Braxton Re-signed!

So I'm not figuring them to re-sign Berrios at $6MM and then add a WR1 type in FA as well. Was always a long shot while the team's locked into Davis. 

Looks like the safer money will be Moore - Davis - Berrios - #10 overall pick (or round 1 after trading down some, or top of round 2).

He waited too long on Berrios, and it cost an extra few million per year probably, but I guess at least he got it done. Hate to lose a WR who gets open - fast - and doesn't drop the ball. Especially with the way Wilson so often played as a rookie. 

Douglas gets a B on this signing; an A would've been getting it done earlier this season (like he did with JFM), or even before then. But it's better than the F grade he'd have earned if Berrios signed elsewhere, or the C grade he'd have gotten if those $9MM/year rumors were reality and that was the contract.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

The Jets wanting to keep berrios and berrios wanting to stay with the jets was the worst kept secret in football.  Him leaving was never going to happen.

Joe D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You act like everything is the worst-kept secrets in football. I think Carolina trying to get Watson is even worse

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The Jets wanting to keep berrios and berrios wanting to stay with the jets was the worst kept secret in football.  Him leaving was never going to happen.

Joe D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Zach Wilson has more to do with it.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

That's a terrible use of cap space 

Strange take.  At worst, even if the Jets add another WR in FA or draft one in the first 2 rounds Berrios has shown he's at least a WR4, can play WR2 when the Jets are in dire straits, and he's a Pro Bowl type returner on Special Teams.

When you add to the above that there's an obvious comfort level and familiarity with the Jets 2nd year QB then $6M per year is an absolute no-brainer, especially when you wrap your head around the fact the Jets were paying guys like Jamison Crowder about $10M per year.

This is a solid depth move and puts a floor under the WR group since they already have Corey Davis and Elijah Moore under contract.  With Berrios back every addition is an upgrade to the group at this point.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

I feel like those numbers are incredibly reasonable. My fear was that he was looking to parlay a decent season with a few big splash plays into top tier slot WR money.

That's a perfectly reasonable contract for a really good returner that appears to be turning into a decent weapon on offense. 

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm seriously losing it. I read the thread title as if Berrios resigned from the team and thought to myself "wow that's a first but not surprising. Didn't even know a guy could do that." 

This is one of my biggest pet peeves on sports message boards. Resigning and re-signing are opposite actions. Use the hyphen, fools.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That girl on Twitter who has been tweeting the Jets daily for months to re-sign Berrios must be going nuts.  She's been flashing her girl parts trying to get JD's attention and get Braxton back with the Jets. lol

Link?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That's a perfectly reasonable contract for a really good returner that appears to be turning into a decent weapon on offense. 

I think there's value in the Gadget stuff too.

I think the Jets initially wanted Moore to play that role - but giving more Runs to Berrios can hopefully help keep Moore healthy..

• Sympathy 1