Official 2022 Free Agency Thread

Jetlife33

1 minute ago, Jetlife33 said:

Would love one of Howard/Hurst or Williams. I did see williams make a comment about playing with Ertz so I would guess he is staying in Arizona. 

I feel like Everett will be too expensive. 

Rudolph is washed

Tonyan was OK with Rodgers, but every TE is OK with Rodgers. 

Either way, it would be nice to finally have a solid TE room. 

1 minute ago, David Harris said:

I think resigning Tevin Coleman means we have our 1-2 punch probably with a 4th-5th round power back coming in the draft for short yardage.  Mckissic is better than Coleman but man Coleman came cheap.

Coleman is not good.  JMO.  But you could certainly be right.  

I haven't heard any reports of Jets interest in Mckissic, so it probably isn't any.

But I'd do him over Coleman without a second hesitation.  IMO Carter+Coleman isn't good enough.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah he said that well after his wife let the truth slip out first. Hess didn’t die for another 3 years and no one was discussing ownership back then. 

What terrified him was having his son go to the Saints. Like he didn’t want Eli to go to the Chargers.

To somewhat defend Parcells on this decision, his missive from Hess was to win a SB for a dying man, not build the a team for the future. There were conflicting missives.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

@Sperm Edwards

I'm sure I'm missing something here but the Saints didn't pick top 2 in the 1997 draft (the year Peyton stayed in school after his Jr season).  Did the Saints trade down maybe?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1997/draft.htm

image.png.507cd2739124c1237aa93fa835221aac.png

Traded with the Raiders for Darryl Hobbs, WR and 3 draft picks

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah he said that well after his wife let the truth slip out first. Hess didn’t die for another 3 years and no one was discussing ownership back then. 

What terrified him was having his son go to the Saints. Like he didn’t want Eli to go to the Chargers.

Explain how Archie wouldn’t let Eli play for the Chargers, but he was going to let his golden child play for the godforsaken Jets coming off a 1-15.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

@Sperm Edwards

I'm sure I'm missing something here but the Saints didn't pick top 2 in the 1997 draft (the year Peyton stayed in school after his Jr season).  Did the Saints trade down maybe?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1997/draft.htm

image.png.507cd2739124c1237aa93fa835221aac.png

No. 2: New Orleans → Oakland (PD). New Orleans traded its first- and sixth-round selections (2nd and 166th) to Oakland in exchange for Oakland's first-, second- and fourth-round selections (10th, 39th and 107th) and WR Daryl Hobbs.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Another very interesting point.  And more bad luck for our franchise.

I was surprised about Archie not wanting Eli to go to the Chargers though.  Were they that bad of a franchise?  They had success in the 80's and made a SB in the 90's.  

Think they had then-famously cheapskate + meddling ownership after Dean Spanos inherited a super bowl team from his father. After 2 more 8-9 win seasons, the fired the HC and became a 4-win team. They remained a joke through 2003 when they earned the #1 overall pick in 2004, when Eli entered the draft. In that span they’d drafted 2 QBs who hadn’t exactly panned out: Leaf and Brees. 

Archie didn’t want that for his son, as it looked like that futility could/would continue. You can hardly blame him as a father, but it wasn’t looked upon favorably at the time. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Explain how Archie wouldn’t let Eli play for the Chargers, but he was going to let his golden child play for the godforsaken Jets coming off a 1-15.

Archie was friends with Parcells, who just came from turning around the Patriots from 1-win team into playing in the super bowl.

He even called Parcells, trying to get him to commit to taking Peyton “if” he declared for the draft, and claimed firsthand that Parcells wouldn’t say so. Otherwise who waits until March to announce he’s returning to school?

Anyway I feel badly enough that I helped derail this thread somewhat. We can discuss this in another thread if you really like. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

How much better is Williams than Maye?

Williams PFF score was 80. Maye was 55. I think it's a little closer than that. But Williams is definitely better. 
But the biggest difference is that Williams is 25. Maye is 29 (and that's ignoring the Achilles injury). 

• Upvote 1

Marcus Williams would be cool, but I’d be fine with a cheaper veteran option. With Pinnock playing well late last year it’d be nice to have a security blanket but leave the door open for him, unless they’ve completely given up on Davis - or just want those two to compete I guess. Just figure that’s why they brought Joyner back.

I’d like a Kyzir White signing out of the blue today.