Joe being joe

kmnj

20 minutes ago, STLuLu said:

Seems like you have a lot of faith in a guy who hasn't done a damn thing but make yard sell and flea market deals. What exactly has he done to give you this false hope that he has some clever deals up his sleeve?

I'm not saying he does - just that I'm willing to wait it out and see how it goes over the next two weeks before calling for his head.

Again, I liked the strategy, but the easy part is done - and now that's it's time to build I expect to him to do so.  This is the off-season to make that happen.  

Just because wasn't interested in Cooper isn't enough for me to give up on him...but, for instance, if we go into the regularly season with Davis, Moore, Mims, some other Jag Cole type and a rookie (even if taken at #4) I will have lost faith in him completely.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I'm not saying he does - just that I'm willing to wait it out and see how it goes over the next two weeks before calling for his head.

Again, I liked the strategy, but the easy part is done - and now that's it's time to build I expect to him to do so.  This is the off-season to make that happen.  

Just because wasn't interested in Cooper isn't enough for me to give up on him...but, for instance, if we go into the regularly season with Davis, Moore, Mims, some other Jag Cole type and a rookie (even if taken at #4) I will have lost faith in him completely.

If you look at what’s available, who has WR needs and the city’s those teams are in… it’s safe to say this is the likely outcome, unless JD can get involved in the Watson deal or whatever and trade for someone..

At this point we are looking at another season of having a suspect skill room 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If the WR group is worse after last season that’s a big issue.

If they are passing Cooper to roll the dice then it’s a bad play.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

What is his strategy? We've watched teams like Buffalo and CIN rise, meanwhile Dougl-ass supporters are still talking about having patience in his plan.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, STLuLu said:

What is his strategy? We've watched teams like Buffalo and CIN rise, meanwhile Dougl-ass supporters are still talking about having patience in his plan.

Yes.  Well his strategy was to clear out all the garbage that Mac left him with, tear the thing down to the studs..

Accumulate draft capital and cap space...

That was, at least what I thought, was the strategy.  I've had patience in his plan - but there's no excuse this year to not be aggressive.  He doesn't have to mortgage the future but if there's a legitimate star available at a position of deep need and to not even show interest is clearly concerning.  But I'll let this off-season play out before accepting that JD never really had a plan and was just a coward.

• Upvote 1

Zach’s toast. Douglas isn’t going to provide him with enough support to give him a chance to develop.

Same sh*t we saw with Sanchez and Darnold - the team never has the sole focus of doing everything possible to support the young QB.

Wait until we use one or both 1st round picks on defense…

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, maury77 said:

The last 2 teams that won the Super Bowl were largely built through free agency. 

This is absolutely false.  The Rams built their team in the draft.  And lately through trades.  They were built already and were a perennial playoff team (and SB team) before they made the Ramsay/Stafford/Miller trades.  Same with the Bucs.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Zach’s toast. Douglas isn’t going to provide him with enough support to give him a chance to develop.

Same sh*t we saw with Sanchez and Darnold - the team never has the sole focus of doing everything possible to support the young QB.

Wait until we use one or both 1st round picks on defense…

Oh, I'm convinced we're using our first 2 picks on D (depending on what happens in FA, of course). I'm sure we're looking at CB / Edge in round 1, maybe OL and WR in round two? Then TE in 3, and BPA the rest of the way down.

9 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm pretty sure this will be the case. Someone had mentioned Gage

I'm predicting 2-4 wins this season, 1-3 the following.   JD fired after this year, Saleh the next.  Cheers.

I’m going to expand on this because I agree, only I will add that because we’re so insistent on forcing Saleh on the new GM we’ll end up with another half rate useless GM that was desperately willing to take the job with a sh*tty HC forced on him. That GM will go onto draft 12 guys that won’t be in the league in 3 years (again).

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

I'm predicting 2-4 wins this season, 1-3 the following.   JD fired after this year, Saleh the next.  Cheers.

I’m going to expand on this because I agree, only I will add that because we’re so insistent on forcing Saleh on the new GM we’ll end up with another half rate useless GM that was desperately willing to take the job with a sh*tty HC forced on him. That GM will go onto draft 12 guys that won’t be in the league in 3 years (again).

• Post of the Week 1

Snell ... you are adamant ... I'd wager we win 8 minimum this year.

