Official 2022 Free Agency Thread

7 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I liked those.

But signing a 15 mil a year safety is the opposite of "building through the trenches" and "lifting up Zach Wilson". 

I mean building thru the trenches doesn’t mean only drafting 1st round OL/dl and having the entire group high picks and high paid guys. It’s a balance. It’s been 5/5 1st/2nd round picks on offense the past 2 years. Sounds like they have been focusing on offense ever since joe got here. Signed Davis and cole. Signed McGovern fant and Moses. Traded for ldt What has been used on defense outside of the trenches?

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I mean building thru the trenches doesn’t mean only drafting 1st round OL/dl and having the entire group high picks and high paid guys. It’s a balance. It’s been 5/5 1st/2nd round picks on offense the past 2 years. Sounds like they have been focusing on offense ever since joe got here. Signed Davis and cole. Signed McGovern fant and Moses. Traded for ldt What has been used on defense outside of the trenches?

We were just told by Jets/NFL reporters that we should not trade for Amari Cooper because his contract is too big @ 20 mil a year.

But we should sign Marcus Williams for 15 mil a year to play safety for us?

Cole & Davis were busts last year. McGovern is a jag. Moses and LDT are free agents. Fant was an absolutely brilliant signing. It's not like "oh we're set now" @ receiver, RG, RT (Becton? Who knows?), DT, DE. 

I don't want JD to say "well we tried signing players at the important positions, but it didn't work out so well. Let's sign a safety to a massive contract and see if that works."

I'm genuinely surprised you want to sign a safety to a deal like that. 

16 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

We were just told by Jets/NFL reporters that we should not trade for Amari Cooper because his contract is too big @ 20 mil a year.

But we should sign Marcus Williams for 15 mil a year to play safety for us?

Cole & Davis were busts last year. McGovern is a jag. Moses and LDT are free agents. Fant was an absolutely brilliant signing. It's not like "oh we're set now" @ receiver, RG, RT (Becton? Who knows?), DT, DE. 

I don't want JD to say "well we tried signing players at the important positions, but it didn't work out so well. Let's sign a safety to a massive contract and see if that works."

I'm genuinely surprised you want to sign a safety to a deal like that. 

Cole had more yards than the guy jets fans are crying about in berrios and he’s a bust? He was alright. 

Davis got hurt, but was on pace for like 900 yards 

The effort has been there you can’t deny that. There has been a lot of draft picks and signings on the offense and OL in general.

I’m not for signing Marcus Williams I just think it’s not accurate if people say they haven’t been building thru the trenches like they’ve been preaching  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

i wonder if he could give it back. they sold him a fake. its not Bradys last TD. its like you just bought the Mona Lisa and the next day they tell you its not really it. we made a mistake. well then you better give me my money back!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

There is very little measured  and intelligent discussion on this board.  It is either all dark or all sunshine.  It is either "the Jets are terrible and have always been terrible" and "the Jets can't draft or develop players" and "Douglas needs to go - Saleh needs to go - Wilson is the worst" or "The Jets will be great this season" and "The Jets will win 12 games with that schedule". Every thread is a battle rather than a discussion.  Discussing the Jets is like discussing politics - it's all one way or all the other.  It's exhausting.  We should have threads that prohibit conclusions that are not backed up.  The Darksiders are far worse than the  Sunshine Boys.   The entire Cooper trade is an example.  75% of the board thinks Cooper is Jerry Rice and the Jets could have had him for a nickel.  No consideration at all as to why the Jets didn't trade for him.  If you ask for any patience with regard to Douglas building the team or time to for Wilson to develop, you are ripped and faced with whining - "It's been 53 years"   " 12 years without playoffs is long enough". as if that matters when trying to field a winning team.  

We haven't been to the playoffs in a decade - at least the 'darksiders' have a point. 

But let's keep our eye on the ball and be specific here - @BurntDice and I were discussing the wisdom of whether we should sign a free agent safety to a 15 mil a year deal? 

Where do you stand?

Would you rather have Marcus Williams @ 15 mil a year for the next three years or Amari Cooper @ 20 mil a year for the next three years?

