Official 2022 Free Agency Thread

3 minutes ago, MykePM said:

Chandler Jones had 5 sacks in the first game of the season last year, and 5.5 for the rest of the season.  You willing to risk big money that he's going to improve on those last 16 games, at his age?

Yes

5 sacks in a single game proves that he’s still capable of completely taking over games and making a huge impact.

Some on this board were completely in favor of going up to $17 million a year and beyond for a FS like Marcus Williams.

I’d gladly give Chandler Jones 3 years, $60 million with $35+ million guaranteed.

He’s still worth it

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We signed "CJ" yesterday and a "DJ" today.  Are there any more "initials guys" we can sign tomorrow?

AJ Moore, AJ Bouye, PJ Williams, JC Tretter (Center), and AJ Green.

all I can think of off top of my head

13 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Love the Reed signing. Statistically he is a Top 10 man corner in the NFL but gets diminished value because of his height. He is strong in both pass AND run, so that says his height not the biggest issue. And lets not forget someone named Aaron Glenn was 5"9" as well. 

I actually don't think our corners were as bad as people think. We REALLY REALLY need a LB that can cover the flat and TEs. I think it is a bigger need than edge

Love that we are not really getting older with these signings as well.

Getting concerned about WR. Really wanted Gage but guess never on Jets radar. 

dude went from nickel to number 1 cb in Sea. Now you can argue how hard to do that actually is, but my guy is a number 1 cb in the league. or at least very good cb 2. love the pick up.

51 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The amount of glaring holes on this roster heading into the draft keeps diminishing.  That’s good.  There are still quite a few question marks though, which is not good.

Absolutely. And there will be more to fill after this year. Work to do next year. What's nice is to see definite moves happening. We're building up to 2023 and 20204. It's nice to see a build up and not just "be patient we have a plan in place" rhetoric.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I'm getting greedy. Can we trade a day 3 pick for Shenault (still on rookie deal so he doesn't count much against the cap), sign Jordan Whitehead and sign Chandler Jones?

Is it me or does Shenault seem like a better player than all the JAG WRs the Jags signed?

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Meh - Jones and Matthieu could both be good signings on two year type deals.

Neither would stop us from drafting their replacement aggressively, but would also bring in much needed talent at their positions.

The SOJ move would be 4 year type deals for these guys.  Short term is just fine.

First off - what are the odds that either will sign a 2-year deal with the 4-win New York Jets?  If they do, it will be because the Jets gave them big, guaranteed money to do so.  

The big risk with signing an older player to a big contract isn't just the loss of money.  It's the loss of quality time that the player uses up on the field while people are finally figuring out that his performance isn't up to snuff anymore.  Chandler Jones has 5.5 sacks in his last 16 games.  Honey Badger has a lot of wear and tear.  I don't want their decline to happen on the Jets' dime.  Maybe roll the dice on one of them.  Definitely not both, plus others.

The Jets are not like the Rams were last year - ready to go all-in to make a championship run.  In my mind, the best-case scenario is a playoff run this year and a championship run next season.  I'm not confident that the 2023-2024 versions of either of those players will be a plus to the cause and not a minus.

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Is it me or does Shenault seem like a better player than all the JAG WRs the Jags signed?

Doesn't fit the scheme.  Jay Gruden had built a lot of his offense around Shenault.  Direct quote from Gruden :"He’s getting all those reps, the reverses and all that stuff. Some other guys we can get out in space and do somethings, but Laviska’s a different cat and calls for a different type of play. Once he went out, it shortened up our playbook, but we had plenty of other stuff to get to. We were fine.”

1 minute ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Any idea on our cap?

Awfully tough to tell until details of the signings emerge. 

Berrios, I think is a $4M cap hit this year.  Not sure about the other signings.  But since only top 51 salaries count against the cap, for each guy you sign, someone else drops out of the calculation.  I would think we still have plenty of space for additional signings.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Yes

5 sacks in a single game proves that he’s still capable of completely taking over games and making a huge impact.

Some on this board were completely in favor of going up to $17 million a year and beyond for a FS like Marcus Williams.

I’d gladly give Chandler Jones 3 years, $60 million with $35+ million guaranteed.

He’s still worth it

Why would you pay for a premium for a declining Edge rusher who will only get worse in the next 3 years, when this draft class is widely considered the best for edges in the recent years? 

• Upvote 1

JORDAN WHITEHEAD

PFF Free Agency Rank: 70
2021 Snaps: 921
2021 PFF grade: 70.7 (28th of 94)

Whitehead played in Tampa Bay’s Super Bowl victory last year with a torn labrum in his shoulder, demonstrating how tough a player he is, which is exactly what teams need at the strong safety position. At 5-foot-11 and 200 pounds, his build and play style are somewhat reminiscent of Cincinnati Bengals strong safety Vonn Bell, who signed a three-year, $18 million contract with the Bengals prior to the 2020 season that could serve as something of a blueprint for a deal here.

• Upvote 1