2022 Jets FA signings (Merged)

12 hours ago, jetblue95 said:

disappeared?

against LV - he had 6 catches for 64 yards and a TD

against Tenn - he had 8 catches for 71 yards

he sprained his MCL in the 1st quarter against KC and shocked most people by even suiting up in the SB, where he chipped in with a couple of catches.

he's a solid addition given the FA class and all the other TEs who were tagged or otherwise signed.  and he played on a team with chase, higgins and boyd, so cincy had plenty of other options, which needs to be accounted for in his counting stats.  jets could only pray they had a WR1-3 like cincy.

given the insane contracts being handed out, he's a solid addition.  

I agree with this. He is probably the best FA signing we could have made with all things considered. He will be the first TE we have had in a while that has RAC ability. The guy isn't  going to be confused with Kelce but this is definitely  an upgrade. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

This will be a very underrated signing. He was good in Cincy

Pretty mundane TE production. 

2021 was far and away his career year, with 493 yards and 5 TD's. but in his 7 year career he's only come remotely close to that level once before (in 2018, 439/3).  Most years he's been a sub-250/1 type guy.

He would project here as what, an average of 20 catches for 250-300 yards and 1-2 TD, give or take, based on his career-to-date and the quality of our QB play?

Seems about equivalent to a slightly-better-Ryan Griffin, production wise.  

What am I missing here?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, maury77 said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-free-agency-rankings-tight-ends

He was PFF's 9th rated availalble FA TE. I agree he's an upgrade, but I think huge is a stretch. He had decent numbers last year, but that was with Burrow throwing to him and he was probably the 5th option on offense behind Chase, Higgins, Boyd and Mixon. 

That's pretty misleading when Schultz/Gesecki/Gronk/Njoku/Ertz are on that list ahead of Uzomah and none were really free agents. The others like Engram/Everett had relatively equal PFF scores. 

Regardless, one of the main goals this offseason was to improve our TE unit which was awful. It is now significantly more productive. 

Did you  have a better plan for TE this offseason? Was there a player you wanted (higher on that PFF list) that you feel would be markedly better than Uzomah? 

• Upvote 1

I don't view the questions being posed as criticism of CJ. There are some of us that are dissatisfied with the receiving numbers put up by CJ but those people don't understand the position. What they want is the production that comes out of a Split-End rather than a Tight-End. CJ is the Traditional Blocking Tight-End that is good for a handful Pass Receptions.

Just now, WestCoastMole said:

I don't view the questions being posed as criticism of CJ. There are some of us that are dissatisfied with the receiving numbers put up by CJ but those people don't understand the position. What they want is the production that comes out of a Split-End rather than a Tight-End. CJ is the Traditional Blocking Tight-End that is good for a handful Pass Receptions.

If Laken is a great run blocker (as advertised) and Uzomah is a good run blocker, that will probably really upgrade our running game.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If Laken is a great run blocker (as advertised) and Uzomah is a good run blocker, that will probably really upgrade our running game.  

That's why I'm looking for the Jets to Draft a Bruiser Back like Tyler Algeier to take some of the load off of Michael Carter.

21 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Regardless, one of the main goals this offseason was to improve our TE unit which was awful. It is now significantly more productive

Um, define "significantly"?

Uzomah is a 35 catch, 342 Yard, 2.7 TD a Year guy.

Griffin was a 29 catch, 308 Yard, 2.0 TD a Year guy.

Is 6 catches, 34 yards and 0.7 TD a year a "significant" upgrade in productivity?

Looks to me, on the average, like pretty much the same player production-wise, with Uzo a slight upgrade. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Um, define "significantly"?

Uzomah is a 35 catch, 342 Yard, 2.7 TD a Year guy.

Griffin was a 29 catch, 308 Yard, 2.0 TD a Year guy.

Is 6 catches, 34 yards and 0.7 TD a year a "significant" upgrade in productivity?

Looks to me, on the average, like pretty much the same player production-wise, with Uzo a slight upgrade. 

Uzo does more "dirty" work than Griffin. His career is also on an ascending arc, rather than a flat trajectory. Give the kid credit, he has made something of himself.

Watching a bit of the Bengals as they were an interesting watch this year, Uzo did a lot of squaring his body to the QB and gave his qb a target. He did a lot of dig type routes in the middle where he could be the "bail out" on a pass play when other options were not there. That could be huge for a guy like Zach. A security blanket. Also, his yards after the catch were hard earned. He was tough to take down.

While I did not see as much of this, his blocking supposedly helped a poor line.  

As already mentioned by @T0mShane, he is a good locker room guy

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Uzo does more "dirty" work than Griffin. His career is also on an ascending arc, rather than a flat trajectory. Give the kid credit, he has made something of himself.

Watching a bit of the Bengals as they were an interesting watch this year, Uzo did a lot of squaring his body to the QB and gave his qb a target. He did a lot of dig type routes in the middle where he could be the "bail out" on a pass play when other options were not there. That could be huge for a guy like Zach. A security blanket. Also, his yards after the catch were hard earned. He was tough to take down.

While I did not see as much of this, his blocking supposedly helped a poor line.  

As already mentioned by @T0mShane, he is a good locker room guy

Yup, blocking is certainly a form of "production" that stats don't really track, understood.  If he's a huge blocking upgrade over Griffin, that's a good thing.  

Just looking in the aggregate, he doesn't not appear to be a meaningful pass-catching upgrade.  Doesn't mean he won't be, maybe he will.

But he was what I posted above with  better QB's than Wilson, and in better Offenses.  And he's been very up and down (two solid years, the rest, meh).

