Official 2022 Free Agency Thread

Jetlife33

Just now, johnnysd said:

100%. I still think he is the best college QB I have seen. The Jets did not handle him well at the beginning, forcing lots of 2 TE sets and running almost exclusively on 1st and 2nd down which put him in horrible situations. Our OL was terrible first half of the year. And NFL speed was too fast for Zach for quite a while. But he put things together at the end of the year and improved noticeably each game. Unfortunately injuries continued to ravish his weapons but he still played decent. Was he bad overall, yes.

But, when you look at his skills, athleticism, and progress there is no reason to not think he will develop into the FQB we expected him to be.

That’s fair and I appreciate your opinion. Myself, I am skeptical of Wilson. I just don’t see it, and I hope to be mocked relentlessly if he turns it around. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s fair and I appreciate your opinion. Myself, I am skeptical of Wilson. I just don’t see it, and I hope to be mocked relentlessly if he turns it around. 

Don't worry.

You'll be mocked relentlessly, regardless.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, I guess I see everything these Jets are doing as a long-con half measure that ultimately leads to nowhere. In the Jets division, the Bills are going to be dynastic, and it would appear as though the Patriots are going to stay good; in the AFC, the Jets are easily the worst, most talent-poor team three years in to Joe Douglas’s regime. It would appear that the plan going forward is to just run the ball a million times to hide the middling QB, which is what Saleh learned from Shanahan. I don’t see how that gets the Jets close to competing for anything any time soon, which is why I was advocating for taking the Hail Mary shot at Watson and keeping fingers crossed that it would work out. They had the draft capital to do it, and Watson was allegedly amenable to playing here (as rumored when he first made his trade request, pre-allegations). 

As fun as some of these signings have been, Douglas only got two players who can possibly move the needle in Tomlinson and Reed. Uzomah and Conklin are obviously better than what we has at TE, but even with that, they’re just solid veteran players. I very much appreciate using free agency to add players at low-value positions so as not to waste draft capital on guards and TEs, but we went into free agency as three to six win team and we come out of it as a three to six win team. Is the draft going to change that? Douglas had a catastrophic 2020 draft and a reasonably good 2021 draft (a guard, a WR2, RB2, and a bunch of CBs that they apparently don’t think are even CB2 quality). We hold picks 4 and 10 in what is widely considered to be a weak first round, particularly at positions of our greatest need. Zero chance he’s picking Thibodeaux (assuming he falls), and it’s unlikely he burns a top ten on any of these receivers unless he thinks Garrett Wilson is Deebo Samuel. I understand the theory behind the “plan,” I just don’t see how it works within the time frame they need it to work. Without some Zach Wilson epiphany, it’s the road to nowhere, and Wilson hasn’t given anyone any reason to believe he’s any good. 

Without some Zach ephiphany, we are definitely dead.  But, we still have 4 high picks to find that #1 WR.  I don't know if not getting Allen Robinson is the difference maker that gets us on par w/ the Bills.  I don't know if there were better TEs available to us, and it still wouldn't surprise me if we go TE with one of our top picks.  Regardless of the Bills and Pats, I'm struggling to see what we could have realistically done to change things w/o a Zach epiphany.  Watson had 0 meetings with NFC teams, that should tell us something, no?

I'm willing to see how the draft plays out prior to burying it though.  We'll know soon enough.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Can you honestly say that in the face of 22 accusations along with corroborations from masseuses that were looking for NOTHING - no notierity, no criminal charges, no money that is not way way more likely that he did these things than not? And that is the standard (or supposed to be) for the NFL. Not being indited does not mean that he is innocent in any way. People just dismissing his behavior and acting like he and not the women is the victim is just misogynistic ignorant and wrong.

But he is innocent.  That’s what you do not get.  That is how the greatest system in the world works.  I hope you would want the same presumption of innocence for you and your family. Accusations are just that.  I can accuse you right now.   And they have to be corroborated in a criminal case, not in the media 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, J_Smith said:

Comes to see FA news…. 

HeRe’s WhY i dOn’T ThiNK wIlSon iS gOOd!

hERe’s wHy I dO tHiNk wIlsON iS gOod

Yup, unfortunately there are a handful of people that frequent this message board and insist on cluttering every thread with Zach Wilson attacks.

They know there are more than plenty of threads created precisely to attack him -  but choose to do it anyway - for reasons I can't really understand.

It's sad really.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

But he is innocent.  That’s what you do not get.  That is how the greatest system in the world works.  I hope you would want the same presumption of innocence for you and your family. Accusations are just that.  I can accuse you right now.   And they have to be corroborated in a criminal case, not in the media 

Wonderful.  I think everyone is okay with the fact that Deshaun Watson is not being sent to jail, due to a lack of physical evidence, as that is how the system should work, even if it leaves victims in this specific circumstance far too often with little recourse.  But, there's also a fairly large gap in between Deshaun Watson should not be in jail and I (singular owner of any specific NFL team) should/have to/am comfortable with giving him 10s of millions of dollars and making him the face of my franchise.  Obviously some owners will be okay with this, others will not.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I just don’t think they have the amount of rope to save themselves that they think they do. 

