WIDE RECEIVERS after round 1 of FA

On 3/14/2022 at 10:57 PM, Paradis said:

I think Jax made Joe Douglas choke on his coffee... Dreams of Chark, (or chasing Allen Robinson waterfalls) were dashed. If anything, he sticks to his black book... The proverbial "know when to fold 'em..." Which is fine with me - we saw the alternatives with Mike "IDGAF" Tanny, and Big Macc who slept through free agency then tried throwing money around used car lots. 

What you've got:

• Corey Davis
  • Elijah Moore
  • Sexton Berrios

the rest is irrelevant, including the empty vessel that was Mims (RIP)... 

What you're gonna likely see:

• 1 signature FA signing
  • 1 signature day 2 pick (ok, you Elton Johns can believe #10 is in play if you close your eyes)
  • 1 jobber brought back to do STs and drink Gatorade

IMO - Here's your best bets on who the Jets will try to secure:

1. Rashad Higgins... Why? Route runner with a high floor, likely to outperform his contract. 
  2. Will Fuller.... Why? Cause Will can't afford not take the job, and the Jets can afford an incentive laden "go run 9s all day" to open up downfield plays
  3. Allan Lazard... Why? Sure handed and physical. Unlikely if healthy he's not able to open up the perimeter. 
  4. Marquise Brown via *TRADE*.. Why? His time in BAL is over, he's everything we're missing downfield. "gamer retirement" rumors are silly. (will cost us though)
  5. Adam Humphries... Why? because it be classic SOJ

F1CL.gif

I wouldn't  mind Lazard because he is a really good downfield blocker. We need players like that. 

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I could see us taking a guy like Shakir in the 4th and him being a guy who sticks on the roster for years. Same with Bo Melton. Skye Moore is another guy they really like.  

i dont want to like Sky Moore... so this makes sense,

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I wouldn't  mind Lazard because he is a really good downfield blocker. We need players like that. 

Lazard was given a 2nd round RFA tender by the Packers.  We would need to give up a 2 for him.

11 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

good, if they draft him then you can love him instead. 

What we doing with him, filming Multiplicity 2?  He's a good prospect, but he doesn't up the playcalling at all. It's Elijah-Skyy Moore. He has better sudden needs outside against press man - so more polish... but this engine doesn't need more upgrades with headers and exhaust.... Its needs some forced induction here. Supercharge that sh*t

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

What we doing with him, filming Multiplicity 2?  He's a good prospect, but he doesn't up the playcalling at all. It's Elijah-Skyy Moore. He has better sudden needs outside against press man - so more polish... but this engine doesn't need more upgrades with headers and exhaust.... Its needs some forced induction here. Supercharge that sh*t

First off, multiplicity was a fantastic film that really put michael keaton range as an actor on display, dont you dare disparage its name like that. 

I think its less about moore being here and more about resigning berrios.  Now that Brax is back in the saddle, i think the love of some of these smaller slot guys will just be love and not action.  I think alot of it initially was contingencies if Berrios left during FA.  With him in the fold, you can focus elsewhere which is why the two names ive heard the most with the jets is London and Watson.  I did hear they like Pickens at the combine but nothing else really, they just thought he looked good.  

17 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

First off, multiplicity was a fantastic film that really put michael keaton range as an actor on display, dont you dare disparage its name like that. ♥️

I did hear they like Pickens at the combine but nothing else really, they just thought he looked good.  

longday-long.gif

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Paradis said:

longday-long.gif

haha it could mean nothing but I had heard they thought he looked good.  I have no idea of their interest level.  Where as with London and Watson, I have specifically heard they really like the player.  I had heard that about those other guys I mentioned as well, but like i said with Big BB back i think thats a little less on the table. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

haha it could mean nothing but I had heard they thought he looked good.  I have no idea of their interest level.  Where as with London and Watson, I have specifically heard they really like the player.  I had heard that about those other guys I mentioned as well, but like i said with Big BB back i think thats a little less on the table. 

Same.   I think Douglas has tried to address the need for a bigger outside receiver but hasn’t really hit on a guy yet.  He drafted Mims, signed Davis, brought in Cager and signed a couple other practice squad guys who were 6’3” and taller.   

