2022 Jets FA signings (Merged)

6 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Fant could be a Franchise Tag candidate next year. 

Franchise Tag OT would be getting close to 20 million a yr.  I dont see the Jets valuing Fant that way, and his run blocking doesnt match his pass blocking.  If they can extend him for a few more yrs at 10 million per, I could see that as a stop gap and Becton insurance.

16 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Franchise Tag OT would be getting close to 20 million a yr.  I dont see the Jets valuing Fant that way, and his run blocking doesnt match his pass blocking.  If they can extend him for a few more yrs at 10 million per, I could see that as a stop gap and Becton insurance.

Fant is not extending at $10mm/year.  Its closer to $15mm if we lock him in now and give him a raise for 2022.  

Look at the resources the Jets have invested in their OL now.  It has to be top 5 in the NFL.  Most teams rely on 1-2 mid-round draft picks to fill slots.  JD has 2 years to find some OL to step in here and not consume premium draft picks/cost a fortune:

Fant-$11mm

AVT-$3.6mm (1st round pick)

CM-$10mm

LT-$13mm

Becton-$5mm (1st round pick)

Switching out CM for Linderbaum saves real money and a replacement in 2023. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I am not the most detail-oriented fan but I do watch every game.  How bad is it that I don't remember this guy?

He's a FB. I think you get a pass.

He came in mid season. Showed promise as our primary FB. I have no issues if we go into the season with him penciled in as our FB.

• Upvote 2

I think JD was really ready to trade draft capital to get a an established but there just isn’t anything available worth pursuing  so I think he might trade an asset to move up and get Hutchinson. 

which I wouldn’t mind. I get he’s not Chase Young or Bosa but he’s like Maxx Crosby I think which tbh I’ll take that all day .

15 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Durable AF, has experience in the system. A little older but can come in and help guys like AVT and Becton develop. Opens up the draft big time.

Honestly this is as big of a thing for me as any, knock on wood but he looks like he's missed one game in 5 years?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe D is just killing it.  Not overpaying and bringing in pro bowlers and all pros.

Yes!

Give this man a lifetime contract.

No. lol

Thank you Joe Douglas!  Thank you!!

Sure.

JD has a plan and is sticking to it.  But the proof of the pudding is in the winning.  He needs to get this team winning with the two horses he's placed his biggest bets on, Robert Saleh and Zach Wilson.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Fant has one more year on his contract.  If they cant re sign him they could still draft Oline that is a super sub  and competes for OT this year and next.  If he beats out Fant they keep Fant as a sub or trade him for a pick or player-OTs have value.  If they extend Fant then your contention becomes much more likely.

Any non QB position drafted top 5 shouldn't compete but start from day one. If we're to draft a LT 4th overall then by default Becton and Fant would have to relocate to the right side while this bluechip prospect plays LT. 

Fant isn't a top 15 tackle to the degree that we should shelter or move a prospect because hes there. If for some reason you don't think this player wouldn't beat them outright, then that GM should reconsider drafting him to begin with. 

2 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Fant has one more year on his contract.  If they cant re sign him they could still draft Oline that is a super sub  and competes for OT this year and next.  If he beats out Fant they keep Fant as a sub or trade him for a pick or player-OTs have value.  If they extend Fant then your contention becomes much more likely.

That won't move the needle at all this year - picking another OL at 4 or 10. Edge or WR will have more of an impact. If we trade back and get another pick and it's Linderbaum, but he will still only be marginally better if he plays really well his first year than McGovern, who was a top 10 center last year. I would rather go edge, WR and then TE with 3 of our first four picks.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

That won't move the needle at all this year - picking another OL at 4 or 10. Edge or WR will have more of an impact. If we trade back and get another pick and it's Linderbaum, but he will still only be marginally better if he plays really well his first year than McGovern, who was a top 10 center last year. I would rather go edge, WR and then TE with 3 of our first four picks.

Seriously, folks need to move past the idea of drafting an OL in the first round. At this point, on paper the OL is probably the best unit on the entire team. Time to start rounding out the rest of the roster.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1