18 hours ago, STLuLu said:

Seems like the strategy is keep drafting linebackers and DB’s

Snell ... you are adamant ... I'd wager we win 8 minimum this year.

How do you not see this rodeo repeating itself again? We have another QB who has major deficiencies, performed as one of the worst starters in the league (if not the worst), a LT prospect that can’t get on the field because he’s undisciplined and easily injured, a 2nd round WR that couldn’t even get on the field when healthy, another 2nd round receiver that can’t stay on the field, a FA WR that has a 50/50 chance on the ball bouncing off his face……. I mean for **** sakes George Fant and AVT are pretty much the only bright spots on the team. And we sit here acting like the draft is gonna save us?

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

How do you not see this rodeo repeating itself again? We have another QB who has major deficiencies, performed as one of the worst starters in the league (if not the worst), a LT prospect that can’t get on the field because he’s undisciplined and easily injured, a 2nd round WR that couldn’t even get on the field when healthy, another 2nd round receiver that can’t stay on the field, a FA WR that has a 50/50 chance on the ball bouncing off his face……. I mean for **** sakes George Fant and AVT are pretty much the only bright spots on the team. And we sit here acting like the draft is gonna save us?

Let's see what happens this week.

On 3/12/2022 at 3:51 PM, kmnj said:

His first draft was historically bad and now they are on record that Becton is on shaky ground as well.

I kind of stopped here and the ridiculous use of historically bad 

12 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Got to get even more play out of that Mims card.  It so means everything that we probably missed on a draft pick.  It never happens to the best, the best hit on every single draft pick.

You'd be crying about a wasted 2nd at a SB parade

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And you'd be defending our players and coaches if we went 0-16 ten years in a row, lol.

I mean seriously Nut, you couldn't (or wouldn't) name even a SINGLE Defensive player to replace on the worst Defense in Franchise history.

If you can't find a single starting player to upgrade on a Defense that level of bad, you might just be a Homer...

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

This team was crippled from Mac's contracts and draft picks. Douglas should have 2 more years IMO. This year is all in on Wilson. If he improves then we join the arms race in 2023. If Wilson under performs then we have a QB competition.

By the end of 2023 we will evaluate everything, did Joe's other draft picks succeed? Is that enough to justify Douglas bringing in another QB? Is the team playing hard for Saleh? 

I would think we should have a good handle on this team after 2023 season. 

Agree. So far JD is doing what he said he'd do. I'm excited to see what the new roster looks like. It is totally fair to expect significant improvement.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Got to get even more play out of that Mims card.  It so means everything that we probably missed on a draft pick.  It never happens to the best, the best hit on every single draft pick.

Well yeah it’s true every team whiffs on picks, and teams like KC have swung & missed on most WR picks, too, suggesting they just got stupidly-lucky on Hill: Conley #76, Robinson #126, Hill #165, Hardman #56, Powell #181. They deemed Kevin Hogan a more important player to draft in round 5, just ahead of Hill. 

Honestly few would care as much about the Mims pick if he’d hit on any of the next 5 picks he made in rounds 3 and 4.

It’s a legitimate criticism. As a GM if you’ve identified a position as one in which you simply must find a starter for the upcoming season, and the talent pool is there in that draft class, you don’t trade down and then make that the only one you take; you trade up, make the pick at your original slot, or you take a second swing at the plate with one of your additionally-acquired picks. Because for all those whiffs KC made, the best one they’ve found in a decade or more came only because they took a 2nd WR in the same draft when the first one wasn’t a truly top prospect. 

To do otherwise is to be so arrogant as to think each of his draft picks outside the top 40-ish will 100% pan out, and that’s the only real reason to take just 1 at each position. 

If you must find a WR, you either draft one as early as you can (without reaching) or you draft two of them. Maybe even three, if you’re repeatedly trading down to hoard picks (e.g. Enunwa was easily the best of the 3 Idzik took that year). Odds are your first pick will be the best one, but once you’re past the top 10-20 (or even top 40) that gets harder to predict, so you take more than one swing at the plate if it’s a real need position and the first one taken wasn’t just a pure BAP pick himself. Top WRs are out there past round 1 and the very top of round 2. If you’ve eliminated them as an option because you’ve decided it’s time to draft a RB or a backup QB or whatever’s on your checklist, then you’re going to miss all of them. 

