Johnny Damon has shoulder Tendenitis

Mavrik

TAMPA, Fla. -- Johnny Damon has tendinitis in his throwing shoulder, and the New York Yankees star will not be available to play the outfield for the United States on Thursday night against Mexico in the World Baseball Classic.

The Yankees sent Damon to be examined by Dr. Lewis Yocum in California on Tuesday, and the speedy leadoff man was cleared to pinch-run for the U.S. squad if needed. Whether Damon can hit will be determined before Thursday's game, but he will not play in the field.

"I spoke to Johnny yesterday," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Wednesday. "He's not worried. He just needs to get it calmed down, so that's why he's not a defensive player for them right now."

Damon had an MRI exam. His sore left shoulder is the same one that hindered him late last year with Boston and weakened an already inferior throwing arm.

Cashman said the injury flared up while New York's biggest acquisition of the offseason was working out with the U.S. team.

"It happened there," Cashman said. "Right now, he's OK to stay out there and try and help the U.S. team obviously in a limited way now."

There is no timetable for when Damon will resume defensive drills. Cashman plans to speak with Yocum again before Thursday's WBC game.

"I don't have a final report yet. I'll have one before Thursday's game," Cashman said.

Cashman said right now he's not worried about Damon's status for Opening Day.

"This is something that should calm down and should be able to get out of the way in time for our season to start based on what I have been told by Dr. Yocum," Cashman said.

Damon, who signed a $52 million, four-year contract with the Yankees during the offseason, has played in four of the Americans' five games in the inaugural WBC, going 1-for-7. He sat out a 7-3 loss to South Korea Monday night and was a pinch-hitter in the 4-3 victory over Japan on Sunday.

His ailment is exactly the kind of issue New York owner George Steinbrenner was referring to when he spoke out against the Classic.

"I'm not concerned about him based on the fact he pinch-hit the other day, plus the fact Cash talked to him," Yankees manager Joe Torre said, referring to Damon. "Hopefully, it appears to be in the spring training-type feeling.

"To me, Johnny knows what's important. They want to win there, but he knows that he has to get himself right to help whichever club he's playing for. He knows that they're playing the Classic, but it's still a time when you get yourself in shape and you have to look out for yourself."

could this mean the return of Melkey Cabrera?

I really liked Cabrera but others didn't...Bubba Crosby is just as good defensively as Damon is it's Damon's hitting and leadoff skills that mean more to us, not his OF play because Crosby could do the same thing he does.

btw - Damon was also asked if he had contemplated have shoulder surgey this off-season but said that the Red Sox Medical staff stated it was not necessary.

that makes you feel real confident about Curt Schilling and Keith Foulke playing next season, doesnt it? heh

that makes you feel real confident about Curt Schilling and Keith Foulke playing next season, doesnt it? heh

Actually, the way I read that is that the Sox knew damn well they were not going to resign him. Foulke should be fine this year. And besides they WANTED him to have surgery lastyear, Foulke said no. Schilling was in no-mans land. I think most folk knew he'd be in for a tough time considering how badly he got hurt in the World Series Championship year of 2004.

This is nothing new here folks. Damon has a had a bad shoulder for a long time and his health deteriorated quickly lastyear. For me this is just another sign that his best days have gone. Now don't get me wrong, he was a warrior and played hard and hurt for the Boston faithful as much as he could. That was why he was so popular and why I loved him playing in Boston. But that hard play has taken its toll. He relied on cortisone to get him through lastyear and he relied on it a lot. That stuff is not Tums. You can't take it as needed. The yanks have to be gripping a wee bit here.

I'm not confident in Foulk's abilities at all this season. I saw a clip where it was revealed that he is having synthetic joint "fluid" injections in his knees. Why? Because the idiot did not want to have surgery. So no, I am not counting on Keith Foulk.

Foulke doesn't worry me as the depth of our bullpen goes so far that a young dominant pitcher like Craig Hansen could come up if needed, or a real successful last season Jonathon Pabelbon could step into the set-up role for Timlin. Foulke walks after this season anyway.

Foulke doesn't worry me as the depth of our bullpen goes so far that a young dominant pitcher like Craig Hansen could come up if needed, or a real successful last season Jonathon Pabelbon could step into the set-up role for Timlin. Foulke walks after this season anyway.

Hansen should be fine, but to call him dominant......uhhh..............maybe it's a little early for that, based on his Major League body of work so far?:confused:

Hansen should be fine, but to call him dominant......uhhh..............maybe it's a little early for that, based on his Major League body of work so far?:confused:

Well, so far this spring he has pitched 6 innings and only given up two hits. Last season he only pitched in four games, but every indication from spring and the minor leagues last season says he will be a very dominant pitcher.

Well, so far this spring he has pitched 6 innings and only given up two hits. Last season he only pitched in four games, but every indication from spring and the minor leagues last season says he will be a very dominant pitcher.

Not to rain on your parade, but most team's top major league talent are currently playing in the WBC. I'd wait till he gets a full season under his belt before you label a guy "dominant". There are a ton of prospects who are great spring players, but once the season starts, flounder.

Archived