WIDE RECEIVERS after round 1 of FA

I think Jax made Joe Douglas choke on his coffee... Dreams of Chark, (or chasing Allen Robinson waterfalls) were dashed. If anything, he sticks to his black book... The proverbial "know when to fold 'em..." Which is fine with me - we saw the alternatives with Mike "IDGAF" Tanny, and Big Macc who slept through free agency then tried throwing money around used car lots. 

What you've got:

• Corey Davis
  • Elijah Moore
  • Sexton Berrios

the rest is irrelevant, including the empty vessel that was Mims (RIP)... 

What you're gonna likely see:

• 1 signature FA signing
  • 1 signature day 2 pick (ok, you Elton Johns can believe #10 is in play if you close your eyes)
  • 1 jobber brought back to do STs and drink Gatorade

IMO - Here's your best bets on who the Jets will try to secure:

1. Rashad Higgins... Why? Route runner with a high floor, likely to outperform his contract. 
  2. Will Fuller.... Why? Cause Will can't afford not take the job, and the Jets can afford an incentive laden "go run 9s all day" to open up downfield plays
  3. Allan Lazard... Why? Sure handed and physical. Unlikely if healthy he's not able to open up the perimeter. 
  4. Marquise Brown via *TRADE*.. Why? His time in BAL is over, he's everything we're missing downfield. "gamer retirement" rumors are silly. (will cost us though)
  5. Adam Humphries... Why? because it be classic SOJ

F1CL.gif

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I think Jax made Joe Douglas briefly choked on his coffee... Dreams of Chark, (or for some of you chasing the Allen Robinson waterfall) were dashed. If anything, he sticks to his black book. "know when to fold 'em..." Which is fine with me - we saw the alternatives; Mike "IDGAF" Tanny, and Big Macc who slept through free agency then tried to make up lost ground with throwing money around used car lots. 

What you've got:

• Corey Davis
  • Elijah Moore
  • Sexton Berrios

• 1 signature FA signing
  • 1 signature day 2 pick (ok, you Elton Johns can believe #10 is play if you close your eyes)
  • 1 jobber brought back to do STs and drink gatorade

1. Rashad Higgins... Why? Route runner with a high floor, likely to outperform his contract. 
  2. Will Fuller.... Why? Cause Will can't afford not take the job, and the Jets can afford an incentive laden "go run 9s all day" to open up downfield plays
  3. Allan Lazard... Why? Sure handed and physical. Unlikely if healthy he's not able to open up the perimeter. 
  4. Marquise Brown via *TRADE*.. Why? His time in BAL is over, he's everything we're missing downfield. "gamer retirement" rumors are silly. (will cost us though)

F1CL.gif

Will Fuller would come really cheap worth the upside 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

What's your thoughts on DJ Clark?

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is the dude i want. he showed tons of promise early in his career.

Chark was my personal #1 target for the jets WR/FA wise after Mike Williams got tagged... but after seeing what C. Wilson, Kirk & Z Jones got, i don't think there's a chance Douglas will pay Chark what he'll get from OAK/ATL/IND (<--my bet where he goes)

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is the dude i want. he showed tons of promise early in his career.

It’ll be interesting to see what he signs for.

Even considering the rookie Lawrence handicap he was pretty bad last year and then broke his ankle before he had an extended chance to turn it around. In his one seemingly good game in terms of yards & a TD took 12 targets (two of which he dropped) for him to catch 3 of them, even if one was a 41 yard TD.

His second season plus his height and (at one time) blistering 40 time might get him more than we think, but at the same time I wouldn’t be shocked to see him signing a cheaper 1 year prove-it deal to hope to try cashing in bigger next year. I’ve honestly no idea what offers he’s fielding on either side of that spectrum but I guess we’ll find out soon enough. If it’s on the lower end, sure I’d want Douglas to throw his hat into the ring.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What about juju?  I still like the guy, hes tough and still young.

Most people do not like him for some reason

I like him still to an extent. I stopped short of adding him because he doesn’t open up the playbook much (tho does fit the offense) but I just feel if the jets loved him that much they would made it happen last year 

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What about juju?  I still like the guy, hes tough and still young.

Most people do not like him for some reason

With the Jets seemingly dead set on playing Moore on the outside, he actually makes a lot of sense.

I would’ve said that he shouldn’t have anymore delusions of getting $16 million a year after having to return to the Steelers on a 1 year, $8 mill “prove it” deal.

But after today…who the hell knows.

Still, bringing back Berrios, signing JuJu and drafting a wideout within the first 3 rounds doesn’t exactly sound like a doomsday scenario.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It’ll be interesting to see what he signs for.

Even considering the rookie Lawrence handicap he was pretty bad last year and then broke his ankle before he had an extended chance to turn it around. In his one seemingly good game in terms of yards & a TD took 12 targets (two of which he dropped) for him to catch 3 of them, even if one was a 41 yard TD.

His second season plus his height and (at one time) blistering 40 time might get him more than we think, but at the same time I wouldn’t be shocked to see him signing a cheaper 1 year prove-it deal to hope to try cashing in bigger next year. I’ve honestly no idea what offers he’s fielding on either side of that spectrum but I guess we’ll find out soon enough. If it’s on the lower end, sure I’d want Douglas to throw his hat into the ring.

Hard to judge his time with Meyer’s circus. Only player who profited was Laquan Treadwell. Yea, figure that one out.  

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Hard to judge his time with Meyer’s circus. Only player who profited was Laquan Treadwell. Yea, figure that one out.  

Yeah that’s fair, and a WR doesn’t accidentally or luck into catching >1000 yards worth of passes from a rookie backup QB in his 2nd season.

