face it, the draft is our only exit strategy

Phillyjet

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:
4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:
The biggest reason for no FA signings is
200.gif

My money is on him doing this the right way ... have you seen what he did with our dead money situation ?

Actually I didn't  know we were in cap Hell before he got here but when you don't  spend...

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:
6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:
The biggest reason for no FA signings is
200.gif

My money is on him doing this the right way ... have you seen what he did with our dead money situation ?

Look, I'm with you.  I think he's done a nice job so far - and yes, we have virtually no dead money this year and I believe even less next year...

But...at some point he has to add talent - it's not enough to be able to clear sh*t up.  

Not saying it has to be now, but it does need to be soon.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Look, I'm with you.  I think he's done a nice job so far - and yes, we have virtually no dead money this year and I believe even less next year...

But...at some point he has to add talent - it's not enough to be able to clear sh*t up.  

I never thought the Jets would kill my interest in them like the Knicks did but it's happening.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

As stated by many the fortunes of this franchise rest squarely on Zach. We need him to become the next Burrow, Herbert, Allen etc etc. when that happens the Jets will be an attractive landing spot for top tier free agents  Right now we can’t compete with the upper echelon teams in terms of luring talent. JD has got to hit on 75% of this years draft. Not just depth players needs true impact players 

Say what you want about other teams rebuilding with FA, the only teams relevant to us are the ones that rebuilt with the draft and the no-name players. I'm done listening to arguments involving the Rams, because they have nothing to do with the Jets in terms of what their past 10 years are like. If you want a better comparison, look at the Bengals, who drafted their best players and got lucky with some signings. Look at teams like that who have actually sucked like the Jets.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Say what you want about other teams rebuilding with FA, the only teams relevant to us are the ones that rebuilt with the draft and the no-name players. I'm done listening to arguments involving the Rams, because they have nothing to do with the Jets in terms of what their past 10 years are like. If you want a better comparison, look at the Bengals, who drafted their best players and got lucky with some signings. Look at teams like that who have actually sucked like the Jets.

I look at the Bengals, who (like us) were an absolutely dreadful team for years but who (not like us) turned it around in 2 years while we’re being told to wait patiently through the process for a few more years. What’ll be the excuse in a few years, same as the current excuse I suppose..

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The Cooper one was worth discussing, as I think the best shot for him is to use a trade with a team in cap-hell to get to the front of the line.  We can argue if Cooper was worth it, but it fit the mold.  Basically a one-year deal, draft a WR and develop, and you have a solid receiving core.  Danielle Hunter is similar.  Davante Adams is worth watching, as the QB gets paid, and he gets a 1-year contract.  Word is he's pissed.  That's a trade worth exploring with one of our 1st round picks.  GB can draft a Garrett Wilson, and we take Davante Adams and sign him to a new contract.

Those are the type of deals I think can make the most impact on the Jets, rather than spending wildly on an Allen Robinson to outbid the market while he is in decline.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, CSNY said:

As stated by many the fortunes of this franchise rest squarely on Zach. We need him to become the next Burrow, Herbert, Allen etc etc. when that happens the Jets will be an attractive landing spot for top tier free agents  Right now we can’t compete with the upper echelon teams in terms of luring talent. JD has got to hit on 75% of this years draft. Not just depth players needs true impact players 

While I agree, when all's said and done - it's going to come to does Zach Wilson develop into a true FQB.  

Look at Burrow, Herbert and Allen - I'm NOT saying Wilson is those guys - just that they all have legitimate NFL weapons surrounding them.  The Jets have none.  

If they want to give him the best chance to develop into one of those guys they need to help him out and bring in good players.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Every year you see the types of players available in FA, and the players who get franchised or extended.  

The good teams draft at the bottom of the rounds and need to pay their impact players-WR, Edge, QB, LT.  So they let S, CB, G walk and draft them at the bottom of the rounds.  

For teams like the Jets who are picking higher-they need to draft the impact players, by hook or crook.  It does not matter if they are “lower graded” than the G.  

So this build looks pretty easy.  At 4 pick the best EDGE or WR.  At 10 pick the best EDGE or WR.  Maybe Sauce makes sense.  Find a G, S, and TE2 in FA.  

This 2020 draft set the Jets back 2 years, but I agree.  Top FAs will not to come here until we win.  Its not worth the weather and the taxes.   So offer guys like M. Williams, Tomlinson, Carlton Davis, Hayden Hurst, even Moses, 5% more than market, and see if we can bring them in.  Get as many draft picks as possible and hit on them.  Try to spend to the cap on foundation players, but if we can’t roll to next year.  