In round 1 I’m fine with drafting for position (so long as the pick slot isn’t a major reach for that position). After round 2 - and certainly by any day 3 pick, depending on the class strength - he should be drafting more or less pure BAP since it’s hard enough to find good/great players that low in any class. To do otherwise is to be just flat-out arrogant. 

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And you'd be defending our players and coaches if we went 0-16 ten years in a row, lol.

I mean seriously Nut, you couldn't (or wouldn't) name even a SINGLE Defensive player to replace on the worst Defense in Franchise history.

If you can't find a single starting player to upgrade on a Defense that level of bad, you might just be a Homer...

Except 2012 would be totally irrelevant at a SB parade and because I didn’t defend the 2012 draft.

As for the second part when and where did I say I couldn’t find a player on\ last years defense that could be upgraded?  A simple copy and paste would work.  And how you turned my comment that Quincy Williams should be resigned, which disagreed with and now have twisted it around.  That makes me a homer in your mind, so be it.  
That because I don’t agree with your take which is the defense sucked so no one should be retained, which is totally ridiculous given players like Hall, Echols, both QWs, and other depth players should and will be retained, not quite your take.  You need to realize that before calling someone a homer for disagreeing with you

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Except 2012 would be totally irrelevant at a SB parade and because I didn’t defend the 2012 draft.

As for the second part when and where did I say I couldn’t find a player on\ last years defense that could be upgraded?  A simple copy and paste would work.  And how you turned my comment that Quincy Williams should be resigned into this take.  That makes me a homer so be it.  
That and I don’t agree with your take which is the defense sucked so no one should be retained, which is totally ridiculous given players like Hall, Echols, both QWs, and other depth players.  You need to understand that before calling someone a homer 

Let's not rehash the past, lets just do it here and now>>>>  Go ahead a name a 2021 Defensive starter than you feel should be replaced with an upgrade.

It's an easy and straightforward question.  Surely the worst Defense in Franchise history is not staffed with 11 players impossible to upgrade, is it?

So who is your cut Nut?

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well yeah it’s true every team whiffs on picks, and teams like KC have swung & missed on most WR picks, too, suggesting they just got stupidly-lucky on Hill: Conley #76, Robinson #126, Hill #165, Hardman #56, Powell #181. They deemed Kevin Hogan a more important player to draft in round 5, just ahead of Hill. 

Honestly few would care as much about the Mims pick if he’d hit on any of the next 5 picks he made in rounds 3 and 4.

It’s a legitimate criticism. As a GM if you’ve identified a position as one in which you simply must find a starter for the upcoming season, and the talent pool is there in that draft class, you don’t trade down and then make that the only one you take; you trade up, make the pick at your original slot, or you take a second swing at the plate with one of your additionally-acquired picks. Because for all those whiffs KC made, the best one they’ve found in a decade or more came only because they took a 2nd WR in the same draft when the first one wasn’t a truly top prospect. 

To do otherwise is to be so arrogant as to think each of his draft picks outside the top 40-ish will 100% pan out, and that’s the only real reason to take just 1 at each position. 

If you must find a WR, you either draft one as early as you can (without reaching) or you draft two of them. Maybe even three, if you’re repeatedly trading down to hoard picks (e.g. Enunwa was easily the best of the 3 Idzik took that year). Odds are your first pick will be the best one, but once you’re past the top 10-20 (or even top 40) that gets harder to predict, so you take more than one swing at the plate if it’s a real need position and the first one taken wasn’t just a pure BAP pick himself. Top WRs are out there past round 1 and the very top of round 2. If you’ve eliminated them as an option because you’ve decided it’s time to draft a RB or a backup QB or whatever’s on your checklist, then you’re going to miss all of them. 

In round 1 I’m fine with drafting for position (so long as the pick slot isn’t a major reach for that position). After round 2 - and certainly by any day 3 pick, depending on the class strength - he should be drafting more or less pure BAP since it’s hard enough to find good/great players that low in any class. To do otherwise is to be just flat-out arrogant. 

The 2020 draft sucked.  I totally agree and don’t challenge that.  But to keep whining about Mims is pretty lame and pointless when pretty everyone, including me knows how bad he’s been.  As we both have said everyone whiffs on picks, it how many you whiff on not harping on one player as if it wipes out 2021s draft or every move JD makes moving forward.

