Official 2022 Free Agency Thread

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

No worries my friend.  You can bank on this:

4- Ickey

10- Garrett Wilson

35- Trey McBride

38- Breece Hall

Really?

Where/How do we get an edge? Who is there in FA?

Where/How do we help the defense?

Isn't the oline workable without spending a top pick at OT again? Really discouraging if we use #4 on o line.

I like McBride, a lot. Breece Hall is a stud, but the team might wait until later to grab a rb. 

Wilson could become what Cooper has been, the best (or top 2-3) route runner in the league.

• Upvote 1

Something that stands out to me every time I watch one of the front office people or a member of the coaching staff do an interview is that they always mention how the Bengals were built last off season after Burrows Rookie year.  On offense the only notable FA Signing was a starting RT in Reiff. They really built the defense up last off season in FA with the biggest Signing being Hendrickson. They brought in 2 starting caliber CB's in Hilton and Awuzie and the rest of the additions on defense were just role players.  They only gave out multi year contracts to 4 players out of the 15 they signed.

Then in the draft they spent a premium pick to draft the best WR in the draft in Chase.  Jamarr Chase, solidifying the offensive line, and improving the defense is what sent Burrow on his current path.  They didn't go out and spend big money on weapons to surround Burrow, they stayed with their plan and it worked. Will it work for the Jets? I don't know. But I do think it gives us a glimpse into what they may be thinking heading into FA and the draft. 

I think the focus will be solidifying the offensive line,  specifically RG, build up the depth and quality of the defense in the front 7. Sign a premium playmaking safety as the big "splash" on defense. Saleh always talks about having a premium player on all 3 levels of the defense and they currently don't have one in the secondary.

I think the coaching staff likes the young CB's and linebackers they drafted last year and I don't think they'll make any moves that will hinder their development. 

That's my 2 cents anyway.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

Something that stands out to me every time I watch one of the front office people or a member of the coaching staff do an interview is that they always mention how the Bengals were built last off season after Burrows Rookie year.  On offense the only notable FA Signing was a starting RT in Reiff. They really built the defense up last off season in FA with the biggest Signing being Hendrickson. They brought in 2 starting caliber CB's in Hilton and Awuzie and the rest of the additions on defense were just role players.  They only gave out multi year contracts to 4 players out of the 15 they signed.

Then in the draft they spent a premium pick to draft the best WR in the draft in Chase.  Jamarr Chase, solidifying the offensive line, and improving the defense is what sent Burrow on his current path.  They didn't go out and spend big money on weapons to surround Burrow, they stayed with their plan and it worked. Will it work for the Jets? I don't know. But I do think it gives us a glimpse into what they may be thinking heading into FA and the draft. 

I think the focus will be solidifying the offensive line,  specifically RG, build up the depth and quality of the defense in the front 7. Sign a premium playmaking safety as the big "splash" on defense. Saleh always talks about having a premium player on all 3 levels of the defense and they currently don't have one in the secondary.

I think the coaching staff likes the young CB's and linebackers they drafted last year and I don't think they'll make any moves that will hinder their development. 

Can we see the bengals put together 2 good seasons in a row before we crown them the smartest franchise in the league?

The bengals got hot at the end of the year.  Very similiar to the Giants team years ago.

I have the bengals finishing 3rd in their own division next year behind the steelers and ravens snd not even making the playoffs.

Im not following anything the bengals did.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

Can't deny this is sane and rational take.

Counterpoint?

The Bengals also already had Mixon, Higgins, Boyd & Uzomah.

And there is no Chase in this draft.

3 hours ago, heymangold said:

2 posts above you it has Christian Kirk commanding 15M.  Adams is the best WR in the game.  D-Hop currently sits at 27.5M.  30M for Adams isn't far off.

https://lombardiave.com/2022/03/08/packers-davante-adams-franchise-tag-salary-cap/

this article has them currently 44.5M OVER.  their gonna have to gut the roster.

aww i was looking at the 2021 salaries. guess D-Hop takes a huge jump in 22. 

maybe they dont resign him and tag him for 2 years. but there not letting him go now. 

or they could back load the deal. or restructure Rodgers to where he gets most of it in year 3. IDK how but i believe one way or another that Adams will be a Packer for the next 2-3 years.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You wouldn't be dumb enough to compare the trading for and 20 million dollar contract of Amari Cooper to the signing of Connor Mcdermott to a cheap 1 year deal for depth on the OL? 

No, I’m referring to everyone talking about us as the odds favorite to sign Brandon Scherff only a page or two earlier than that post.

Just now, Zachtomims47 said:

Don’t worry. He’ll sign elsewhere. But we’ll hear he was one of the Jets top targets!
Copy and paste that to a few other key guys too. 

Due diligence baybeeeee.

Due.

Dilligence.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

And the fact that Davis didnt cost us any draft picks and can be cut after this year.  Davis was never signed to be a long term answer at the position.  He was signed to be a professional receiver for 2 years while guys like Elijah Moore and Garrett Wilson get their feet wet.

12 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

This is what I keep looking for, Jets can create another 11-12 million in cap space releasing these three. No brainer in my eyes. 

Which is why tweets about how the Jets lacked salary cap flexibility to sign Cooper made no sense to me. Douglas decided not to pursue Cooper for reasons other than his salary being $20 million a year. That's fine, but he better have a good plan to support the growth of the quarterback to which he has hitched his wagon and will either keep him employed or will cost him his job if Wilson fails.