Berrios is not coming here when he can have a homecoming in Miami, presumably making top dollar, state tax free, hanging out with his girlfriend.  Berrios going to Miami costs us at least 1 win next year.  Just stupid not to have extended him 6 months ago.  

We should expect slow progress.  Zach playing better, and 6 wins, would be progress.  

• Upvote 2

Elite FA WR's don't want to play with Zach Wilson or the Jets. 

They'd prefer top-10-right-now QB's, not worst-in-NFL-maybe-they'll-get-better-maybe-they-won't guys like Wilson.

You have to have certain pieces to get FA's.  We don't have them right now.  Not yet.  Zach could change that in 2022.

• Upvote 1

Lmaoooo “we are building thorough the draft”

Question how tf are we building though the draft when we have a GM who is not able to draft a impact player? Sorry to burst the bubble but the JAGs JD brings in here are not going to cutt it.

Jet fans overrate the unproven and call the ones questioning this logic irrational and crazy… lmaooo

“Elijah mOoRe wILl sAvE uS” —- LMFAOO the kid can’t even stay on the f’******* field 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Elite FA WR's don't want to play with Zach Wilson or the Jets. 

They'd prefer top-10-right-now QB's, not worst-in-NFL-maybe-they'll-get-better-maybe-they-won't guys like Wilson.

You have to have certain pieces to get FA's.  We don't have them right now.  Not yet.  Zach could change that in 2022.

This.  If wilson improves and douglas nails this draft, getting good FAs will be easier. 

• Upvote 1

I am having a tough time understanding drafts that pick guys like Becton over Justin Jefferson.

The draft pick that gets the most additional wins in 2022-2024 at 4 is Garrett Wilson.  We ain’t getting another WR any other way.  In this draft with its depth, there will be an EDGE or Sauce at 10.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Lmaoooo “we are building thorough the draft”

Question how tf are we building though the draft when we have a GM who is not able to draft a impact player? Sorry to burst the bubble but the JAGs JD brings in here are not going to cutt it.

Jet fans overrate the unproven and call the ones questioning this logic irrational and crazy… lmaooo

“Elijah mOoRe wILl sAvE uS” —- LMFAOO the kid can’t even stay on the f’******* field 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I think the Jets need to make an effort to go heavy on offense in this draft. Receivers, backs, tight ends- players who can score touchdowns. The only way the rebuild will look like it’s working is if the offense is functional. Those talking about drafting DB’s in round 1 or Douglas actually considering it is why the Jets will remain bad. Edge rusher would be the only exception. The Jets have next to nothing at receiver or running back. Invest in the positions for once. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

While I agree, when all's said and done - it's going to come to does Zach Wilson develop into a true FQB.  

Look at Burrow, Herbert and Allen - I'm NOT saying Wilson is those guys - just that they all have legitimate NFL weapons surrounding them.  The Jets have none.  

If they want to give him the best chance to develop into one of those guys they need to help him out and bring in good players.

IMO, when you have a very young QB, you need some experienced WRs. I don't believe that a good drafted WR can help Zach as quickly as a good WR with NFL experience. Just my opinion!

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

We’ve handed out bad contracts in the past therefore the problem is handing out contracts.

This ******* place.

we hand out bad contracts because we pay a "Jets" tax.  That's the point.

11 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

IMO, when you have a very young QB, you need some experienced WRs. I don't believe that a good drafted WR can help Zach as quickly as a good WR with NFL experience. Just my opinion!

Completely agree - which is why I wanted Cooper. 

With that said, bringing in more Cole type JAG vets isn't going to help either.  The Cooper ship has sailed but a guy like Robinson is still out there.  Robinson and a WR in the top 38 to develop would be the way I would like to see this play out.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

JD's first draft looks epicly bad.  If you want to build through the draft you can't whiff on your first 6 picks.

Good job ignoring his second draft that looks really good. It's much easier to make your point when you leave out facts that don't suit your argument. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

So you think the Bengals made a mistake taking Chase and letting AJ Green go? Their top 2 WRs were a rookie and a 2nd year player. 

This isn't 1986. Rookie WRs make impacts. And not just a freak like Chase. Waddle/Elijah moore/Smith/Metcalf/Justin Jefferson/Amon Ra St Brown/Ceedee/Higgins/Mclaurin. All played better as rookies than all the big name Vet FA from last year class (Golladay/Corey Davis/Fuller/juju etc..) 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

At some point JD needs some of his draft picks to play above their draft position.   They need a “George Kittle” or a “Richard Sherman” type player to emerge, and thus far there doesn’t seem to be those guys.  To make it worse, some of the higher drafted players aren’t playing up to their draft position.   It’s been said before, but this is the year JD NEEDS to acquire some impact players.  He hasn’t done a great job of getting this thing off the ground.   

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1