Joe being joe

kmnj

I really liked duck down in outer banks. They have em up here on the island now and it's just not the same. I guess its kinda like pizza outside of new york.
I'm sure there's some good boutique places near Manhattan but that's not haunt.
I can confirm this ... was in corolla for a week ... duck was way better there than in Paramus NJ

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed.  I mean, if we're buying into what JD is building then this is a "build year" rather than a "go for it all" year.  

It’s a compete year. They have a ton of bad money coming off the cap next year.   They’ll have plenty of money. Spending this year is necessary and safe.   
 Again.  Let’s see how this plays out, but showing no interest in Cooper is worrisome.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I came back to read what Jet fans are saying here and its like an alternate reality. "Not making trades to help his team"

We have the 10th pick in the draft and Douglas single handedly destroyed the Seahawks to the point they are rebuilding now. We also have a 2 and 4 for Darnold. 

• Sympathy 2

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Who cares about the Rams buying a trophy.  In 3 years mcvey will be in the MNF booth and the rams will be one of the worst teams in the league for the next decade.

We are building a multi super bowl championship team that will have a run like the patriots did for decades.

See the big picture and stop looking for the quick fixes.

Dude, I would give my left testicle at this point for a Super Bowl win and a decade of incompetence afterwards at this point. Additionally, you are snorting rails of bath salts if you think the Jets are building a team that's going on a Patriots run. 

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I came back to read what Jet fans are saying here and its like an alternate reality. "Not making trades to help his team"

We have the 10th pick in the draft and Douglas single handedly destroyed the Seahawks to the point they are rebuilding now. We also have a 2 and 4 for Darnold. 

Douglas could have traded that 4th he got for Herndon or Darnold for Amari Cooper let that sink in

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

After more than 50 years without a championship I don't think you'd hear too many complaints if the Jets "bought" a Super Bowl through big FA spending for one season and then had to rebuild for 3 or 4 years after that.... partially because we've already been doing the 3-4 year rebuilds about 10 times in a row but without the trophy part.

The last 2 teams that won the Super Bowl were largely built through free agency. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

The 2021 draft was the best draft the Jets have had since 2006. JD inherited a JV roster from Mac. He did the smart move and totally tore it down. We are now in the build up stage. 

It was better than 2007, when the Jets drafted Revis (a hall of famer) and Harris? ok. 

12 hours ago, Dunnie said:
12 hours ago, naturalscience said:
I really liked duck down in outer banks. They have em up here on the island now and it's just not the same. I guess its kinda like pizza outside of new york.
I'm sure there's some good boutique places near Manhattan but that's not haunt.

I can confirm this ... was in corolla for a week ... duck was way better there than in Paramus NJ

If you're in the Outer Banks, try Slice Pizza in Kill Devil Hills.  Not exactly NY style, but a must-have for me every time I'm there (as a non-NY'er who lacks access to real NY pizza).

Duck is great as is Corolla, stayed up there more than once (got married in Duck actually, right on the beach, in my Kilt to boot, in 98 degree summer sun, lol).

Trouble is that road.  One major two-lane (one each way) road in to Duck and out.  On busy weekends, it's a nightmare.  Like 4 hours from bridge to Duck type nightmare.  

Also depends on your budget, Duck is pricey, with fewer condos for rent and more big houses.  Lucky you if big houses are in your price range :) 

I've go to OBX once a year at least, best beach and experience on the East Coast IMO.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

15 hours ago, Larz said:

The illusion every off season is if the jets fill some holes, they will improve. 

The reality is you have to do a better job of getting better than the teams  in your division and conference  

this is an average to below average free agent class because teams have evaluated the draft as an average to below average draft  , they are keeping the high end guys or aggressively going after high end guys  

The AFC QBs are;

Mahomes

Allem

Burrow

Jackson

Wilson

Herbert

Lawrence  

The lack of urgency is going to get JD in the end.  It’s a risk management business to an extent, and Joe is simply too risk averse to gain any ground. 

