Official 2022 Free Agency Thread

14 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

the jets do love their injury prone players

I'm not crazy about this either. As good as he is, he's missed so many games over the past 4 seasons. 

I haven't gotten word from a team source yet, but reading the tea leaves this is why they want Scherff: 

• Joe Douglas loves the player. He's been hoping to get this opportunity for 3 offseasons now. 
  • Scherff is a great fit for the offense and a difference-maker when on the field. 
  • The desire to add more edgy/nasty guys up front is real, and Scherff provides that.
  • They are comfortable with their scheme/depth they are building in the event any of their OL get hurt. 
  • Puts less pressure on the team to draft an OL with #4 or #10, but still can. 

Just now, football guy said:

I'm not crazy about this either. As good as he is, he's missed so many games over the past 4 seasons. 

I haven't gotten word from a team source yet, but reading the tea leaves this is why they want Scherff: 

• Joe Douglas loves the player. He's been hoping to get this opportunity for 3 offseasons now. 
  • Scherff is a great fit for the offense and a difference-maker when on the field. 
  • The desire to add more edgy/nasty guys up front is real, and Scherff provides that.
  • They are comfortable with their scheme/depth they are building in the event any of their OL get hurt. 

All of that makes a ton of sense to me. I’m all for it. 

5 minutes ago, JTJet said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaviCo03.htm

Look under advanced receiving and rushing. 

I see. The numbers seem to vary in different places. His drop percentage is lower on here than what @oatmeal cited. 

Either way, I wouldn't worry about drops. Kupp and Hill had 7 and 8 drops according to the pro-football reference numbers, and in his last year with the Titans, Davis had a lower drop percentage than both of them the past few years. Keenan Allen has 8 here and 11 on NBCSports. It's whatever, especially when his career catch % isn't bad.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

You think they can sign Scherff and still go OL at 4?  Is that a we're trading Becton scenario?  

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I'm curious as to your source. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/receiving_advanced.htm says 4 in 2019 and 3 in 2020. 

Not that I consider drops to be a worthwhile stat on it's own. Too subjective. 

NBCSports, Sports Info Solutions, playerprofile all have different numbers. 

Anyway, I don't think they're an issue. If he had an atrocious career catch percentage, maybe.

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

It's wild to me, considering this team's very recent history, that our two biggest 'targets' in free agency are a high priced safety and an injury prone guard?

Both of these guys seemingly in line to make, what, 12+ mil a season?

Without being sarcastic, I'm genuinely trying to understand the logic here, and I truly don't see it.

Just now, RedBeardedSavage said:

It's wild to me, considering this team's very recent history, that our two biggest 'targets' in free agency are a high priced safety and an injury prone guard?

Both of these guys seemingly in line to make, what, 12+ mil a season?

Without being sarcastic, I'm genuinely trying to understand the logic here, and I truly don't see it.

Great fit for the offense and vet presence and nasty. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I see the logic. I would probably go after James Daniels instead, but I can't say I know more about the offense and fit than they do.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

MVS seems like a super odd target to me.  Very low catch rate, no broken tackles, high depth of target.  He seems like what we thought Mims could add to this team, but they didn't seem to want it.  

I'm seriously hoping that one is bull.  He would be a bizarre addition.  We have much younger, much cheaper options to drop passes for us.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

HA HA HA HA!  Washington is so stupid!  They took Bradnon Scherf, a friggin guard ha ha ha ha ha and Leo Willimas fell into our laps!  BEST player in the draft baby!

I remember this so vividly. I was pissed. Knew we missed out. Scherff was the guy. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

I see. The numbers seem to vary in different places. His drop percentage is lower on here than what @oatmeal cited. 

Either way, I wouldn't worry about drops. Kupp and Hill had 7 and 8 drops according to the pro-football reference numbers, and in his last year with the Titans, Davis had a lower drop percentage than both of them the past few years. Keenan Allen has 8 here and 11 on NBCSports. It's whatever, especially when his career catch % isn't bad.

Those dudes mentioned make plays, are true ones and Davis drops key drive killing passes, you tried it though. ?

imagine comparing Corey Davis to Keenan Allen, Kup and Hill. Proven wrong once again, this is the heights of Jets fandom 

• Upvote 1

Just now, oatmeal said:

Those dudes mentioned make plays, are true ones and Davis drops key drive killing passes, you tried it though. ?

imagine comparing Corey Davis to Keenan Allen, Kup and Hill. Proven wrong once again, this is the heights of Jets fandom 

My point was that even the best players drop passes. And last year was Corey Davis's worst season yet. He will bounce back.

Not everything is a definitive statement about fandom. Leave your NYPost posts elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You think they can sign Scherff and still go OL at 4?  Is that a we're trading Becton scenario?  

I doubt it would happen, but can't rule anything out. More likely they would make Becton, Fant, and rookie compete for LT/RT, and would welcome the depth at tackle. 

What appears more likely today: sign Scherff, then draft versatile T/G/C prospects on day 2-3 that they can groom and develop into future starters. 

• Upvote 4