2022 Jets FA signings (Merged)

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

How many tight ends in the NFL wouldn't be the #5 option on that team? 

And there are definitely zero free agent TEs That would be a better option than those 5 guys. 

The point wasn’t that he should have been better than the guys listed, it’s that no one was focusing on him because they were focusing on the other guys.

It's a solid move as when you're talking FA, this is by no measure a huge deal.

Not necessarily the answer for the team, but certainly an upgrade for one of the Jets' greatest weaknesses for a very long time.  This  move at least makes TE less of a desperation need than it was yesterday, which is a key to FA, if only to keep you from desperately reaching in the draft.

For how much some may want the Jets to go TE in the 2nd, that's not the kind of mindset a team should ever have.  If the way the board falls they have a few TEs with 3rd round grades, or a LB or DB with a 1st round grade that slipped all sitting there, they can't get themselves obsessed with only one position, and Uzomah at least helps make it easier not to.

However, this also is far from stopping the team from continuing to do plenty more at the position, if they find others that they like.

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Fant has one more year on his contract.  If they cant re sign him they could still draft Oline that is a super sub  and competes for OT this year and next.  If he beats out Fant they keep Fant as a sub or trade him for a pick or player-OTs have value.  If they extend Fant then your contention becomes much more likely.

Not only that, but we have no idea what the NYJ CS's opinion of Becton is at this point.  They watched him ALL last year in his quest to get back on the field after watching him all pre-season. The new regime may not have very high hopes for Mekhi.

While I sincerely doubt the Jets will draft an OT in the first round this year, I would completely understand if they do....because a 30+ yo  LT in the final year of his deal and a young questionable draft pick coming off a missed season due to an injury is no sure solution at OT.

• Upvote 1

Needed: a TE2 who could start the whole season if required, so they won’t need to reach for a TE in the draft because they left the hole open.

Signed: a legit starting TE, surely with the idea of drafting someone else - probably day 2 - who *gasp* may not reach his career ceiling as he starts the fall of his rookie season, particularly since they need someone to help in pass protection and rookie pass catchers usually suck at it.

$8MM/year is more than I’d expect his contract to be, but we’ve been saying this about a lot of guys and I think it’s just fans not yet used to this extra year of inflation following an artificially low cap ceiling in ‘21. Having him at TE didn’t stop the Bengals from reaching the Super Bowl, and since the game was so close, maybe they win it if he didn’t recently sprain his MCL. 

We’ll see overall this season, but given the FA options at the position - and the extreme need - it seems like a solid signing.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Connor Orr in SI on Uzomah. Makes enormous sense why he will help Wilson.

TE C.J. Uzomah to the Jets

One of my favorite moves of free agency so far, Uzomah gives Zach Wilson some serious peace of mind as an additional edge blocker and expert blitz pick-upper in the backfield. Watch some of the damage he was able to do in the backfield last year in Cincinnati. Had it not been for Uzomah, Joe Burrow may have been sacked 100 times. It always seemed like he’d fit ideally with an outside zone team given his quickness off the ball and his eagerness to block. Uzomah played well enough to price himself out of the Bengals’ market while the team spent their money on the offensive line. He was, behind the scenes, one of the team’s great “locker room guys” of the Super Bowl run.

GRADE: A

Bringing back Berrios, signing LT3 and bringing in Uzomah - three players needed for the offense, but probably more importantly, all seem to be good for the team culture.

It was a good day. 

I had my fun ripping JD but definitely happy about a good day one here. 

Now don't F this up and pay some safety superhero money. 

4 hours ago, Larz said:

The Cincinnati Bengals drafted C.J. Uzomah in the fifth round of the 2015 draft as a developmental prospect at tight end. Four seasons later, Uzomah has struggled to achieve the stats of a league-average player at the position. While he’s had to share snaps with Tyler Eifert and Tyler Kroft, both were injured early this year, and Uzomah failed to take advantage of the opportunity, producing a 57.4 grade that ranks 34th out of 41 qualifying tight ends.

at least it’s not Engram, that dude blows lol

its really great getting down voted by facts only when you post the facts ?

Nice copy and paste of a 2019 article.  Thats why I downvoted the pointless piece of SOJF material

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

I am not the most detail-oriented fan but I do watch every game.  How bad is it that I don't remember this guy?

Probably only really blocked. I don't think they used him as a ball carrier much.

18 hours ago, Hex said:

@Maxman wanted a new thread for all of the Jets signings, here it is.