5 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

There is very little measured  and intelligent discussion on this board.  It is either all dark or all sunshine.  It is either "the Jets are terrible and have always been terrible" and "the Jets can't draft or develop players" and "Douglas needs to go - Saleh needs to go - Wilson is the worst" or "The Jets will be great this season" and "The Jets will win 12 games with that schedule". Every thread is a battle rather than a discussion.  Discussing the Jets is like discussing politics - it's all one way or all the other.  It's exhausting.  We should have threads that prohibit conclusions that are not backed up.  The Darksiders are far worse than the  Sunshine Boys.   The entire Cooper trade is an example.  75% of the board thinks Cooper is Jerry Rice and the Jets could have had him for a nickel.  No consideration at all as to why the Jets didn't trade for him.  If you ask for any patience with regard to Douglas building the team or time to for Wilson to develop, you are ripped and faced with whining - "It's been 53 years"   " 12 years without playoffs is long enough". as if that matters when trying to field a winning team.  

I feel the same way. I definitely lean toward the optimistic side, but I’m also a realist. 

Im just tired of the old methods that have failed for the team over and over again like going out and signing bell, tru, Tebow, etc. having a young homegrown core is exciting to me. Seeing the young guys grow and I know it might be silly but with guys like chrebet who were career long jets it’s just better that way. We haven’t had that in forever with the piss poor drafting and constantly having to be the winners of FA 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Cole had more yards than the guy jets fans are crying about in berrios and he’s a bust? He was alright. 

Davis got hurt, but was on pace for like 900 yards 

The effort has been there you can’t deny that. There has been a lot of draft picks and signings on the offense and OL in general.

I’m not for signing Marcus Williams I just think it’s not accurate if people say they haven’t been building thru the trenches like they’ve been preaching  

Then that's it really, no? Why argue?

We agree that'd be a bad signing. 

I agree they've tried to do trenches/weapons, and the returns haven't been great - although there was some bad luck there.

Let's not throw away the strategy, though, because the good teams in this league are built that way. 

1 minute ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

We haven't been to the playoffs in a decade - at least the 'darksiders' have a point. 

But let's keep our eye on the ball and be specific here - @BurntDice and I were discussing the wisdom of whether we should sign a free agent safety to a 15 mil a year deal? 

Where do you stand?

Would you rather have Marcus Williams @ 15 mil a year for the next three years or Amari Cooper @ 20 mil a year for the next three years?

I think I'd rather spend that money on Edge or OL, but given the choice, I'd spend it on Willliams over Cooper.  I do not think much of Cooper at all. He's very overrated.  He in inconsistent, he doesn't block, he disappears in big spots, and he has underproduced in a great offense.  So many red flags for me.  

• Upvote 1

Here are the guys I’m looking at for the next few days. They feel like great fits and shouldn’t be crazy overpriced 

Russell Gage Wr Falcons 

Mo Allie Cox TE Colts 

Austin Corbett/Laken Tomlinson/Connor Williams G

Devondre Campbell LB Packers 

Chandler Jones Edge Cardinals 

Donte Jackson Cb Panthers 

Jordan Whitehead S Bucs 

2 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I feel the same way. I definitely lean toward the optimistic side, but I’m also a realist. 

Im just tired of the old methods that have failed for the team over and over again like going out and signing bell, tru, Tebow, etc. having a young homegrown core is exciting to me. Seeing the young guys grow and I know it might be silly but with guys like chrebet who were career long jets it’s just better that way. We haven’t had that in forever with the piss poor drafting and constantly having to be the winners of FA 

I agree.  And most of the free agents who go for big money are not worth it.  Year after year.  But everyone gets distracted by the bright shiny object.  

Just now, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I think I'd rather spend that money on Edge or OL, but given the choice, I'd spend it on Willliams over Cooper.  I do not think much of Cooper at all. He's very overrated.  He in inconsistent, he doesn't block, he disappears in big spots, and he has underproduced in a great offense.  So many red flags for me.  

We agree that we'd rather spend that money at more important positions than safety. 

Sure, we might disagree about Cooper - but I simply cannot get excited at being rumored to be in the market for a big money safety. 

I think it would be a huge mistake. 

13 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Then that's it really, no? Why argue?

We agree that'd be a bad signing. 

I agree they've tried to do trenches/weapons, and the returns haven't been great - although there was some bad luck there.

Let's not throw away the strategy, though, because the good teams in this league are built that way. 

Good teams are not build with 1st round or expensive ol tho… look at the super bowl teams compared to the OL of the decade in the cowboys. They have what 1 playoff win maybe? I think they only have like 2 or 3 since around 98. The jets have a better playoff record.  The playoff teams usually have a decent ol great weapons and an above average-great defense .  Usually at least decent on defense and solid offensive weapons. It’s all about BALANCE as I said before. Can’t have a trash secondary and lbs and expect to succeed