The question to ask after the draft is;

”Are the cheaters sweating what Joe did?”

Like all drafts this one has its strengths and weaknesses. The question is whether it's a good draft given the Jets' needs and the potential to trade back. There are definitely some very good if not franchise players that fit our needs -- OL, TE, Edge, RB, WR, S -- but because of the QB mediocrity, trading back out of high picks will be difficult to impossible. The Jets can definitely improve out of this draft, but they won't be competitive if they rely on the draft alone, or merely shore up with B level FA's. The Jets are too far away from fielding a good team to act like bookkeepers when they need to be aggressive. There are no trophies given for most cap space. 

• Upvote 3

If you're in the Outer Banks, try Slice Pizza in Kill Devil Hills.  Not exactly NY style, but a must-have for me every time I'm there (as a non-NY'er who lacks access to real NY pizza).
Duck is great as is Corolla, stayed up there more than once (got married in Duck actually, right on the beach, in my Kilt to boot, in 98 degree summer sun, lol).
Trouble is that road.  One major two-lane (one each way) road in to Duck and out.  On busy weekends, it's a nightmare.  Like 4 hours from bridge to Duck type nightmare.  
Also depends on your budget, Duck is pricey, with fewer condos for rent and more big houses.  Lucky you if big houses are in your price range  
I've go to OBX once a year at least, best beach and experience on the East Coast IMO.  
Shhhhhhhhhhh goddammmmit
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Like all drafts this one has its strengths and weaknesses. The question is whether it's a good draft given the Jets' needs and the potential to trade back. There are definitely some very good if not franchise players that fit our needs -- OL, TE, Edge, RB, WR, S -- but because of the QB mediocrity, trading back out of high picks will be difficult to impossible. The Jets can definitely improve out of this draft, but they won't be competitive if they rely on the draft alone, or merely shore up with B level FA's. The Jets are too far away from fielding a good team to act like bookkeepers when they need to be aggressive. There are no trophies given for most cap space. 

Heard on Sirius radio yesterday that one team that may be looking to move up for a QB is the saints. They have pick#18. In our case, would probably be to get to #10, if they loved a guy. This year, who knows?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

Every year since the legal tampering was put in place the actual difference makers get tagged, extended or traded in the 4-5 days prior to the beginning of the tampering period starts  

when real FA starts the contenders and lifestyle locations with low taxes have a huge edge. 

Jets usually wind up getting the injury prone guy looking for the last big contract and goes to the highest bidder. 

trading for cooper would show free agents that the Jets are trying to change things and the ripple effect for Wilson having an elite route runner and Davis and Moore facing lesser quality DBs would have had a very big impact. 

but hey JD saved cap room so there’s that 

True. Believe me no one is more frustrated than me when it comes to our FA agent follies, especially the injury prone and last contract vacation players. I would have liked Cooper but as hard as it is to have any faith we will make the right move, I will still reserve judgment until after the draft.

• Upvote 2

Just now, FTL Jet Fan said:

True. Believe me no one is more frustrated than me when it comes to our FA agent follies, especially the injury prone and last contract vacation players. I would have liked Cooper but as hard as it is to have any faith we will make the right move, I will still reserve judgment until after the draft.

I don’t know why my frustration is coming out like this lol. Maybe it’s self defense?  

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Larz said:

I don’t know why my frustration is coming out like this lol. Maybe it’s self defense?  

Lol, I hear you it’s frustrating especially when they put out all this marketing BS “ready to strike then I see Cooper to the Browns.  I have been telling my self for way too long they have a plan they have to, then by week 3, reality hits, hard. I’m just in self preservation mode with this team that’s all I can do to survive being a fan.

19 hours ago, Larz said:

The illusion every off season is if the jets fill some holes, they will improve. 

