GMFB: Garafolo Says Watch Jets In Free Agency

5 hours ago, ncjetman said:

rhodes had potential but wouldn’t (not couldn’t) tackle and hated players coach rex ryan- leonhard was really just a jag - good guy played hard but way undersized - free safety has been a free fall zone forever

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Did you watch those 2008-2011 Jets games?

Before Leonhard signed to the Jets - who was one of the 1st CRUCIAL FA signings under Rex, the defense went from the bottom of the league, 29th overall? 18th in Pass defense?, to #1 overall. The key difference was Leonhard coming over from Baltimore and knowing EXACTLY how to run and call that defense. He made Rhodes expendable the next year. 

Leonhard was a JAG physically but was a Football player and made an IMMEDIATE IMPACT and significant upgrade as a FA signing when he got here. The tape don’t lie and the team defensive numbers back it up. Go watch those 2009 and 2010 games and see how he came up BIG for the defense despite his stature. #36 was one of the more underrated Jets players on some loaded with talent 2009-2011 Jets teams. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

No. Players don't only pick where they're going based on money. You changed your argument from "imagined" to "most of the time." Which one is it? 

We can play the example game all day:

(1) Gronk wasn't going to re-sign with the highest bidder, he only came back to play with Brady; (2) Peyton was not going to go sign with anyone, he wanted to win another super bowl; (3) FAs talk about making decisions with their families based on where the right place to move is, etc.

Now, some players do go for the pay day, no doubt. But others make decisions with their families based on factors other than money. My point is, we don't appear to be a destination right now. You're right about the Seattle and Bengals comparison. It can change I hope it does. Gronk said he would consider playing in Cinci now because of what they've done. If the team progresses, and especially if ZW come out of next season looking exciting, then guys will come.

I get the idea of: Pay him the money and he'll come. But not all players will play that game, so it is not imagined. But, Jets can only pay so many players more than others are offering.

Whatever. You never say every time, but most of the time they go for the cash

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Recently? Pretty often.

Matthew Stafford rewrites his legacy with Super Bowl win - Sports  Illustrated

Super Bowl 2022: Rams announce WR Odell Beckham Jr.'s status after knee  injury (UPDATE) - nj.com

np_file_68223.jpeg

lol fair enough - but one is anomaly/outlier. Anyone discussion leveraging Brady in as proof is automatic 2 min penalty. 

Rams, yes. One of the few -- but they've put all their chips. Fck draft capital. I'd say more often, it's not a fairy tale story.

Also helps that the Rams get production out of the guys they do draft

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

lol fair enough - but one is anomaly/outlier. Anyone discussion leveraging Brady in as proof is automatic 2 min penalty. 

Rams, yes. One of the few -- but they've put all their chips. Fck draft capital. I'd say more often, it's not a fairy tale story.

Also helps that the Rams get production out of the guys they do draft

Anomalies for sure, but there's a trend developing here somehow.  Teams that believe they are good are pivoting quickly at important positions like QB.  They aren't wasting time and they're strike while the iron is hot if they have teams where the rest of the roster is very good.  That's two years in a row where a team won a Super Bowl with a first-year QB rental.  The Colts tried it with Wentz and are now pivoting quickly.  My guess is that wherever DeShaun Watson ends up (I hope it isn't Miami),  that team probably has a 75% chance of making the playoffs without me even knowing which team will get him.

But you're correct about the Rams (and Bucs) getting production from the rest of their teams.  As the saying goes, they "were a quarterback away!" But those teams were also QB-ready.

This might be the best thing about the Jets situation if they continue to build out the rest of the roster.  Perhaps the team will be QB-ready IF Zach doesn't turn out to be the guy in two years.  And, if JD continues to manage his resources (Cap, draft picks) then at that point the Jets could be in a spot to make a splash trade for a veteran QB if that's the only missing piece.  The problem is that the Jets have now tried the "Draft a Top 3 QB" approach twice and it's been done while having a bad roster that a young QB has had to work with.

I think it's also important to remember that between JD's time in Baltimore and Philly, and Saleh's time in SF the two of them have seen 3 Super Bowls and won two of them with Joe Flacco, Nick Foles and Jimmy Garapolo.  Those three data points might, rightly or wrongly, have them believe that you don't need more than an above average QB to succeed in this league.

I haven’t read any of this thread in a minute, so, maybe you guys said it for me, but, JD isn’t changing his philosophy and he already said even tho there’s added pressure to win and build fast, he isn’t going off track and out of his process to compensate for the pressure. He’s going to make decisions he believes to be purposeful and sound. 

I don’t believe Mike Garafolo has the scoop at all. I think he sees a team with needs and a ton of money and he made a simple guess.