‘The other part is pretty much everyone on the board was lauding the pick and the circumstances that led to his being picked so just move on 

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Let's not rehash the past, lets just do it here and now>>>>  Go ahead a name a 2021 Defensive starter than you feel should be replaced with an upgrade.

It's an easy and straightforward question.  Surely the worst Defense in Franchise history is not staffed with 11 players impossible to upgrade, is it?

So who is your cut Nut?

Yeah cut Hall and the Williams’ because the two starting Ss were lost, the EDGE snapped an Achilles, starting LBs we’re out

Of course some of the players forced to start won’t start again when the missing players return or the their position is upgraded through the draft, FA or trade. Again, where did I say every player should return as a starter?  You think I don’t know Rankins, Maye, Phillips, Davis, Shaq, Neasman, Blair , etc need to go?  All because I think both Willams’, B Hall, and a few others should be kept as starters for depth.  

That’s the easy and very straight forward part of this nonsense.  You want to argue that the defense sucked Bryce Hall has to go, go for it

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I kind of stopped here and the ridiculous use of historically bad 

so who is good in his draft-

becton-he wont be here after this year-fat slow lazy and cant stay on the field-coach is already on record stating job is not his

mims-beyond terrible

Davis-he sucks-not a starting caliber player

Zuniga- awful pick

Perine-terrible does not play

Morgan-ahh yes we could have had g davis but got a qb nobody with a brain expected to ever play for us

Clark- most would say who?

Hall-good player -good pick

Mann-we talking punters ? punters?

the above my friend is right up there with the worst draft ever for the jets-only hope is becton stops eating , starts working and gets on the field-if becton sucks this year( I think he will and will be gone by the end of the year) Joe is right up there with worst draft ever to go with his record as a gm which is right there in the terrible category as well

• Post of the Week 3

As far as critizing Douglas for his draft picking.  I don't think he has done anything to suggest he is good or bad at it.  I think he knows he isn't a special drafter which is why he has tried to collect more draft capital.  I respect that.  It shows that at least he's dealing in reality and has a plan.  Even though the plan is obvious and exactly how the league is structured to work.  

You don't build NFL teams by believing you can out draft your competitors.  You build by having more capital when your roster sucks.  Douglas has done that.  He traded Adams and Darnold.  He sacrificed roster for cap space.  We have lots of draft picks and cap space.  It's not smart or different it's what virtually every NFL team that sucks does.  It's not Douglas's plan it's baked into the design of the NFL Draft and Salary Cap.

Thank you NFL owners for sharing revenue and setting up a league that maxes out your revenue at the expense of teams that actually draft above the mean and develope talent. 

The fix is in.  The Jets will not suck if Douglas follows the plan that the league has layed out for him.  If he tries to be cute or outthink it he will be fired.  If he picked a rookie HC to develop his QB and he's not up to it see you later. 

32 minutes ago, kmnj said:

becton-he wont be here after this year-fat slow lazy and cant stay on the field-coach is already on record stating job is not his

mims-beyond terrible

Zuniga- awful pick

Morgan-ahh yes we could have had g davis but got a qb nobody with a brain expected to ever play for us

the above my friend is right up there with the worst draft ever for the jets-only hope is becton stops eating , starts working and gets on the field-if becton sucks this year( I think he will and will be gone by the end of the year) Joe is right up there with worst draft ever to go with his record as a gm which is right there in the terrible category as well

The clownish constant whine that Becton Is fat, slow lol, lazy and won’t be avJet beyond this year says it all. He’ll be gone, didn’t play well on the field is a dumb take to repeat 

You need to look back at drafts like drafting 2 two OL in the first and second round and Haite being cut in camp, the Dorian Boose draft,  the Rodger Vick draft, the Blair Thomas draft, the Nagle draft of 12 players and only MomLewis being a player, the Johnny Mitch draft, all much worse, should I keep going

The 2020 draft wasn’t good.  The 2021 was but you can’t stop whining about 2020 and keep trying to make it worse than it was

On 3/12/2022 at 4:54 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Another team that in 2 years will be irrelevant for the next 15.  

Jet fans really are going to have no clue how to handle the sustained winning that is coming our way very shortly.

Dude, 

Come on. 1969. Some of us are a little long in the tooth.

I will take a SB and 15 years of sucking any day. 

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

mims-beyond terrible

Zuniga- awful pick

Wait, it's all Adam Gase's fault. He forced JD into picking those terrible players, or so I've read many many times.