Official 2022 Free Agency Thread

Jetlife33

46 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The safety situation is being blown out of proportion. In fact, Joe’s resistance on this one might be his finest moment yet.

We DO have safeties on the roster and it’s one of the deeper positions in the draft. Safety is not a position to get caught up bidding on 

Bizarre sense of need from some Jets Fans

Strictly speaking for Me: It is more that the Jets declared an interest in investing big money at Safety than them not signing a specific safety.

What matters next to me is the pivot. Do they take that cash they intended to use on Williams and move it to WR or Edge or CB? Do they overspend since they have money burning a hole in their pockets? 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If it’s true that Saleh wants and needs an elite playmaking safety to make his defense “work,” then you’d have to think Hamilton will be in play at 4 at this point.  Gotta give the coach what he “needs.” Beats spending $70 mil on Marcus Williams. 

Do you think Maye would have gotten a better deal last year if that was Saleh's calling card? Seemed they asked him to take a discount.

I guess you have to balance it out when it comes to what you want from this position. 

5 yrs at $70mil for a player turning 26 vs. #4 Pick in the draft when you just went 4-13

Or... the heck with both, lets go get a safety in round 2 or sign the honey badger at 3 yrs $45mil. Its been a crazy ride these past 2 days. Hoping for the best whatever outcomes happen. 

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

Not to defend the Jets here but they weren't outbid. Jets offered a little more guaranteed on a shorter-term deal. You can't blame Williams for choosing Baltimore. Joe Douglas is very stubborn and I personally think you have to be more willing to abandon your process in specific cases, so if I were running things I would've gone up to $16 million APY, but to say that we got "outbid" is just a fanboy being a fanboy 

similar to what I heard.  I heard it was more about the years than anything.  JD was unwilling to go to 5.  Not sure if he offered 4 or 3 though. 

Hoping for Mathieu on a 2 year deal with a 3rd year option. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, derp said:

Franklin-Myers was a waiver pickup.

I didn’t like either Williams pick when it was made. Both were just okay athletes at defensive tackle - not edge. They also both had very good pass rush production in college for their position. They were drafted highly because people thought they’d be good interior pass rushers. But they weren’t athletic enough to really have upside there.

Athleticism is king at the edge position and teams develop it all the time. That Walker is already good at football just makes it more likely he can piece things together at the professional level.

Regardless, you and I are not going to agree on this. 

this what people thought when it came to Ed oliver his athleticism would turn him into pass rusher.   3 yrs in he is still terrible at it

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jets4Life1979 said:

This GM will never go the extra mile for his team......and we all wonder why we are mired in the bottom of the league swamp every year

If the "extra mile" is paying 20% more than other teams, I don't want my GM to go the extra mile. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Forget the sack numbers. He isnt a good pass rusher bad technique, no pass rush plan your strictly projecting he could become one eventually thats too risky imo.  Also Jet dont need another De to slide to DT. They have 3 DT’s that are pass rushers first. KT and JJ are way more advanced as pass rusher’s than walker is. 

I strongly believe Thibodeaux isn’t going to be on the Jets’ radar, he’s also not a polished pass rusher either, and Johnson is more developed because he’s like three years older than Walker. Walker has good hand usage and got moved around a ton.

Athletes developing into better pass rushers in the pros is remarkably common. And the strong-long armed profile is good too. As is DT->DE because the hand usage translates nicely.

Walker and Franklin-Myers inside on passing downs is better pass rush wise than Franklin-Myers and Williams or Rankins. The other benefit is kicking JFM inside where he’ll make more impact.

It took Johnson getting away from the program Walker didn’t produce at and being 23 to produce in college. He’s a very risky prospect.

• Upvote 2

Just now, GangGreen Machine said:

Do you think Maye would have gotten a better deal last year if that was Saleh's calling card? Seemed they asked him to take a discount.

I guess you have to balance it out when it comes to what you want from this position. 

5 yrs at $70mil for a player turning 26 vs. #4 Pick in the draft when you just went 4-13

Or... the heck with both, lets go get a safety in round 2 or sign the honey badger at 3 yrs $45mil. Its been a crazy ride these past 2 days. Hoping for the best whatever outcomes happen. 

Absolutely not, because the premise of the argument was Saleh wants an "elite, playmaking" safety. Maye is woefully short on both aspects. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jets4Life1979 said:

Can't wait to see the reaction on here when the report comes out of "Chandler Jones signing with whoever, but the jets were in the mix."

Damn, you need to get out more, 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

this what people thought when it came to Ed oliver his athleticism would turn him into pass rusher.   3 yrs in he is still terrible at it

Edge is different than DT IMO. Hard to be good on athleticism alone inside.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Jets4Life1979 said:

This GM will never go the extra mile for his team......and we all wonder why we are mired in the bottom of the league swamp every year

It's not totally feeling that way anymore. JD-Saleh look like they're heading in the right direction, albeit slowly and methodically (not as fast as we want). The pickups yesterday were awesome. Looks like Williams wanted to go to Baltimore and Jets would have had to pay a higher premium for him. Win some, lose some. But Jets are being decisive and making moves. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

Not to defend the Jets here but they weren't outbid.

Did the player sign with NY?

If not, we were outbid.

Just because the aspects that won over the player were non-financial does not mean we were not outbid.

Length of deal, layout of deal, our team, our coaches, our outlook for the future, all are aspects of our "bid".

So yes, we were outbid.

• Upvote 3

The defense is still terrible but on the plus side the offense is a wide receiver away from being complete (as far as the starting roster goes).

QB: Zack

RB: Carter

WR: Davis

WR: Moore

TE: Uzomah

Becton/AVT/Mcgovern/Tomlinson/Fant

That's pretty darn respectable.  Need that wideout and FB and our backups stink but the offense has come a long way on paper at least.  Haven't felt good about the offense since 2010.  Genuinely excited to see these guys and am very happy that we are supporting the young QB.

Strong defensive draft this year.  Should get 4 new starters.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

I like Maye, but Maye cannot run anymore. Saleh thinks his secondary needs a magical safety who is omniscient and can be everywhere at once, because he is a dimwit. 

• Haha 2