A Jets hypothetical based on Jaguars Spending Spree

14 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

What matters for the Jaguars is the development of Trevor Lawrence. As far as the offensive players are concerned, if Scherff helps lock down the right side of the line and Kirk becomes a favorite target of Trevor Lawrence, Trevor takes a massive step forward, does it really matter if Scherff and Kirk are overpaid? I don't think it does personally. 

We'll see if they are right, and i'm not saying I want the Jets to shell out that kind of money, but it's all about setting their young QB up to succeed. 

To answer the question I would probably be happy because it would be fun to see them sign a ton of guys lol, and it would make no change on how I feel about Wilson overall. My thoughts on ZW is that I think he has all the physical ability, but he needs to take a big step next year.

Jets kinda just did similar in signing G Laken T. and re-signing Berrios. Yes I know Berrios was already here but most were expecting we'd lose him and he is very valuable to the O with Wilson. If Laken brings the toughness we need to run the ball better up the middle and pass block pretty good and Berrios continues the Jet Sweeps and shares slot time between him and Moore that will also help Wilson develop further as well. Now the 1/2 WR positions are the question. I assume Moore could play one of them in a pinch, but ideally you'd want Moore in the slot though they may view him as one of the starting 1/2 depending on how things go. The 1-4 would be good as 1-TBD, 2 C. Davis, 3-Moore, 4-Berrios since your primary PR/KR can get tired out for those ST roles and not do as well at them if they play too many snaps on O. The 1-TBD needs to be either a FA or draft pick maybe at 10 in the 1st round. If we get both then they just fight it out for playing time, but we know we need extra WRs due to injuries. A TE in FA and the draft also is a must since ours are just not cutting it.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

1.  Would this make you happy or upset as a Jets fans to see them be THAT aggressive?

2.  Would it make you feel better, worse, no change on how they felt about Wilson?

1 it would be terrible, been there done that

2 worse for wilson, that kind of money for no true players taht can move the needle for him. Imagine Kirk here - is he better than davis or moore? im not sure you can make that argument. They are def trying to get past that coach and paying the jag tax. 

So glad we are starting to be run like a good org.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Jets kinda just did similar in signing G Laken T. and re-signing Berrios. Yes I know Berrios was already here but most were expecting we'd lose him and he is very valuable to the O with Wilson. If Laken brings the toughness we need to run the ball better up the middle and pass block pretty good and Berrios continues the Jet Sweeps and shares slot time between him and Moore that will also help Wilson develop further as well. Now the 1/2 WR positions are the question. I assume Moore could play one of them in a pinch, but ideally you'd want Moore in the slot though they may view him as one of the starting 1/2 depending on how things go. The 1-4 would be good as 1-TBD, 2 C. Davis, 3-Moore, 4-Berrios since your primary PR/KR can get tired out for those ST roles and not do as well at them if they play too many snaps on O. The 1-TBD needs to be either a FA or draft pick maybe at 10 in the 1st round. If we get both then they just fight it out for playing time, but we know we need extra WRs due to injuries. A TE in FA and the draft also is a must since ours are just not cutting it.

461506166_pink-floyd-the-wall-i103407(1).jpg.4eb21aed95bdd8f1404bc851bf660b4c.jpg

19 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

1.  Would this make you happy or upset as a Jets fans to see them be THAT aggressive?

2.  Would it make you feel better, worse, no change on how they felt about Wilson?

1. Upset

- Are the 2022 Jag's the 2019 Jets?

2. No Change

- 2019 was pretty aggressive for the jets in year 2 of Darnold and it didnt turn out.

- But also, our franchise QB didnt turn out so maybe we are gun shy. Will it be differnt for Lawrence, maybe... probably.

- I will say, I would be pretty disappointed if my team signed Krik for that much. Dont know the details of it but sheesh. 

There is no universe where spending 84 million on Christian Kirk would make me happy. I do appreciate the Jags doing what they can to get Lawrence on track. With Etienne returning from injury he should have every chance to succeed. But they aren't really making the smart moves that will help the franchise win a SB long term.  

