Maybe it's just me, but I think Cooper is the better player by a wide margin.

• Upvote 2

Good post. Agree with everything here, albeit a bit skeptical on Robinson's bounce-back but I'd be willing to roll the dice regardless if a Cooper deal didn't materialize.
To a broader point, though, even if one of the prospects in this draft has 'higher upside' and is more cap friendly, I can't help but think that Cooper is the best solution. Next year is a make-or-break year for Wilson and this coaching staff. A reliable veteran is far more valuable to us because they're far more likely to contribute immediately. 
A really interesting strategy would be trading for Cooper and then drafting someone like Christian Watson @ the top of round 2, or in a trade down from 10 (or up from 35). We'd combine that immediate contribution with a freakish traits rookie that we can afford to develop over time. 
Next year is not make or break year for this coaching staff or Wilson not even close. They will definitely get more than 2 years of evaluation.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

FWIW, Keyshawn thinks Cooper is destined for the Chiefs. I would suggest that the Chiefs QB situation is a little better than the Jets QB situation, but I don’t want to spend the day getting yelled at.

I take it you're not married?? Chiefs are possible....last week, I believe, Mahommes "hinted" to their brass that he would like them to address the WR position in FA vs the draft. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

FWIW, Keyshawn thinks Cooper is destined for the Chiefs. I would suggest that the Chiefs QB situation is a little better than the Jets QB situation, but I don’t want to spend the day getting yelled at.

This can’t possibly be true though because everyone knows a good QB can turn a broom stick into a a good WR, surely Mahomes knows that he doesn’t need talent around him.

• Haha 3

I’d do it for a 4th definitely.  If it cost a third I probably would because our first four picks are high.  For me I’m not trading the 4th, 10th, 35th, or 38th.  Those are all good positions to get good  players to fill in holes on rookie deals 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, doitny said:

you really want to get Cooper then we have to blow everybodys offer away. they want a 3rd but will take a 4th? well lets give them a 2nd rd pick.

if we offer what everyone else does then there is no guarantee we get him. then most of you will cry that JD didnt get him cause he didnt want to give them a 3rd rd pick. but maybe he did and they just chose a different team with the same offer.

dont be cheap. get it done

That’s not good asset management 

4 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Next year is not make or break year for this coaching staff or Wilson not even close. They will definitely get more than 2 years of evaluation.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

Plenty of coaches and quarterbacks make a significant jump in year 2. A tiny minority make that jump in year 3. 

Get Zach the tools now. 

I'm not interested in that lame duck year 3 where we're all sitting arguing "well, Cooper was being paid a lot, and we needed that third rounder for BJ Askew".

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Not so sure. We beat the AFC champs with out backup QB and the Chiefs lost to CINCY with their starter. I’m sure that means everything to free agents and trade targets…

16 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Well, DK isn't going to cost a 4th round pick he's going to cost one of our firsts.

And top tier WRs don't sign with the Jets in FA considering we've sucked on offense and had terrible QB play for decades on end.

Didn't realize he was going for a 4th round pick. Both points are fair. 

I just personally don't think he's a top tier WR - he has disappeared in games over the years. Something has to be off considering he fizzled out in Oakland and in Dallas both had quality QBs throwing to him too. 

I think he's good but trading for him would take away our prospects of drafting a WR like Wilson, Burks, London who I think are better WR's in general and in the long run. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jets723 said:

That’s not good asset management 

true but if you really want him we have to make them an offer they cant refuse.

i just feel like with all things being equal Dallas wont care much if the 3rd or 4th rd pick is better by 6 or 8 slots. they might just do right by Cooper and send him to a better team. but now if our pick is one rd higher than everybody Elses that's a different story. 

like if Denver wants him and gives up there 3rd (75) and we offer ours at 69 im not sure if that will make much difference. but counter that by offering 38 vs 75 then he becomes a Jet. 

i dont want to give up any of our 2nd rd picks either, and im not sure i want him but if we do we might have to offer much more than anyone else.