Official 2022 Free Agency Thread

58 minutes ago, slats said:

I don’t think Joe Douglas is done yet. I’d expect a WR in free agency still, even if it’s not a top guy. A better version of the Keelan Cole signing, maybe? The draft is the place to find WRs, though. Find the guy who’ll be commanding $25M/year down the road for $5M/year now. 

And with the additions at TE, the WR need isn’t nearly as great. They didn’t have real receiving options at TE last year, now they have a couple. Sure, we lost Crowder, but I can definitely see LaFluer putting one of these TEs in the slot, and Berrios ain’t too bad, either. And rookie WRs don’t take as long to develop in the NFL as they used to with all these wide open offenses in college nowadays. TEs still do, making that the wise investment in free agency, especially because they come relatively cheap. 

The TEs we picked up are JAGs but they're the best we've had in years (so freakin sad).

Face it, our #1 WR is going to be a rookie coming out of the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft.

7 minutes ago, football guy said:

I don’t expect much. Maybe scoop up more depth guys such as a RB (Penny? Mack?) that falls through the cracks, a LB, an interior DL, backup WR, etc. but not expecting any splashes. 

I do expect them to attack the trade market. People mentioning Danielle Hunter, but I wouldn’t rule out an interior DL; Grady Jarrett and Fletcher Cox are names that have been out there in the media. Could also see them trying to get a proven WR if anyone is willing to trade theirs

Denver have a number of quality WR and their first draft pick is #64.

1 minute ago, football guy said:

A lot. They have plenty of room to add a big contract + their draft class. 

Atlanta has been trying to get an extension done with Grady Jarrett but it’s gone nowhere. That intrigues me the most right now 

At this point are you thinking edge at 4, and wr at 10 or OT at 10?  Or DT at 10?

SEA has managed to open up around $30M of cap room in the last few days.  I can't see any reason they would want to trade Metcalf unless it was a serious overpay or he started making a lot more noise about wanting out.  

Ridley was a serious blow but it is what it is.  

There really isn't another WR we could trade for out there that could come in and be our #1 that I can see.  Parker is always hurts and trading with MIA is always challenging anyway.

I suppose we could kick the tires on guys like Robinson, Beckham or Juju they would do a short deal but I'm not holding my breath.

I think the answer almost has to come from the draft.  Really will be curious to see if the staff values one of the top guys enough to grab them high, or is content to pull a WR card at the top of round 2.

Even after all the signings, we still have more needs to fill than picks in the top 40.  But at least some of them aren't as glaring as they were 3 days ago.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

SEA has managed to open up around $30M of cap room in the last few days.  I can't see any reason they would want to trade Metcalf unless it was a serious overpay or he started making a lot more noise about wanting out.  

Ridley was a serious blow but it is what it is.  

There really isn't another WR we could trade for out there that could come in and be our #1 that I can see.  Parker is always hurts and trading with MIA is always challenging anyway.

I suppose we could kick the tires on guys like Robinson, Beckham or Juju they would do a short deal but I'm not holding my breath.

I think the answer almost has to come from the draft.  Really will be curious to see if the staff values one of the top guys enough to grab them high, or is content to pull a WR card at the top of round 2.

Even after all the signings, we still have more needs to fill than picks in the top 40.  But at least some of them aren't as glaring as they were 3 days ago.

Would it be possible to trade for Ridley at a major discount and have him on the backburner for 2023?   I guess it'll never happen but I just wonder if that approach would even be feasible.

• Upvote 1

It's like a scripted reality show.  CLE is the gift that keeps on giving.

So who's left for Watson now?  Not really much out there after all the moves.  CAR and SEA?  Could NO actually scrape up the cap room?  I can't see any other options at this point.

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Baker is still their best realistic option, right? 

Just Have a feeling with no rumors or anything information which says anything about this scenario that Baker will be traded to Carolina for Darnold. Carolina throws in a draft pick or two. Both players desperately need a change of teams 

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Would it be possible to trade for Ridley at a major discount and have him on the backburner for 2023?   I guess it'll never happen but I just wonder if that approach would even be feasible.

Possible but would you give more than a 6th for him now and would ATL bother taking that rather than just waiting the year out?  I just can't figure out if the guy even wants to play football anymore.  Such a weird story.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's like a scripted reality show.  CLE is the gift that keeps on giving.

So who's left for Watson now?  Not really much out there after all the moves.  CAR and SEA?  Could NO actually scrape up the cap room?  I can't see any other options at this point.

Sounds like Saints are the front runners with ATL in the mix. 

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Not sure, but based on this comment from Hughes, sounds like we still have room for more moves.

I would have guessed we were saving cap for Jones.  Now that he's gone, Hunter is the only big name out there I can think of.  But the odd thing is if we trade for Hunter, is Edge still on the table this draft in the 1st round?  If not, who the heck do we pick?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I would have guessed we were saving cap for Jones.  Now that he's gone, Hunter is the only big name out there I can think of.  But the odd thing is if we trade for Hunter, is Edge still on the table this draft in the 1st round?  If not, who the heck do we pick?

OT and DT

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's nice to have flexibility. In this scenario, I'd go BPA at #4 (Sauce? Ekwonu?) and my favorite WR at 10.