Official 2022 Free Agency Thread

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

F*ck that silliness 

I’d rather give that money to a proven, double digit sack a year EDGE like Za’Darius Smith over a safety.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I'd do $17m for Marcus Williams. We'll have our pick of the liter at Edge in the draft (aside from Hutch and Thib). I don't want to take a Safety high. I like Zadarius too but his back issue is still a concern not to mention he's probably +$20m

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I'm really hoping we make this move Collins is so damn good. Jets would be in such a good spot too especially if Becton comes back strong

Exactly.

Is having 3 really good OTs a problem that fans don't want?

The Jets got LUCKY last year that JD made a late power move to get Morgan Moses here.  Without him the Jets O would have been an even bigger disaster and Zach's development would have gone worse than it did.

Again, Fant has only one year left on his contract and Becton is an unknown.  There's honestly a 40% chance that the Jets don't know who EITHER of their OTs will be for the 2023 season (not this year, next year).

Collins would be a very, very smart move and an insurance policy on things like Becton's health/commitment and Fant potentially departing after this season.

This whole idea that signing Tomlinson to play RG somehow negates the Jets uncertainty at the OT position is kinda baffling to me.

OT is a borderline need right this moment unless you really like Connor McDermott (who is actually okay in my book, but I don't want him playing anything more than some spot duty).

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I think I'd actually try and trade Fant (as long as Becton is actually healthy) After the year he just had the return compensation would be high and he'd clear like $10 mil in cap.

Man, I wouldn't do that at all.  Fant is the best and most consistent OT on the roster. As I said above, Becton is an unknown and Moses is likely gone.  The Jets have a bigger need at OT than most fans are willing to admit.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

and making dough, ty detmer style

It's funny, when I went to college, another freshman on the team was up from Mission, Texas and Ty's brother Koy was his high school QB.  Back when they had that h.s. sports show on espn and focused on one kid, can't recall the name of it *Scholastic Sports America!, but this kid had been on it.  Anyway, Koy went to Texas A&M and then Played for decades with the Eagles and I doubt he even had to throw the ball more than 20 times in his career behind McNabb.  Those Detmer boys sure knew how to float along and rake it in.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Man, I wouldn't do that at all.  Fant is the best and most consistent OT on the roster. As I said above, Becton is an unknown and Moses is likely gone.  The Jets have a bigger need at OT than most fans are willing to admit.

I would only do it if Becton came back healthy and strong. Someone’s gotta be the odd man out if they bring in Collins, I’d trade the loser of the LT competition. Especially if it’s Fant, mainly because he’s on the last year of his deal 

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We wouldn’t have any choice of safety in the draft?

tbh, we do have a decent stable of young DBs developing, way more so than safety. Still need to go draft a stud i think, but there's promise in the bullpen. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Imagine paying Crowder this type of money in 2019. That's basically what the Jaguars got. Similar stats and playing style. 

Yeah and paying him $7m per was crazy enough that he took a cut to what, 2.5m to stay last year?  The Jags went in-sane.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Why would the Jets be happy with their current crop of CBs?

The Jets don't want their CBs to even matter.  Saleh's approach is to pressure, harass, sack the opposing QB.  He wants the QB to make bad decisions, to have to scramble immediately and throw a wobbly pass while on the run as he's about to get hit such that you or I could intercept it if we've followed our assignments correctly and are in the right zone with our eyes looking back to the LOS.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets don't want their CBs to even matter.  Saleh's approach is to pressure, harass, sack the opposing QB.  He wants the QB to make bad decisions, to have to scramble immediately and throw a wobbly pass while on the run as he's about to get hit such that you or I could intercept it if we've followed our assignments correctly and are in the right zone with our eyes looking back to the LOS.

People have still not gotten this yet. The importance on the CB's in this scheme is almost non existent

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

May be an unpopular take but I don’t love what the Jags are doing. Classic headline grabbing moves without a rhyme or reason

It's classic Florida Marlins All-in One&Done whatever garbage magic they used to sign everybody and win those 2 championships and then immediately firesale them the following years.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

May be an unpopular take but I don’t love what the Jags are doing. Classic headline grabbing moves without a rhyme or reason

ehh, without being familiar with their Oline situation, they got the QB -- gotta get on fleshing out that roster. Feels like it's on the cusp of getting reckless but... we'll see. the alternative is "we never gave the QB a chance with a cast" thing. 

• Upvote 2