Deshaun Watson criminal charges dropped

In situations like this there doesn't tend to be a lot of physical evidence - if any. It tends largely to be one person's word against another (or several people's words). Which makes a court case very difficult.

Unless you have video or audio recordings, how do you prove what someone said to you, or whether they acted improperly / indecently in front of you? And if you do have recordings it will potentially look like a set up, or at worst the recordings won't be admissible if they were made without consent / awareness.

As for the comments above about this proving Watson's innocence ... was OJ Simpson proven innocent?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jets need to be offering Zach Wilson, #4 and #10 as we speak or Douglas should just quit. Someone is about to get a 26 year elite QB and if we decide not to throw our hat in that ring, we are so, so doomed

You're not serious I hope?  No way would he agree to or want to come here...who is he throwing to, me and you?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jets need to be offering Zach Wilson, #4 and #10 as we speak or Douglas should just quit. Someone is about to get a 26 year elite QB and if we decide not to throw our hat in that ring, we are so, so doomed

Almost $30mm in dead cap space to trade Wilson unless I'm reading it wrong. Then Watsons contract on top of it? I'm not one of these save all the cap space bros but I don't know if this is doable?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/zach-wilson-72381/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/deshaun-watson-21753/

44 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

You think people care when they already had they’re minds made up that he was a rape’er?

But these accusers…… I will just say  it’s sad  how evil people can be just for a ? 

Not enough evidence ≠ Innocent

This is similar to "The Play Stands as Called"

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Almost $30mm in dead cap space to trade Wilson unless I'm reading it wrong. Then Watsons contract on top of it? I'm not one of these save all the cap space bros but I don't know if this is doable?

I really don't see JD making this kind of move, even if feasible. And, if he did, I'm done with the Jets for the foreseeable future.

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, Hex said:

I feel so bad for him now. He lost a year of his prime because some people wanted publicity

Glad it's over

You're aware that he didn't lose last year because of a suspension right? 

He didn't play because of his beef with the Texans.

As others have noted, I expected no charges due the challenge of he said/she said lacking physical or video evidence, but I do expect civil settlements before all is said and done.  He'll never let it get to actual court on the civil side.

For his NFL future, however, he's now free and clear.  I don't expect a suspension, and I do expect him to be traded within the next few weeks.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I’m no longer of the belief that the salary cap is an impediment to doing much in the NFL

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DLJ said:

This doesn’t mean he didn’t molest the women it merely means they didn’t have enough physical evidence to charge him. It will be water under the bridge and he will be wearing new colors soon.

They’ll just sue him for coin or he’ll settle with them

Can't wait for the Deshaun Watson Redemption Arc and watch as all the announcers slob his knob every game and talk about how such a sweet, misunderstood guy he really is.

All while Colin Kaepernick can't get within 100 yards of a football field.

The NFL really disgusts me.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

You're aware that he didn't lose last year because of a suspension right? 

He didn't play because of his beef with the Texans.

As others have noted, I expected no charges due the challenge of he said/she said lacking physical or video evidence, but I do expect civil settlements before all is said and done.  He'll never let it get to actual court on the civil side.

For his NFL future, however, he's now free and clear.  I don't expect a suspension, and I do expect him to be traded within the next few weeks.

That's a good point. I guess I didn't really understand the situation well enough

6 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I really don't see JD making this kind of move, even if feasible. And, if he did, I'm done with the Jets for the foreseeable future.

Yea I was one of the biggest voices pushing for Watson last year but not anymore.

I have a daughter due in June, I'll find a new team before I cheer for Watson.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Hex said:

That's a good point. I guess I didn't really understand the situation well enough

The accusations were certainly hanging over him, so no harm in presuming it was a factor (and it was), but ultimately the primary cause boiled down to 1. his refusing to play for the Texans and 2. the Texans refusing to trade him for anything less than 3x #1's+, and with the accusations there, no one bit on the trade.

End result, he sat.  So to be sure, the accusations played a part in it, but the core was his beef against he Texans and the fact they couldn;t get anyone to buy him.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The accusations were certainly hanging over him, so no harm in presuming it was a factor (and it was), but ultimately the primary cause boiled down to 1. his refusing to play for the Texans and 2. the Texans refusing to trade him for anything less than 3x #1's+, and with the accusations there, no one bit on the trade.

End result, he sat.  So to be sure, the accusations played a part in it, but the core was his beef against he Texans and the fact they couldn;t get anyone to buy him.

That's good to know. Thanks for explaining

11 minutes ago, DLJ said:

This doesn’t mean he didn’t molest the women it merely means they didn’t have enough physical evidence to charge him. It will be water under the bridge and he will be wearing new colors soon.

They’ll just sue him for coin or he’ll settle with them

And to think thats how this all got started , cause he wouldnt settle with the first case according to the lawyer

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

You'd advocate for trading for Pol Pot if he could help the Jets winner a Super Bowl.

1. Yes

2. 12 people sat in a room today and saw and heard more about what happened with Watson and these women than anyone has since this all started, and apparently those twelve people hand-waved the charges with alacrity. What more do you want from Watson? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Not enough evidence ≠ Innocent

This is similar to "The Play Stands as Called"

I’m sure the woman who only went for criminal charges after the public questioning why were they seeking civil, are victims of this disgusting system and Watson. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

1. Yes

2. 12 people sat in a room today and saw and heard more about what happened with Watson and these women than anyone has since this all started, and apparently those twelve people hand-waved the charges with alacrity. What more do you want from Watson? 

Wouldn't be the first time that charges aren't pursued against someone for lack of evidence, especially in cases of sexual assault. The justice system is tricky.

The whole thing is a matter of he-said she-said, and, in this case, there's a lot more she-said. Prove that all 20+ women are lying, or the vast majority and most egregious accusations. Until then, I'm going to be inclined to believe the majority of voices in this case vs the one.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We do whatever it takes to get him. I mean literally both 1sts and 2nds and Wilson. In a single move we’d become a threat. 

We are the Jets though it won’t happen. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1