Official 2022 Free Agency Thread

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So just to toss a little fuel on the fire...

Pineiro is 3 for 3 from 50+.  I'm not sure where the narrative that he has a weak leg started but this suggests otherwise.

Weirdly, he is 6 for 10 from 40-49 and nearly perfect inside the 40 so I'm not sure what to make of that.  But FWIW, all four of those misses were in 2020 in CHI.

I think from his kickoffs....but he is 31-36 in all kicks....only 1 miss ever under 40. 

Only 21 games but solid on paper for sure

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, extmenace said:

How do the post June 1 cuts work? Can a contract be agreed to in principle but they can’t sign it until June 1st? I was thinking the jets would be done with the bigger signings but getting hooper paired up with Uzomah would turn the position into a strength and also allow this team to put resources into other, higher valued positions.

I don't think the post June 1 designation woudl impact the team signing him.  Every team can designate up to two playesrs as "post June 1" cuts to spread their remaining cap hit over two seasons.  He is available to be signed now, just spreads the dead cap charge to the Browns across two seasons.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So just to toss a little fuel on the fire...

Pineiro is 3 for 3 from 50+.  I'm not sure where the narrative that he has a weak leg started but this suggests otherwise.

Weirdly, he is 6 for 10 from 40-49 and nearly perfect inside the 40 so I'm not sure what to make of that.  But FWIW, all four of those misses were in 2020 in CHI.

He's learned to compensate for his, comparatively, weaker leg.  If you watch his longer kicks, they are often line drives with little elevation.

He can make kicks from 50+, but he doesn't have the booming leg.

Still, a very solid kicker who did a very good job for us in 2021 - glad he's back.

11 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I think from his kickoffs....but he is 31-36 in all kicks....only 1 miss ever under 40. 

Only 21 games but solid on paper for sure

Just now, mrcoops said:

He's learned to compensate for his, comparatively, weaker leg.  If you watch his longer kicks, they are often line drives with little elevation.

He can make kicks from 50+, but he doesn't have the booming leg.

Still, a very solid kicker who did a very good job for us in 2021 - glad he's back.

Looks like Braden Mann was pretty good at kickoffs for touchbacks last year.  I'm fine going that route again if it covers up a weakness in Pineiro's game.  I was disappointed to see Ammendola not work out but I just want someone reliable.  I want to put the Kessman nightmare as far behind us as possible.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Looks like Braden Mann was pretty good at kickoffs for touchbacks last year.  I'm fine going that route again if it covers up a weakness in Pineiro's game.  I was disappointed to see Ammendola not work out but I just want someone reliable.  I want to put the Kessman nightmare as far behind us as possible.

I'd already forgotten about Kessman - thanks for the reminder!

Ammendola is still around though, on the PS after Pineiro was brought in. He should get another chance in pre-season.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

The guy played through a torn labrum, fractured humerus and cracked rib last year.

Team said publicly in January he was their QB, then went after Watson as soon as the Grand Jury didn’t indict.

He never said a bad word through any of it, then after the owner, HC and GM flew out to meet with Watson yesterday Baker told the city and the Browns fans no matter what he loved playing there for them and the team. Then he thanked them for all they gave to him and his family.

Yeah… that makes him a tool. ?

BTW I probably follow the Browns more closely than anyone here. Their fans are furious with Haslem, Berry and Stefanski right now because of this.

Hats off for following the browns 

Adding Flacco to Feeney and Shepherd would put a damper on things.  There is no rule that for every good new player you sign you have to sign a garbage incumbent player.

Also, nice to see that Douglas has now solved Fg kicker.....for the 10th time in three years.