I think they probably do.  I bet they get 2022 and all of 2023.  What I doubt they'll get is the opportunity to draft another QB.  I think Woody has been sold on the long game, but obviously none of us can know that.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Baker Mayfield isn’t supposedly good enough. Let that settle in after you compare rookie seasons. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Adams, Robinson, people that win you football games and make our very marginal to weak QB at the moment better.

I love DJ Reed and guys like Whitehead but they arent winning you superbowls. Lets face it, honestly Whitehead is a downgrade from Maye. Once again JD didnt wan to pay MArcus Williams

You're better than this. Marcus Maye is a zero impact player.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If someone thinks Wilson is the best college QB they ever saw, then I have to wonder if they started following the draft in the last 2 years

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, derp said:

The goal is to be like the Baltimore franchise that just got Marcus Williams, presumably for less than the Jets would’ve had to pay him, right? Or that the Jets had to massively overpay Mosley to leave.

It’s a little boring and it may or may not work, but it’s a nice goal. Franchises that are consistently successful like Baltimore run like a well-oiled machine. They have a solid group of dudes who like football and are talented, build a good culture, win some games, and guys want to play there. With guys wanting to play there they get their pick of who stays, don’t have to overpay those guys, and get comp picks when the others walk. It’s an easy sell for veterans and they get cheap, solid guys to fill out their roster.

I don’t think it’s easy to replicate and I’m not sure Douglas and Saleh are the guys to do that, but I do think it’s a worthwhile goal. Certainly better than going all in for a year of mediocrity.

I think if you’re going to try to do it, you kind of have to do it slowly and with those less flashy, solid but good guy acquisitions. The talent level is certainly better than it was last season, it’s probably better matched to what the coaching staff wants to do schematically, they’ve still got draft picks to work with, and there are plenty of young players who can improve. They get this thing to around .500 and they’re building momentum and have a ton of cap space.

Once they’re comfortable with the culture in house, then I think they make isolated shots at talent they think the locker room can help to mature. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that teams like Baltimore and New England (think I just vomited in my mouth a little) have an easier time when they take character risks than other teams. Great to get to that point, but I think if you do it while you’re trying to get that culture in place there’s a great chance it blows up.

That is the Goal be a well run org, that doesn't over pay or have to pay bad team tax when signing players. You do that the way Joe D is doing it, signing good contracts on players that don't break the bank to get the roster to average level, while avoiding the big FA splashes that have burned us and every other bad team int he past. Once the org is run right, you can maybe get that 1 top FA guy that might give the team the big advantage all the while not sabotaging the roster and future seasons. This way some draft pick turns into the next arron rogers or chase, you can sign them and keep them. 

It has been slow but we are much better off today and continue to get better under Joe. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Actually that is NOT how the system works. He is not facing criminal charges. First of all that is not the same thing as innocent, and second it is completely irrelevant to his situation in the NFL. Complete irrelevant.

Football players play under a collective bargaining agreement and part of that is a personal conduct policy. Under that policy which is supposed to be extra strict on sexual and domestic violence the burden of proof is simply "more likely than not". He is unquestionably more likely than not to have committed these assaults and the NFL punishment should be severe. This is also the same for the civil cases he faces and all civil cases-simple majority.

We are not talking about taking away his freedom we are talking about the privilege of representing and playing in the NFL

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Baker Mayfield isn’t supposedly good enough. Let that settle in after you compare rookie seasons. 

Baker's 63.8 pct completion pct as a rookie was the best of his 4 year career. It was also his highest yards per attempt and yards per game of his career. 

Baker pretty clearly peaked as a rookie. Hopefully, Wilson is the opposite. Starts out slow and continually gets better. 

I think he has the OC and now he has the supporting cast to help that development. I also don't Wilson (despite being a pretty boy) as a guy that rubs his teammates the wrong way like Baker seemingly has. 

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Actually that is NOT how the system works. He is not facing criminal charges. First of all that is not the same thing as innocent, and second it is completely irrelevant to his situation in the NFL. Complete irrelevant.

Football players play under a collective bargaining agreement and part of that is a personal conduct policy. Under that policy which is supposed to be extra strict on sexual and domestic violence the burden of proof is simply "more likely than not". He is unquestionably more likely than not to have committed these assaults and the NFL punishment should be severe. This is also the same for the civil cases he faces and all civil cases-simple majority.

We are not talking about taking away his freedom we are talking about the privilege of representing and playing in the NFL

Johnnylawyersd...haha nice one. that is a pretty convincing argument 

• Upvote 2