Official 2022 Free Agency Thread

Jetlife33

51 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Wow, great deal. Kind of surprised we didn’t offer that to him.  

I think it has more to do with likelihood of getting the starting job in Baltimore is better than here. 

Players I still want. 

1) Zadarius Smith

2) Jayron Kearse! 

3) JC Tretter

This would involve us cutting McGovern but that’ll save us 9 million that we can use toward Tretter who we can prob get for 9 million annual anyway

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Down to Fant on the last year of his contract and Becton with the 7 games he averages playing each year.

JD has an OT issue, both for 2023 and honestly, right now. not sure why people are hesitant to see that and don’t think that OT could be an option in round 1.

(apologies in advance to the Conor McDermott fanbois)

right now Fant, AVT, Mcg, and Laken is one hell of a line with or without Becton. we should worry about 2023 when it gets here.

Fant had a great year last year. was it a fluke? well we need to see him this year to know for sure. so he has to stay.

and Becton only missed 2 games his rookie year and this....

when he is out there he is good. we need to see a 3rd year from him to see if he can stay on the field. OL is by far now our best position and should be off the board till rd 3 or 4

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, section314 said:

Still think that Collins is going to end up here. Seems like Dallas will release him. Would be massive upgrade at RT.

That sounds good but what would you do with Fant? Release/trade him? Cause Collins isn't going to route himself here playing for pennies. 

1 minute ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

That sounds good but what would you do with Fant? Release/trade him? Cause Collins isn't going to route himself here playing for pennies. 

I hope they bring in Collins he's so good on the right side. I think you let Becton and Fant duke it out at LT if Fant wins you can extend him if he loses trade him. I like Fant a lot but he's a much better left tackle than right, and Collins is a dominant right tackle. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Be_a_Jet said:

Players I still want. 

1) Zadarius Smith

2) Jayron Kearse! 

3) JC Tretter

This would involve us cutting McGovern but that’ll save us 9 million that we can use toward Tretter who we can prob get for 9 million annual anyway

I kind of like the thought of McGovern coming back. Keep as much the same as possible for Zach. We don't need him getting used to a new....

damn can't say that anymore. I am talking about the snap, smooth transition. Let's not change.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Would we get comp picks for Foley and Maye since we didn’t sign those positions in FA? Or is it just that we signed any other guys?

I believe it’s qualifying FA’s in total, so right now I think the Jets have signed four and lost three and wouldn’t get any picks. Think the other guys who could qualify depending on what they get elsewhere and when they sign would be Crowder, Cole, and Davis. Seems unlikely this year unless Douglas just stops signing guys.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, derp said:

His contract last year was $3M, they must have liked what they saw from him in camp.

I was about to say, did we just give him a raise over last season?

I’ve largely loved what Douglas has done over the last 2 days…but how the hell does this make a shred of sense?

14 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I’ve largely loved what Douglas has done over the last 2 days…but how the hell does this make a shred of sense?

I guess we will see if it even does this season

12 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

It doesn't unless his salary has NLTBE (not likely to be earned) incentives in it. 

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Then do some diligent scouting and find one in the 3rd who can sit this year and become a possible starter in 23...

Imagine that was the idea last year and JD didn’t sign Moses.

If you only have 2 starting caliber OTs then you have a big issue.

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Those top 4 picks need to be playmakers. 

Can’t make plays if the QB is on his back or injured.

2 hours ago, doitny said:

right now Fant, AVT, Mcg, and Laken is one hell of a line with or without Becton. we should worry about 2023 when it gets here.

Fant had a great year last year. was it a fluke? well we need to see him this year to know for sure. so he has to stay.

and Becton only missed 2 games his rookie year and this....

when he is out there he is good. we need to see a 3rd year from him to see if he can stay on the field. OL is by far now our best position and should be off the board till rd 3 or 4

I like Becton.  Want him to be great.  Just can’t count on him.  He’s played 14 of the Jets 33 games the past two years.

Without Morgan Moses we would have been up sh!t’s creek!

Moses wasn’t a luxury.  He was a necessity.  Imagine the Jets actually NEEDED Becton back during last season if Fant wasn’t cutting it or Moses didn’t work out.  We’d be sitting there waiting 4 months for a guy to come back from an 8 week injury as the rookie QB gets killed.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, J_Smith said:

If I’m not mistaken, our 4 new additions have all recently played in a super bowl. Will be nice to add players with that experience on both sides of the ball

Even better, they were all on teams that won 5 or less games in a season and then made it to the Super Bowl not long after.  So they can testify to the fact that it can be done, fairly quickly, and how.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

QB Baker Mayfield posts message thanking Cleveland fans on same day Browns brass meets with Deshaun Watson.

@Green Ghost

Looks like your backup team the Browns are looking to upgrade their quarterback position.

I hated John Dorsey for taking Mayfield over Darnold. I thought for sure Baker would be our QB.

If I could make it happen, if Watson went to the Browns, we would trade for Baker.

A Mayfield- Wilson QB competition in camp this summer would be sweet. It would start “feeling dangerous” around here.

That’s fantasy though… I think Baker ends up on the Colts this season. After this latest Haslem/Berry fiasco I don’t see how he takes another snap in Cleveland.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, derp said:

His contract last year was $3M, they must have liked what they saw from him in camp.

I'm guessing the $4.5M figure is from his agent, and is the max value including incentives.

Base value likely to be lower, I think.

54 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I like Becton.  Want him to be great.  Just can’t count on him.  He’s played 14 of the Jets 33 games the past two years.

Without Morgan Moses we would have been up sh!t’s creek!

Moses wasn’t a luxury.  He was a necessity.  Imagine the Jets actually NEEDED Becton back during last season if Fant wasn’t cutting it or Moses didn’t work out.  We’d be sitting there waiting 4 months for a guy to come back from an 8 week injury as the rookie QB gets killed.

you cant keep drafting OL every year in the first rd until you get the perfect line cause you never will get it perfect. 

what if you draft this guy and Fant leaves next year or has a bad year and we dont want him back? thats another hole. do we draft a LT in rd 1 for the 4th year in a row? and Mcg contract is up too. do we use #10 to get a center cause we cant trust Mcg to have a good year ? 

how will Zach ever be able to stand on 2 feet without a 1st rd pick at every position on the line? 

i like Zach but if he needs a better OL then we have right now then he has to go. the Bengals would have a SB ring today if they had this line even without Becton.