Not writing him off, but I wouldn't consider TE sorted out based on this signing.  He's more a 2nd tier guy that a true answer from the looks of things.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yup, blocking is certainly a form of "production" that stats don't really track, understood.  If he's a huge blocking upgrade over Griffin, that's a good thing.  

Just looking in the aggregate, he doesn't not appear to be a meaningful pass-catching upgrade.  Doesn't mean he won't be, maybe he will.

But he was what I posted above with  better QB's than Wilson, and in better Offenses.  And he's been very up and down (two solid years, the rest, meh).

Not writing him off, but I wouldn't consider TE sorted out based on this signing.  He's more a 2nd tier guy that a true answer from the looks of things.

I believe the expectation that they will be doing more for the position as well. But Uzo is definitely an upgrade over what they had in my opinion. 

• Upvote 2

once again UZO benefitted from having 3 stud wrs in cincy-he does not have that here -he will be avg at best here but sadly avg is better than what we have now

joe fanboys pump up every signing Joe makes but joe is terrible as shown by his actual record on the field-until his team wins actual games the rest of your hype means nothing

• Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 3

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Agree with this for the most part.  Top level of the second tier.  However, that is very much sufficient.  Not every team has the luxury of an elite tight end, but every team needs a decent tight end where as the Jets have not had much of any tight end.  

There is also the eye test.  Not only is he a much better blocker than any TE on the roster, the eye test also suggests he is a very nice rout runner and pass catcher.  He's very aggressive to the ball.  

It will come down to scheme/function.  The ability to make a substantial contribution is there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Pretty mundane TE production. 

2021 was far and away his career year, with 493 yards and 5 TD's. but in his 7 year career he's only come remotely close to that level once before (in 2018, 439/3).  Most years he's been a sub-250/1 type guy.

He would project here as what, an average of 20 catches for 250-300 yards and 1-2 TD, give or take, based on his career-to-date and the quality of our QB play?

Seems about equivalent to a slightly-better-Ryan Griffin, production wise.  

What am I missing here?

Maybe Zach Wilson isn't here after this year.  If he gets upgraded protection and targets AND still sucks, then he will be replaced.

24 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I believe the expectation that they will be doing more for the position as well. But Uzo is definitely an upgrade over what they had in my opinion. 

I hope so, that would be great.  Just not seeing any real evidence of it in the facts. 

Getting alot of "well, the eye test" type replies, which says alot. 

Our Fans think he'll be a big upgrade, but aren't really pointing to how beyond intangibles and unmeasurables, lol.  

Guess we'll see.  I hope you all are right.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fantasy Island said:

Maybe Zach Wilson isn't here after this year.  If he gets upgraded protection and targets AND still sucks, then he will be replaced.

I agree with this.  The Jets may "ROSEN" him if he does not play good and with regularity.  Forget about looking for "flashes" of talent.  That is a rookie year consolation.  He has to show up early and often as much improved.  If we still see a struggling QB week to week this coming season, it will be time to start planning ahead with respect to franchise QB. 

• Upvote 1

Former Niner.  Started 14 games for Seattle last year.   Really good unbers in coverage last two years.  Passer rating aginst of 75.9 and 67.8

Games Pass Coverage Pass Rush Tackles
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Tgt Cmp Cmp% Yds Yds/Cmp Yds/Tgt TD Rat DADOT Air YAC Bltz Hrry QBKD Sk Prss Comb MTkl MTkl%
2018 22 SFO   32 15 2 0 16 14 87.5% 122 8.7 7.6 1 119.3 9.3 61 61 8 2 0 1.0 3 41 5 10.9%
2019 23 SFO   32 16 0 0 12 8 66.7% 109 13.6 9.1 1 123.3 5.8 41 68 2 1 0 0.0 1 13 1 7.1%
2020 24 SEA RCB 29 10 8 2 59 38 64.4% 404 10.6 6.8 1 75.8 9.3 302 102 9 1 0 0.0 1 62 2 3.1%
2021 25 SEA CB 2 14 14 2 88 42 47.7% 507 12.1 5.8 3 67.8 10.6 344 163 0 0 0 0.0 0 78 6 7.1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Former Niner.  Started 14 games for Seattle last year.   Really good unbers in coverage last two years

Games Pass Coverage Pass Rush Tackles
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Tgt Cmp Cmp% Yds Yds/Cmp Yds/Tgt TD Rat DADOT Air YAC Bltz Hrry QBKD Sk Prss Comb MTkl MTkl%
2018 22 SFO   32 15 2 0 16 14 87.5% 122 8.7 7.6 1 119.3 9.3 61 61 8 2 0 1.0 3 41 5 10.9%
2019 23 SFO   32 16 0 0 12 8 66.7% 109 13.6 9.1 1 123.3 5.8 41 68 2 1 0 0.0 1 13 1 7.1%
2020 24 SEA RCB 29 10 8 2 59 38 64.4% 404 10.6 6.8 1 75.8 9.3 302 102 9 1 0 0.0 1 62 2 3.1%
2021 25 SEA CB 2 14 14 2 88 42 47.7% 507 12.1 5.8 3 67.8 10.6 344 163 0 0 0 0.0 0 78 6 7.1

Well he did have Mal carrying the load back there in the back of Sea's defense.  

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

PFF Grade of 78.6 is nice, especially since he is generally tasked with covering his own guy and the guy that Jamal Adams "opted out" of covering. 

Just beat me to it.  Grades out well per PFF.

image.png

• Upvote 2