An ankle break should heal fine in theory, but I guess you don’t know until you know, and his elite speed was such a big part of what made him dangerous.

I honestly couldn’t say what my ceiling would be for him as a GM, but if he’s in play on a show-me contract I’d want Douglas to beat that out by 10%. Then again how many WRs are coming here this year on prove-it deals?

With Elijah Moore and Corey Davis starting and with Berrios earning a decent amount of snaps as a playmaker I would bet that any WR we bring in will be a 1 year cheap rental and instead we use a high draft pick on WR

Look at a JAG like Christian Kirk getting an 84 million dollar deal. The NFL clearly values WRs these days above just about any position outside of QB. A good WR on a rookie contract is like gold. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I think Jax made Joe Douglas briefly choked on his coffee... Dreams of Chark, (or for some of you chasing the Allen Robinson waterfall) were dashed. If anything, he sticks to his black book. "know when to fold 'em..." Which is fine with me - we saw the alternatives; Mike "IDGAF" Tanny, and Big Macc who slept through free agency then tried to make up lost ground with throwing money around used car lots. 

What you've got:

• Corey Davis
  • Elijah Moore
  • Sexton Berrios

• 1 signature FA signing
  • 1 signature day 2 pick (ok, you Elton Johns can believe #10 is play if you close your eyes)
  • 1 jobber brought back to do STs and drink gatorade

I still think we are drafting a WR with one of our picks in the first 2 rounds (top 10 is possible) and so the need to bring in another "good" WR like Juju or Fuller isn't really a high priority (unless we can get Fuller really cheap). When Fuller is on the field he is a difference maker. 

I also like the Marquis Brown trade concept. Haven't heard it before, but if the Ravens are looking to move on from him I think Lafleur would love to be able to work with a dynamic down field player like Brown.  But given how close Brown is to getting a new deal himself, it may not cost as much but it also may not be a huge interest for JD when he can draft a Wilson/London/Olave/Williams type and have that kid under control for 5ish years. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

Chark was my personal #1 target for the jets WR/FA wise after Mike Williams got tagged... but after seeing what C. Wilson, Kirk & Z Jones got, i don't think there's a chance Douglas will pay Chark what he'll get from OAK/ATL/IND (<--my bet where he goes)

He got $10mm, one year. Seems like we were off on the DJ Chark market lol.

IF the Jets keep adding tight ends, I’m fine with punting on a high draft pick/fa receiver for another year.  

They want to run 2 tight end sets anyway, Add a development guy in the third or later (Tolbert/Ross)and let’s play some power football until Zach is ready to take the next step.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He got $10mm, one year. Seems like we were off on the DJ Chark market lol.

10-12 on a prove it deal it decent pay day. Still more than JD was gonna offer. That almost exactly what the market value was on him according to the cap site 

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

10-12 on a prove it deal it decent pay day. Still more than JD was gonna offer. That almost exactly what the market value was on him according to the cap site 

Okay, I mean you were referencing guys like Kirk who were resetting the market with huge long term deals.

One year prove it type deal makes sense for a guy with Chark's injury history -- I suspect that's one reason why Douglas wasn't interested.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

Lol yea?

Sorry, couldn't quote it and comment on my phone after I deleted the rest.

My intended comment was (in my best Doc Holiday voice) "I'll be your Rocket Man".

Woulda been funnier had it worked right.  :unsure:

In any event, I am a big "WR at #10" guy, and will remain so until that pick is made and it isn't a WR.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure you see another FA signing at WR.  Had we lost berrios they absolutely would have, but with him back in the fold, i believe the play there centers around the draft where there are at least 4-5 guys the jets really like.  Thats where I think we'll see that next WR come from. 

Wilson and London early if they decide to not trade down from 10 (which im feeling is more and more likely, also big because they want to divert some capital to next year to offset the amount needed to sign all rookies this year).  To an extent Williams too, but thats more conjecture on my part, i do think they would consider him because of the long ball speed. 

2nd I think they pray for Watson, which i believe is their dream scenario, but teams are really high on him, chance he sneaks inot back end of 1.  Sky Moore is also another name to keep on the radar, does a lot of things the jets like and they woudl be interested in a trade down in the 2nd. 

I know they like Melton too but I have a hard time believing that would be their main play at the position.  More so an additional pickup for depth. 

• Upvote 2

I'd be interested if the price was a day 3 pick

ESPN's Michael DiRocco reports the Jaguars may be open to trading WR Laviska Shenault. 

The Jaguars loaded up on free agent pass catchers on Monday, inking Christian Kirk, Evan Engram, and Zay Jones. Doug Pederson is the second straight Jacksonville head coach who seems less-than-enamored with Shenault, a fantasy football folk hero whose best chance at success might be elsewhere. Shenault -- a dual threat wideout -- in 2021 failed to score a touchdown on 100 targets in the horrendous Jaguars offense. He could be a useful gadget player in an offense with established pass catchers. 

10 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I'm not sure you see another FA signing at WR.  Had we lost berrios they absolutely would have, but with him back in the fold, . 

I cant fathom the jets going into the draft with 3 WRs, 2 of whom finished the year on IR/injured. 

they need someone. Even of the Higgins, Demarcus Robinson variety 

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

There's quite a few obvious reasons why this could happen... health though. Dude is never made it 16 games i don't think.

yup... he's an exotic sports car. when everything is working he's got speed to burn and will make some nice plays for you..... but if anything happens the guy is out for weeks 

think the most he's ever made it is like 10 games = so he'll fit right in lol

• Haha 1