Deshaun Watson criminal charges dropped

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jets need to be offering Zach Wilson, #4 and #10 as we speak or Douglas should just quit. Someone is about to get a 26 year elite QB and if we decide not to throw our hat in that ring, we are so, so doomed

You beat me to it. I’d do this in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If you want to believe that it’s weird that I take the accusers side in a he said - she said/she said/she said/she said/she said/she said/she said/she said/she said/she said/she said/she said/she said/she said…(I think I’ve made my point) case, then so be it.  That’s for you to sleep at night with.  I find it alarming, not just strange, that anyone could read the full details of this case and, somehow, believe that 20+ women, who don’t know one another, got together and came up with this grand scheme to extort Deshaun.

Something tells me that if Watson wasn’t someone who could help their favorite football team immensely, people wouldn’t be so easily swayed.

Can you provide me to a link to the “full details of the case”? Because I’m only aware of the Vrentas “Mary” article and Buzbee’s press conferences. I’d presume the many and varied groups who hand-waved Buzbee’s case heard more “details” than you and I have. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think Buzbee was exploiting these women for money and fame, and to punish Watson for trying to leave the Texans. I also think Watson did all sorts of gross and untoward sh*t. 

It all goes in a circle. You know Robert Kraft was involved somehow in all of this crap

1 minute ago, Hex said:

It all goes in a circle. You know Robert Kraft was involved somehow in all of this crap

Yeah when the Pats somehow trade for him and “rehabilitate  his image “ because if there’s ever a coach that can handle it, it’s Bill. Blah blah. Barf. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Can you provide me to a link to the “full details of the case”? Because I’m only aware of the Vrentas “Mary” article and Buzbee’s press conferences. I’d presume the many and varied groups who hand-waved Buzbee’s case heard more “details” than you and I have. 

I didn't know Soros, paid you to be a DA....  That's awesome.

Depending on what you believe there was either a pattern of behavior or a money grab from opportunistic women.

The lack of evidence is evidence no? Someone here did make a good point about no text messages with the accused apologizing or even accusations. In today's society text and app messages are what usually catches people where there is a lack of other substantiating evidence. It is alarming that in 20 some odd cases there is not one message. At least not that has been publicized yet.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

By full details I mean by what we know and what has been brought to the public, but you already knew that.  

Furthermore, I have seen you absolutely slam the NFL and Goodell’s “investigations” in the past on this very forum.  This time though it’s “innocent until proven guilty”.   Im genuinely curious.  What’s your opinion on the Washington Redskins cheerleader situation?  The Dallas Cowboys cheerleader situation?  Are Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones in the clear, in your opinion, because the NFL deemed them clear of any serious wrongdoing?  In your eyes, were the the fines/punishments (if any) levied against them adequate justice?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So Watson is guilty of being a serial sexual predator, but the real villain here is…:checks notes:…the lawyer. 

It’s absolutely amazing to me that anyone could type that out and say “Yeah, this seems pretty reasonable to me”.

• Upvote 3

I took crap for saying to wait 'til the criminal proceedings before passing judgment. 

So much BS can be in reports n news, but when it comes time to actually charge someone, much of it can suddenly disappear.  Seems like a lot of the larger accusations didn't even make it to the criminal proceedings.

Glad he's off the hook, the smear job ultimately failed.  I mean this all came out right as he was pissing off some powerful rich dudes?  Kinda suspicious no?

And I'd take him as QB any day.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

By full details I mean by what we know and what has been brought to the public, but you already knew that.  Just like you know that you have absolutely slammed the NFL and Goodell’s “investigations” in the past.  This time though it’s “innocent until proven guilty”. Curious.  What’s your opinion on the Washington Redskins cheerleader situation?  The Dallas Cowboys cheerleader situation?  Are Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones in the clear, in your opinion, because the NFL deemed them clear of any serious wrongdoing?  In your eyes, were the the fines/punishments (if any) levied against them adequate justice?

Goodell’s investigations are clearly a sham. He manages a league chock full of detestable sociopaths, which stops exactly zero of us from obsessively watching the sport and commenting about it on the internet in March. My point about getting the “full details” is that it would seem the details the public has and the details presented to the grand jury and HPD would appear to be a tad bit different, considering Watson isn’t being charged, so maybe we should be careful in presuming we know much at all about this case.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think Buzbee was exploiting these women for money and fame, and to punish Watson for trying to leave the Texans. I also think Watson did all sorts of gross and untoward sh*t. 

The majority of these women telling the truth and Buzbee being a gross, self-serving, whore of a lawyer can both be true.