List so far:

New Guys:

G Laken Tomlinson

Resigned Guys:

WR Braxton Berrios

FB Nick Bawden

FS Lamarcus Joyner

OT Conor McDermott

Missed it that they’d re-signed McDermott. Hope none of it’s guaranteed. I know they like as many repeat faces as possible for this OL, even among backups I guess, but he’s terrible.

Oh yeah, and PFF has McDermott and Fant ranked about on par with each other in both pass and run blocking. Made total sense, particluarly in pass protection, seeing how Fant gave up 1 sack all year and McDermott gave up 2 sacks in each of his 2 starts. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

So it’s shaping up to be draft a potential WR1 and ALL D.....I’m good with that, Wilson is the #1 priority as he should be and Douglas knows that.

Wow a TE finally....what’s that?  Douglas knows what he’s doing, and there is a definite Plan.

Still should draft a TE prospect. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Gen X Jet said:

Meh- disappeared in the playoffs and not a big threat in the regular season either.  Maybe better in our system?

He was injured in Q1 of the AFCCG, ruled out of the game and was doubtful to even play in the Superbowl.

CJ Uzomah in the 2021 regular season - 49 catches, 493 yards, 5 TDs.

CJ Uzomah in the 2021 playoffs - 15 catches, 146 yards and a TD. (Most of this was in 2 games).

For comparison ...

Ryan Griffin in the 2021 regular season - 27 catches, 261 yards and a 2 TDs.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Larz said:

The Cincinnati Bengals drafted C.J. Uzomah in the fifth round of the 2015 draft as a developmental prospect at tight end. Four seasons later, Uzomah has struggled to achieve the stats of a league-average player at the position. While he’s had to share snaps with Tyler Eifert and Tyler Kroft, both were injured early this year, and Uzomah failed to take advantage of the opportunity, producing a 57.4 grade that ranks 34th out of 41 qualifying tight ends. at least it’s not Engram, that dude blows lol

10 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Thank you, Larz, for educating these bandwagon jumpers.

Oh you slaves to stats.  Never seeing the larger picture.  Uzomah has flashed at times and is a solid signing, but let's address 2021.  When you have Chase, Higgins, Boyd AND Mixon to throw the ball to, you are not going to see a lot of action going towards the TE.  When your franchise QB is coming off a terrible injury, you use your big TE to protect his ass at every turn.

There's a lot more to this than Uzomah's stats.   

Downvoters are correct here.  And if that was an "education", then the entire school staff needs to be fired.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Lith said:

Solid blocking TE.  SHowed some promise as a receiver last year.  Better than anything we have had for the past few seasons.  Should not impact the priority to draft a TE on day 2.

exactly.  And with Chase..Higgins..Mixon..Boyd as outstanding targets, how much opportunity was CJ going to get in the passing game realistically?  He will have better opportunity here.  And he is a good blocker as the Bengals kind of needed to do everything to protect their star QB after that bad 2020 injury.  And we kind of need our TE to be able to do that a bit, ya think?    That's why you don't go after a TE like Engram who is useless in protection and the run game.  

This was a very good signing.  I still think they take a TE on day 2.  It's just a 3 yr contract and I don't know if or when the out clause will be. 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Would like to see the details on the deal, but he's not a legit weapon.

Certainly an upgrade over what we had, but we still need weapons.

This guy with TE at 35/38 will be fine....

Yes he is a weapon.

Dude is really good but was over shadowed by the Bengals WR corp which I believe to be the best in the NFL.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I don't get the negativity over this signing at all. Uzomah is a big TE who can run, block and catch.  He was a major asset for the Bengals in their Superbowl run, and a valuable weapon for Joe Burrow. I'm surprised that the Bengals let him get away, and even more surprised that it was the Jets who paid up to get him out of Cincy.

He was huge for the Bengals in their first two playoff games before he got injured, and fought to get back for the Superbowl. He's a leader and a great locker room presence - very important for a young team with a young QB.

I'm sure the Jets aren't done at the position, but this is a really good start.  And when is the last time we had a TE who could make plays like this?

Excellent post Coops, not surprised. I agree with all that you wrote and I would add that this also DOESNT  put us in a position where we MUST draft a TE at 35 and 38. Tomlinson and CJ Uzomah not only takes pressure off HAVING to draft at these positions but it also makes it not obvious to the other NFL teams the direction we are headed. I am all in on McBride, but if we don't land him I am totally fine with Uzomah, Yaboha, and either Ruckert, Wydermyer, or  Otton. Same could be said about the OLINE. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1