Official 2022 Free Agency Thread

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d be shocked if they took Thibodeaux. Profiles as the definition of a high maintenance player.

It would surprise me too and the "all the potential in the world" guys never ever seem to work out here. 

That said if he goes to the Giants at 5 and makes a bunch of pro bowls and is on every single freaking dunkin donuts ad in the tristate for a decade.. I reserve the right to complain long and bitterly. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, derp said:

Where’d you see that?

One of the female beat writers starts with a E can’t remember the full name. Was talking about it in the jets twitter spaces yesterday.  She interviewed him at the combine. I think it was the damian woody’s space or tony richardson space chat. So u might be able to still listen to it. By going to there twitter profile

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d be shocked if they took Thibodeaux. Profiles as the definition of a high maintenance player.

I’d wager at this point in time, Joes dream plan is to listen to offers and come out with 2 of the 3 high profile defenders; Pass Rusher, The corner and if a trade back happens, N Dean the LB. 

No O in round 1

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

Also Connor Hughes, who despite having the brain of a golden retriever is usually fairly well sourced, said on his podcast that the Jets seem to be lined up to take Icky or Thibs at 4. Icky's appeal is he's Douglas' dream player and Hughes says that the Jets feel the Thib issues aren't any sort of big deal.  FWIW

Ekwonu at 4 would be a major mistake with Tomlinson in the fold. Would mean that you need to sit one of him, Becton, or Fant and that's a bad use of premium resources - and I say that as someone who thought he was the best possible pick at 4 until, well, yesterday

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The controversy seems to be that he cares more about his own personal brand than the sport, but I’d think a guy who cares about his brand that much might be pretty excited to base his operations in NY. That said, Jets could also be feigning some interest in the hopes that he goes top three, too. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

I’d wager at this point in time, Joes dream plan is to listen to offers and come out with 2 of the 3 high profile defenders; Pass Rusher, The corner and if a trade back happens, N Dean the LB. 

No O in round 1

Also i wouldn’t rule out a dt b/c the run d was horrible last year.  Thibs and a stout dt after a tradeback in round 1 would fortify the DL and give them an extra pick on day 2 to address wr/TE/OL.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Doggin94it said:

Ekwonu at 4 would be a major mistake with Tomlinson in the fold. Would mean that you need to sit one of him, Becton, or Fant and that's a bad use of premium resources - and I say that as someone who thought he was the best possible pick at 4 until, well, yesterday

Agree, unless you're 100% out on Becton it doesn't make much sense. 

11 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

Agree, unless you're 100% out on Becton it doesn't make much sense. 

Fant still aint re signed and from rumblings going around he is looking for a monster deal essentially his first and probably his only big pay day in this league giving his age. To the point he would rather play out the year than take less with extension this year. 

im with you though i think it edge at 4 in the end.

16 minutes ago, slats said:

The controversy seems to be that he cares more about his own personal brand than the sport, but I’d think a guy who cares about his brand that much might be pretty excited to base his operations in NY. That said, Jets could also be feigning some interest in the hopes that he goes top three, too. 

I've seen reports that say the negatives on Thibodeaux's work ethic and attitude are somewhat overblown. I'm not sure what to think about this, but I'll place my trust in the Jets staff to vet this player. If Joe is comfortable enough to select him, then I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, slats said:

Counter Argument:  Robert Griffin III was a guy who REALLY cared about his personal "brand".

Turns out, guys who care only about their personal brand and bad leaders, have no promise to produce and are usually total dickwads to boot.

Not saying not to pick Thibs.  Just saying I'm often wary of guys who even HAVE a "personal brand", much less only care about that brand (over his team and teammates).  I don't know if that is Thibs, but if it is, it's a red flag to me.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

Better than McGovern but a little older. However cutting McGovern and structuring a deal with Tretter that has a higher APY but more savings this year is possible. 

I'd say McGovern offers Guard flexibility but that seems a little overkill to keep him around as your 3rd guard. Would be flush at IOL though.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Counter Argument:  Robert Griffin III was a guy who REALLY cared about his personal "brand".

Turns out, guys who care only about their personal brand and bad leaders, have no promise to produce and are usually total dickwads to boot.

KT is extremely smart and knows his worth . He understands the business side of the game. Your biggest issues are gonna come when its time to resign him. He has a Revis mentality . There is no work ethic issues or attitude. Dude was playing through injury this year when had nothing to prove. 

Williams and Gage would be my targets today. I think Joe should consider a 5year/fake 6 year type of deal with Williams to give the perception he got what he asked for but using a bigger signing bonus to manage cap and lesser salaries first few years to allow the contract to grow

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'd say McGovern offers Guard flexibility but that seems a little overkill to keep him around as your 3rd guard. Would be flush at IOL though.

$9 million for a flex IOL backup is steep. Cut him save some cash in the short term and put that money into Russell Gage.

4 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

KT is extremely smart and knows his worth . He understands the business side of the game. Your biggest issues are gonna come when its time to resign him. He has a Revis mentality . There is no work ethic issues or attitude. Dude was playing through injury this year when had nothing to prove. 

Nah there's a concerning pattern.  Oregon people said he didn't practice or play his hair on fire, took plays off, he told teams he was going to do drills at the combine and then simply changed his mind.  I'm not saying I don't want him but those things are very concerning.

• Upvote 1

Just now, kdels62 said:

$9 million for a flex IOL backup is steep. Cut him save some cash in the short term and put that money into Russell Gage.

Well we need to get a better C before we do anything with McGovern

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

We will see if the Browns are as dumb as the Jets were with Sanchez.

Tanny and Rex signed Sanchez to that phat extension after they failed in pursuit of Manning.  Maybe the Browns will sooth fakers feelings by giving him a fat contract as well.....or are they that dumb?

• Upvote 1