Would you consider trading for DeShaun Watson if you were Douglas?

No idea if ownership would allow him to bring Watson in, but if I was JD and my job was on the line I would think long and hard about it. The Jets have the cap space and draft capital to pull this off. 

Listen, I like Zach and am obviously rooting for him, but a bird in the hand is better than a bird in the bush. Watson is a legit top 5 QB. Zach is a question mark who is coming off of a substandard rookie year. 

If the Jets deal for Watson and Houston doesn’t want Wilson they can still likely get a first round pick for him given how many QB needy teams there are this year. 

If Wilson strikes out next year everyone is getting fired and his value is a mid round pick at most. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5

1 minute ago, ArchieBunker said:

No idea if ownership would allow him to bring Watson in, but if I was JD and my job was on the line I would think long and hard about it. The Jets have the cap space and draft capital to pull this off. 

Listen, I like Zach and am obviously rooting for him, but a bird in the hand is better than a bird in the bush. Watson is a legit top 5 QB. Zach is a question mark who is coming off of a substandard rookie year. 

If the Jets deal for Watson and Houston doesn’t want Wilson they can still likely get a first round pick for him given how many QB needy teams there are this year. 

If Wilson strikes out next year everyone is getting fired and his value is a mid round pick at most. 

I question whether the Jets have the cap space to do this. It would be almost a $30mm cap hit to trade Wilson and Watsons contract counts over $40mm against the cap in 2022. 

We have $48.5mm in space right now. We couldn't even afford Watson plus signing our draft class let alone the cap hit trading Wilson would trigger.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

If he did it how do you fill the rest of the holes on this team? Your high draft capital is gone for 2022 and your ability to spend is now reduced.

you would have an upgrade at qb but the rest of the team is still suspect.

I just don’t think he is a fit here

• Sympathy 1

I personally would never trade, sign or put under any form of contract a person that will not live up to there side of the contract, or in layman's terms, will flat out tell you they are not going to work because they are butt hurt.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I question whether the Jets have the cap space to do this. It would be almost a $30mm cap hit to trade Wilson and Watsons contract counts over $40mm against the cap in 2022. 

We have $48.5mm in space right now. We couldn't even afford Watson plus signing our draft class let alone the cap hit trading Wilson would trigger.

Not saying I want Watson at this point, but  the Saints who are about three billion over the cap made Houston a trade offer.  Its weird how the Jets seem to be among the few teams that pretends the cap is an issue to improving their team

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, ArchieBunker said:

No....Next question

• Upvote 2

Not worth it unless they'd take a below market deal.  This isn't a win-now Jets team that can compete for a SB even with Watson.  And, the pieces the Jets would still need on offense and especially defense would be hard to get with all the Draft capital being sent to Houston in the trade.

Just out of curiosity, what would people consider trading?  I'd guess it would be something like the #4 and #10, or the #4, #35, a 1st next year and maybe Wilson?

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, hawk said:

I personally would never trade, sign or put under any form of contract a person that will not live up to there side of the contract, or in layman's terms, will flat out tell you they are not going to work because they are butt hurt.

Hey, that's not Deshaun's fault. He tried to get it massaged out, but for some reason that made the women uncomfortable.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

Will get booed mercilessly and be a huge distraction.  Sponsorship will bail. 

Watched the immediate reaction to the dismissal announcement on ESPN. Schefter comes on, gives a thirty second recap about what happened, sounded appropriately morose. The moderator/host then immediately asks Schefter, “so what does the trade market look like for him now?” Schefter gleefully answers Panthers-Eagles, etc. Moderator-host swings it over to Damien Woody and asks him, “Big Wood! Where would YOU like to see him end up?,” to which Woody answers, “Seattle!” Whatever teams trades for him, their fans will be excited, the local coverage will be mostly favorable, and somewhere down the line, news outlets will assign one of their female reporters a piece scolding the NFL for harboring these types of people. No one will read those pieces. 

• Upvote 2