Official 2022 Free Agency Thread

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Absolutely.  If we can find that partner, I'd be all over it!

There’s always a partner. Just depends how low he’s willing to go, and/or how much he’s drawing a line at chart value. 

Personally I’d rather get less than chart value if it means we could merely move down in round 1 - still picking twice in the round - and also pick up someone’s 1st next year. Even if it means dropping from 4 into the low teens, give or take. Especially if the top 2 edges are gone, they can still take about the same one at 10 that they’d probably end up reaching for at 4, and then the lower pick is still a sweet spot for one of the better WRs who might’ve been a reach at 10 in the first place.

That’s all my imagination above, but it’s not far-fetched and under this scenario they still end up with an edge and a WR (not necessarily lesser players than they’d have drafted at 4/10 in this draft, allegedly). And they have an extra 1st rounder again in 2023. Then round 2 is set up well for TE and whatever (most likely a DB or LB, but that depends on the board — and what else they still do in FA). 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Trade the pick to someone who needs a LT?

i dont think i ever remember someone trading as high as 4 to take a OL.

and this draft id deep with them. im sure you want a #1 for next year but why do it when they could stay where they are and take Green, Penning ,Zion...Cross.

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Old, oft-injured nowadays, would rather draft Sauce Gardner, roll out Bryce Hall and continue his development, sign Marcus Williams for the back end, throw MC in the slot again.

Old might be a stretch - should still have very good years left

But fair enough 

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Lmao thats my brother (bklyn929/sackexchange)

Dude, sack exchange is a great guy like yourself. He’s super active, does tons of giveaways. I’ve spoken to him a bunch of times, he actually said he used to live in my neighborhood of Brooklyn for a short period of time ( Bergen beach ) that’s awesome. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, KRL said:

I'll say this before day 2 kicks off, I don't want Gilmore.  After our
experiences with over 30 CBs (Revis & Johnson) I don't want to go through
that again

30 yr old man to man CB's struggle,  30 yr old primarily zone CB's can still be productive. It's the reason a guy like Sherman can still make the Pro Bowl at age 31.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, KRL said:

I'll say this before day 2 kicks off, I don't want Gilmore.  After our
experiences with over 30 CBs (Revis & Johnson) I don't want to go through
that again

I think it depends on the contract, but sounds like Gilmore is going after top dollar. If it’s a 1 or 2 year deal at reasonable money, he easily becomes our best corner assuming he’s healthy. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, choon328 said:

30 yr old man to man CB's struggle,  30 yr old primarily zone CB's can still be productive. It's the reason a guy like Sherman can still make the Pro Bowl at age 31.

Disagree he makes our team instantly better. 

I would expect a 2 year deal at reasonable  money this late in the process 

I’m really hoping we get Williams today. I want nothing to do with Gilmore and I honestly cannot see JD giving a 32 year old corner a lucrative contract. 

The draft should be interesting too. If any of the pass rushers are available at 4, you absolutely pull the trigger. If not, I would totally trade back, even if it’s a couple spots to take Sauce. I don’t think he makes it to 10. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Disagree he makes our team instantly better. 

I would expect a 2 year deal at reasonable  money this late in the process 

I didn't say he wouldn't. My actual point was that in this system he won't be asked to man up against the top WR each play and would play mostly in a zone so I don't think he'd struggle like Revis did post 30 yrs old. 

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

I’m really hoping we get Williams today. I want nothing to do with Gilmore and I honestly cannot see JD giving a 32 year old corner a lucrative contract. 

The draft should be interesting too. If any of the pass rushers are available at 4, you absolutely pull the trigger. If not, I would totally trade back, even if it’s a couple spots to take Sauce. I don’t think he makes it to 10. 

With all the safeties still out there Douglas maybe able to keep the price down by playing them

against each other

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I'll preface what I'm about to say by saying it's still early in the offseason. 

The one thing I'm concerned about so far is that the Jets have not done one thing at WR to improve upon the group. If they run it back with the same WR group and a rookie I think they're doing a disservice to Zach's development. 

Davis is basically in the final year of his deal bc he has less than $1 million guaranteed next year. His presence this year should not prohibit them from going after Allen Robinson or being aggressive in the trade market. Counting on guys to get healthy from one year to the next as a strategy for improving your roster is a terrible idea.  The Jets need to do something big to give Zach a top tier target. 

• Upvote 2

Has anyone seen any news about the Jets tendering RFAs or ERFAs?

Mike Effin' White and Kyle Phillips - two guys I'd like to keep - are scheduled to be RFAs but need to be tendered.  We have a few ERFAs, such as Guidry, who are also due to receive tenders.