Official 2022 Free Agency Thread

8 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

Ah - then I misunderstood. I guess I think more along the lines that he's just a part of the puzzle - a critical one - but I feel like the whole team and staff needs to step up. 

I do think Wilson will be better - two years in the pros and in the same offense (which is true for all his teammates as well,) will mean more reacting and less digesting. If he can get into the 15 to 20 range, that's still a huge improvement over being 31st or whatever he was last year. If we get a top tier receiver, then yes, I agree 10-15 is more of an expectation. I still remind myself that overall, it's a very young team with a young coaching staff, and I have to temper my 50 years of crushed hopes. Even if everything regresses to the mean, in our case, it  should trend up, and  it SHOULD mean we catch a break or two for a change - not have massive key injuries and other misfortune. 

I also think - and this is probably heresy - that even if he is average, the team's success will depend on how good the rest of the squad turns out to be, and how quickly. To be competitive with a solid roster, a la Denver or Indy, isn't a bad starting point for long terms success. Top ten QB draft picks might be more a gamble than picks at any other (premium - as in overdrafted in value) position. Coaching, surrounding talent - look at Allen at Buffalo and Jackson with the Ravens: both probably considered the biggest gambles of their drafts, turning out pretty good. Even that stiff starting for the Cheats looks relatively good, not because he has extraordinary talent, but because he slipped into a broken-in saddle, with a surrounding established system and staff to nurse him. (Disgusting image of Bill Belicheat nursing him pops into my head - blech.)  

Yeah, I'd agree with all that. I don't believe it's all on Wilson -- certainly not next year -- and a lot will depend on the team around him. Hopefully, though, that in due time, he does turn into the guy who can elevate the players around him and put games on his back. I mean, that's the hope that every QB turns into, right?

Until then, though, I will judge him largely on his own performance, and not the overall record of the team. Although we are getting to the point in the rebuild that I need to see a 7-9 win season minimum before I loose faith in JD, but that's another conversation.

I want to see Zach start to look like, at least, an average QB (which, as you said, would be an enormous jump), and the better talent he has around him, the higher the expectations and the less excuses he has. With one more WR like Adams, this could be the most talented offensive roster we've had since 2010 (with a WR core of Adams, Davis, Moore, Berrios, Rookie having the potential to surpass that). Despite my skepticism of Wilson, I am, as always, excited by the potential of what he could do with this offense.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Fletcher Cox??? Ok then. Lawson, Q, JFM, Cox, and #4 would be one of the most violent lines in the NFL. Jets would have the best OL and DL front in the East

DE  Carl Lawson
DT  Fletcher Cox
DT  Quinnen Williams
DE  Kayvon Thibodeux

watch out if this happened

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

In 2 years the Rams will crash and burn in cap hell and McVay will run to the Monday Night Booth.  The Rams will then suck for a decade or more. Honestly, the Rams Super Bowl is bogus to me.  Thats not impressive.  The way we are doing it is going to be legendary!

I don't know what kind of happy pill you are on, but pass some my way please.

I don't care if people think I'm in lolla lolla land after either.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Stark said:

the Cap is the least of my concern tbh... we have seen its easily manipulated every year

All you need is a Capologist who can gaslight the sh*t out of the cap every year and everything will be juuuusssst fiiiiine...

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

lol

Not that I blame him, but... that does make him seem just a taaaaaaad butthurt.

My apologies @Matt39

It gets better spoot.

The first team to contact the Browns asking about him… the Seattle Seahawks.

The thought of Baker and the best in the Nayshun together is almost too much to handle.

I’ve got my Seahawk gear in a Fanatics cart just waiting for this to happen.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

legitimately curious what you do, and how you've managed to have the time to lead us through these few days.

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

legitimately curious what you do, and how you've managed to have the time to lead us through these few days.

I’m guessing he’s a Congressman.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

It gets better spoot.

The first team to contact the Browns asking about him… the Seattle Seahawks.

The thought of Baker and the best in the Nayshun together is almost too much to handle.

I’ve got my Seahawk gear in a Fanatics cart just waiting for this to happen.

Waiting for the inevitable public Baker vs. Jamal feud that would occur like:

Season 3 Abc GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

• Haha 1