In an alternate universe where Watson never had a falling out with the Texans, Buzbee could be defending Watson and paying the women to stay silent.

But, maybe you missed the article that detailed the woman who accuses Watson who isn't represented by Buzbee. Unless, of course, you want to call "fake news" or that it's a plant by Buzbee or something.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Depending on what you believe there was either a pattern of behavior or a money grab from opportunistic women.

The lack of evidence is evidence no? Someone here did make a good point about no text messages with the accused apologizing or even accusations. In today's society text and app messages are what usually catches people where there is a lack of other substantiating evidence. It is alarming that in 20 some odd cases there is not one message. At least not that has been publicized yet.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

I could've sworn there were messages from Deshaun apologizing posted in the original thread on here, unless I'm confusing it with a different case.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

The majority of these women telling the truth and Buzbee being a gross, self-serving, whore of a lawyer can both be true.

In an alternate universe where Watson never had a falling out with the Texans, Buzbee could be defending Watson and paying the women to stay silent.

But, maybe you missed the article that detailed the woman who accuses Watson who isn't represented by Buzbee. Unless, of course, you want to call "fake news" or that it's a plant by Buzbee or something.

I’m still trying to figure out how, if Watson raped someone. That didn’t make any jury convict. 

sounds like the lawyers for the ladies sucks. That has to be it right?

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Goodell’s investigations are clearly a sham. He manages a league chock full of detestable sociopaths, which stops exactly zero of us from obsessively watching the sport and commenting about it on the internet in March.

Then maybe don’t cite “the NFL” as one of the groups that you are choosing to believe did a good enough job to declare DeShaun Watson innocent.

My point about getting the “full details” is that it would seem the details the public has and the details presented to the grand jury and HPD would appear to be a tad bit different, considering Watson isn’t being charged, so maybe we should be careful in presuming we know much at all about this case.

That’s fair.  As much as I adamantly disagree with your opinion on this given what I have read about this case, I admit that, yes, we “…technically don’t know all the facts being presented”.  I just don’t buy it though. At all.  There are an unprecedented amount of similar stories, from women who don’t have any connections to one another, and Watson has already ADMITTED that he did some “things” with these women, he just insists that he believes the acts were “consensual”.  There’s more smoke in here than a teenager’s 2005 Jetta, parked on a side street, in the middle of a Friday twilight. 

*Responses in bold*

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My point about getting the “full details” is that it would seem the details the public has and the details presented to the grand jury and HPD would appear to be a tad bit different, considering Watson isn’t being charged, so maybe we should be careful in presuming we know much at all about this case.

This is actually very likely to be incorrect. It’s more likely that the evidence presented to the grand jury is similar to that of some of the civil suits, (which are all public record and you’re free to read them), and given that we’re basically talking about a coin flip and that’s not good enough in a criminal case. This is why the prosecutor in the Cosby case resorted to what he did. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I could've sworn there were messages from Deshaun apologizing posted in the original thread on here, unless I'm confusing it with a different case.

Yes, there were.  I was the one who posted them.  When the accusations and messages came to light, many of the victims were sending in screenshots showing Watson deleting the messages through Instagram as well.  Fortunately, most of them had already been screenshot.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Stark said:

I’m still trying to figure out how, if Watson raped someone. That didn’t make any jury convict. 

From what we've heard, it wasn't full on "rape" but "forced oral" and that was only in a couple of the cases. I think the main problem is lack of physical evidence. Maybe if these women immediately went to the authorities afterwards, they'd have had a better chance of collecting physical evidence, but that's the problem with sexual assault and rape; many victims don't come forward for months or years, long after any potential evidence has been washed away or lost.

This case is more about Watson's word versus theirs, and there is a whole history of a woman's word (especially against a powerful figure or athlete) being dismissed.

Victims of sexual assault or abuse need to be empowered to come forward IMMEDIATELY, because that's the best chance they have of getting justice, and it doesn't help when every time they do, a fraction of people end up claiming that they're doing it for money or attention, and that sh*t is going on in this thread. That disgusts me just as much as the thought of a sexual predator getting away with it.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

18 minutes ago, Stark said:

Exactly. If there is one body of law that we know has a strong record of prosecuting and convicting perpetrators, it’s sexual assault law.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Reading up on it, 9 of the 12 jurors have to agree that there was criminal conduct evident in what Watson did, otherwise it falls to the prosecutor to decide how to proceed. Florio is suggesting that the prosecutor isn’r interested in dragging this out:

“Putting it another way, if the prosecutor were determined to make things as difficult for Watson as possible, the prosecutor would drag this out, forcing Watson to watch opportunities disappear as his legal status remains unresolved. By moving now, the prosecutor arguably is looking to be fair to Watson.