The reality is you have to do a better job of getting better than the teams  in your division and conference  

this is an average to below average free agent class because teams have evaluated the draft as an average to below average draft  , they are keeping the high end guys or aggressively going after high end guys  

The AFC QBs are;

Mahomes

Allem

Burrow

Jackson

Wilson

Herbert

Lawrence  

The lack of urgency is going to get JD in the end.  It’s a risk management business to an extent, and Joe is simply too risk averse to gain any ground. 

The question to ask after the draft is;

”Are the cheaters sweating what Joe did?”

This team was crippled from Mac's contracts and draft picks. Douglas should have 2 more years IMO. This year is all in on Wilson. If he improves then we join the arms race in 2023. If Wilson under performs then we have a QB competition.

By the end of 2023 we will evaluate everything, did Joe's other draft picks succeed? Is that enough to justify Douglas bringing in another QB? Is the team playing hard for Saleh? 

I would think we should have a good handle on this team after 2023 season. 

• WTF? 1

Lol those that say free agency has not started yet - officially yes but we know teams are picking up their guys , putting deals in place and making trades - joe didn’t even sniff cooper just shows up bad he is - hey joe u would rather have your boy Denzel right ? Wait u can bring in another washed jag like u did last year 

10 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

This team was crippled from Mac's contracts and draft picks. Douglas should have 2 more years IMO. This year is all in on Wilson. If he improves then we join the arms race in 2023. If Wilson under performs then we have a QB competition.

By the end of 2023 we will evaluate everything, did Joe's other draft picks succeed? Is that enough to justify Douglas bringing in another QB? Is the team playing hard for Saleh? 

I would think we should have a good handle on this team after 2023 season. 

This is all completely true and we'll have to hold full judgement until then.  But he got rid of all the dead weight and bad contracts - this is really the year to start truly building back up.  They need to find impact players if they want to win - showing no interest in Cooper is concerning. 

But you are right, let's see how this all plays out before giving up on him.

3 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Joe excuse makers live in bizarro world - bad records mean progress , bad roster means lots of talent

Joe”s record is approaching historic levels of bad 

13-36 and counting.  No worries, JD will be gone soon enough.  He'll become another in the plethora of NY Jets GM failures.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Lol those that say free agency has not started yet - officially yes but we know teams are picking up their guys , putting deals in place and making trades - joe didn’t even sniff cooper just shows up bad he is - hey joe u would rather have your boy Denzel right ? Wait u can bring in another washed jag like u did last year 

I mean we don't know what deals Joe has in place for the start of FA.   You are right, many deals are already lined up - and it's certainly possible the reason we didn't go after Cooper was something else was already set up.  

He clearly had no interest in Cooper and would not have pursued him even if he got to FA.  No question that's concerning but I do think we need to see FA play out before losing it.

1 hour ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

FA agency hasn’t even started yet and Jets fans are ready to jump off bridges because of Cooper , it’s like kids who didn’t get the toy they wanted . Can we at least wait until after the draft,  then we can march on one Jets drive. 

I think it's the realization that virtually all of the star FA's have been either franchised or traded that's got fans worried we will be doing the usual shuffling of B-deck ch.airs on the Titanic. It happens every year, of course, but this happens to be a year when the Jets are swimming in cap space and we are likely to watch it be scattered on guys who will barely move the needle. I hope I'm wrong and JD really does have big plans, but I sincerely doubt it. He's about as free spending as a Scottish banker.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I mean we don't know what deals Joe has in place for the start of FA.   You are right, many deals are already lined up - and it's certainly possible the reason we didn't go after Cooper was something else was already set up.  

He clearly had no interest in Cooper and would not have pursued him even if he got to FA.  No question that's concerning but I do think we need to see FA play out before losing it.

Seems like you have a lot of faith in a guy who hasn't done a damn thing but make yard sell and flea market deals. What exactly has he done to give you this false hope that he has some clever deals up his sleeve?

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Question - Don't you think the Jets should have a more assertive, take-charge GM rather than having Robert Saleh make the Draft picks last year to bail out JD after he flopped in 2020?

Based on what?  A dream you had or just because it goes with what youre trying to sell?