• Upvote 2

I think this Jags off-season is the front office massively trying to correct for all the wrongs they put Lawrence through last year so it really doesn’t affect me one way or another. Who knows, maybe Lawrence’s team even went and said if we go through another embarrassment like that again he’s going to “retire” until traded. It’s hard to accurately convey how much of a sh*t show that team was last year.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

Applaud JAX for being aggressive but it could backfire big time:

- Scherff has been hurt a TON over the past 3-4 years

- Fatukasi is a run stuffer but for that $$$ you want some kind of pass rush

- Kirk isn't worth 17-21 million a year, sorry

- Oluokun is probably their safest signing.  He's been crazy durable
and productive but for that $$$ you want sacks also 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Jets kinda just did similar in signing G Laken T. and re-signing Berrios.

Was just gonna say… the OGs are a push.

Berrios as a #4 WR is way better than Kirk as a #1 WR.

The other signings are defense and irrelevant to the develop QB context.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Was just gonna say… the OGs are a push.

Berrios as a #4 WR is way better than Kirk as a #1 WR.

The other signings are defense and irrelevant to the develop QB context.

See if you still think it's a push if we find out Jacksonville's paying him $20MM/year to start + finish 10 games per year, with a backup filling in for 4-5 full starts plus 1-2 more games of mopping up the last 1/2 to 1/3 of the game.

• Sympathy 1

It appears that the Jaguars are going to run a 3-4 defense with Caldwell as DC.

Foley is their NT.  That is smart.  

I don't get the LB signing-he is a 4-3 LB and they have Myles Jack.  They have Josh Allen already.  

Have to wonder if they take Hutchinson who is a 4-3 DE.  

The Jets had more cap space than the Jaguars, so have to wonder about the spending.  

ZW now has a solid line, very solid if Becton shows up to play RT.  

The key question JD needs to ask himself is if the Jets are happy with the best WR available at 10, assuming Garrett Wilson is not there.  ZW needs another WR.  

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

See if you still think it's a push if we find out Jacksonville's paying him $20MM/year to start + finish 10 games per year, with a backup filling in for 4-5 full starts plus 1-2 more games of mopping up the last 1/2 to 1/3 of the game.

Come on. I know Laken is the more durable, I simply mean it from the standpoint of positions addressed.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Like the past Jets, the Jags have been bad at drafting. Hence why they are spending all of their money on Free Agents, because their own drafted players are not worth the money.

That's all this means.

I have to disagree. I feel like the Jaguars have done some incredible drafting as of late:

J. Ramsey, Josh Allen, Allen Robinson, T. Lawrence, AJ Bouye, Fournette, DJ. Chark, Allen Hurns, Minshew, J. Robinson, Myles Jack, Yannick Ngakoue, Cam Robinson, Dante Fowler

Crazy thing is almost every guy has left.

They seem to be spending FA money this year because for some reason their players don't want to stay. 

17 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

I have to disagree. I feel like the Jaguars have done some incredible drafting as of late:

J. Ramsey, Josh Allen, Allen Robinson, T. Lawrence, AJ Bouye, Fournette, DJ. Chark, Allen Hurns, Minshew, J. Robinson, Myles Jack, Yannick Ngakoue, Cam Robinson, Dante Fowler

Crazy thing is almost every guy has left.

They seem to be spending FA money this year because for some reason their players don't want to stay. 

Ramsey was 2016, others were years ago, a different regime.  Thats as of late? 

I’m very happy this isn’t what the jets did. None of those guys are game changers. 

Kirk is a #2 who got what 17 a year?? That’s just ridiculous.

Scherffs name has more value than his play has these last few years. Always hurt. He’s been good, but not some rock star.

they massively overpaid all of the other guys too.

This is what the giants did and look at them. A ton of holes and in cap hell  

Just now, Jet Nut said:

That Allen wasn’t 2019 or that we’re talking different regimes? Ramsey wasn’t 2016?

You didn't say anything in your OP about regimes, you said "the Jaguars don't draft well like the Jets".

Jaguars Drafted Pro Bowls 2016-2021 = 6 (Ramsey 3 times, Abouye, Telvin Smith, Yannick, Chark, Allen)

Jets Drafted Pro Bowls 2016-2021 = 2* (Adams, L. Williams)

* Excluding Andre Roberts for Special Teams

You also said "their own drafted players are not worth the money". So why are they still in the NFL? Someone seems to think they are worth the money. 

Jets Drafted players still in the league (2014-2021)= 37

Jaguars Drafted players still in the league (2014-2021) = 44