In turn, this could mean that the prosecutor will be making a fair and balanced presentation of evidence, instead of seizing on the opportunity to get the grand jury to indict Watson on the worst possible charges, regardless of whether an eventual conviction would be likely.

Even then, the grand jury decides whether to proceed with formal charges. That decision could come today, or it could come later.”

I guess the question is ... can Deshaun afford the prosecutor.
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is actually very likely to be incorrect. It’s more likely that the evidence presented to the grand jury is similar to that of some of the civil suits, (which are all public record and you’re free to read them), and given that we’re basically talking about a coin flip and that’s not good enough in a criminal case. This is why the prosecutor in the Cosby case resorted to what he did. 

I’m just putting myself into the position of being on that jury and hearing compelling evidence about forced oral sex and the assorted ****ed up things he was accused of, and how much counter testimony it would take for me to *not* recommend prosecution based on what was presented by Buzbee, etc., and I’d have to believe there was something significant there. Based on what is publicly available, yes, Watson should be tried, so I’m curious as to the stuff we’re not hearing about. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m just putting myself into the position of being on that jury and hearing compelling evidence about forced oral sex and the assorted ****ed up things he was accused of, and how much counter testimony it would take for me to *not* recommend prosecution based on what was presented by Buzbee, etc., and I’d have to believe there was something significant there. Based on what is publicly available, yes, Watson should be tried, so I’m curious as to the stuff we’re not hearing about. 

This is not how grand juries work. I’m starting to think that your knowledge of this subject is based on watching Primal Fear a bunch of times. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Folks need to stop personally investing in cases to which they are simply not privy to all the details.  It's not about how we feel, it's about the facts.

Some personal news: I am leaving my career as microbiologist and infectious disease expert and taking a position as guest lecturer on Russian and Eastern European affairs

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Grand jury result should mean nothing. Prosecutor can present whatever evidence she wants and there is no defense. A grand jury can indict a ham sandwich. 

NFL and teams should make decisions off of what they already know per their investigations. 

No

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Goodell’s investigations are clearly a sham. He manages a league chock full of detestable sociopaths, which stops exactly zero of us from obsessively watching the sport and commenting about it on the internet in March. My point about getting the “full details” is that it would seem the details the public has and the details presented to the grand jury and HPD would appear to be a tad bit different, considering Watson isn’t being charged, so maybe we should be careful in presuming we know much at all about this case.

Call me crazy but I think with all the facts in front of them the threshold of crimes are different from common sense used by a league and the threshold needed to prove a case in court.

Or that women accusing Watson in a NFL investigation is different than getting women to reveal what they may have forced to do in a court case for all the world to hear

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jets need to be offering Zach Wilson, #4 and #10 as we speak or Douglas should just quit. Someone is about to get a 26 year elite QB and if we decide not to throw our hat in that ring, we are so, so doomed

Seen nothing in Wilson that would preclude this. We can keep pretending he will be a great NFL QB; I do not see it. Jets best offensive day last season was vs. the eventual AFC champs with Mike White.We can fold bend and mutilate the numbers all day; out of the 3 QBs Jets employed, Wilson was remedial reading level compared to the other 2. While neither White nor Flacco were All Pro, looked like an NFL offense was on the field. Looked mostly awful with Wilson. 

Would love to keep one of these picks, and perhaps give them a 1 next year or some other stuff. 

Watson may in fact be a creep and not terribly smart. But a collection of ladies who come to you primo house with their own massage tables and equipment; the whole story is odd. Basis for a suspension would be that...Watson is less than gentlemanly with female contractors? There would be about 10 minutes of teeth-gnashing by cable TV mouth breathers; big deal. Get a real QB and stop f___ing around. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

You know what, I’m not going to say anything other than you would feel very differently about this if you knew someone that went through a very similar situation as the 20+ victims/accusers.

I’m going to be truly honest.  No jokes about our QB situation/Zach/etc.  Nothing.  I’ll take any other QB in the league over him as the face of my franchise any day of the week and twice on Sundays, even if it meant 0-17.  The day the Jets knowingly employ someone like Watson is the day I’m done with them for good.  The idea that he’s going to get away with this makes me physically sick.  His time will come, one way or another though.  

You’re favorite team employed and played a man at QB who was found guilty without a shadow of a doubt and did jail time for torturing, abusing and murdering helpless, defenseless dogs for entertainment and you’re still here.