If London runs mid 4.5 at his personal pro day in April, I think teams are going to feel better about taking him mid to high first round.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Same.   I think Douglas has tried to address the need for a bigger outside receiver but hasn’t really hit on a guy yet.  He drafted Mims, signed Davis, brought in Cager and signed a couple other practice squad guys who were 6’3” and taller.   

If London runs mid 4.5 at his personal pro day in April, I think teams are going to feel better about taking him mid to high first round.  

london’s pro day is huge.  But even if he runs a 4.5 I’m not sure the jets would take him at 10. And I still think the jets could go OL in round 1, but more so at 10 or in a trade back than at 4.  This is one of those drafts where the wr the jets could get in the 2nd may be as good as the wr they get at 10 anyway.

18 minutes ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Lazard is trash.  We need a receiver since the coaching staff hates Mims and we just let crowder go but he’s not the answer

Completely agree.  We have a super stud wr in garrett wilson staring us in the face at 10.  Joe D wouldnt even give a thought to a JAG like Lazard.

Garrett Wilson is going to be one of the best receivers in the nfl in 3 years.  Joe D is salavating right now over him.

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Completely agree.  We have a super stud wr in garrett wilson staring us in the face at 10.  Joe D wouldnt even give a thought to a JAG like Lazard.

Garrett Wilson is going to be one of the best receivers in the nfl in 3 years.  Joe D is salavating right now over him.

I’d rather draft Linderbaum.  If the coaching staff can convince Becton to actually play he and Linderbaum and the rest of that OL will be scary good

Nice review. College offenses are so wide open that more receivers are able to get reps in games. While there are few elite WRs, there are a lot of capable starters.

If we go WR in the 2nd, I like Christian Watson. I also like Calvin Austin III, but he maybe redundant now that we got Berrios back. But both those guys are supreme athletes and that athleticism pops on tape.

I would also look to see if we can get Shenault for a day 3 pick. His base contract is only a little over $1 million.

We only have Moore, Davis and Berrios. Unfortunately Moore is going to be forced to be our #1 guy. Hopefully he steps up.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

Nice review. College offenses are so wide open that more receivers are able to get reps in games. While there are few elite WRs, there are a lot of capable starters.

If we go WR in the 2nd, I like Christian Watson. I also like Calvin Austin III, but he maybe redundant now that we got Berrios back. But both those guys are supreme athletes and that athletes pops on tape.

I would also look to see if we can get Shenault for a day 3 pick. He’s base contract is only a little over $1 million.

I think giants are about to cut Slayton

36 minutes ago, Dwight Englewood said:

I’d rather draft Linderbaum.  If the coaching staff can convince Becton to actually play he and Linderbaum and the rest of that OL will be scary good

I think we are going to trade back from 4.  To between 11-15.  Take Wilson at 10 and Linderbaum at 13.  Then take Mcbride, Breece Hall and a pash rusher in round 2(this third 2nd round pick coming in the trade back from 4).

54 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

If he runs mid 4.5s I wouldn't be surprised to see us take him at 10.  While i feel like it's a little high and would like to slide back and take him in the teens, with the demand for WRs right now and the recency bias of rookies being extremely productive, his value will be pushed higher. 

The Jets reallyyyyy liked Watson at the senior bowl, but his combine testing opened a lot of eyes.  Im not sure anyone expected him to blow the testing away to that degree.  

A kid thats 6'4 208 with 32" arms and big 10+" hands was a great start but then the official 4.36 40 38.5 vert and a crazy 136 broad just showed the amount of explosiveness he has. Then factor in that he did a lot of different things at NDSU that mesh with what we like on offense and it just seems like JD's match made in heaven. 

12 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

If he runs mid 4.5s I wouldn't be surprised to see us take him at 10.  While i feel like it's a little high and would like to slide back and take him in the teens, with the demand for WRs right now and the recency bias of rookies being extremely productive, his value will be pushed higher. 

The Jets reallyyyyy liked Watson at the senior bowl, but his combine testing opened a lot of eyes.  Im not sure anyone expected him to blow the testing away to that degree.  

A kid thats 6'4 208 with 32" arms and big 10+" hands was a great start but then the official 4.36 40 38.5 vert and a crazy 136 broad just showed the amount of explosiveness he has. Then factor in that he did a lot of different things at NDSU that mesh with what we like on offense and it just seems like JD's match made in heaven. 

Agree about Watson, I could actually see him going before the Jets picks in the second.  I wouldn’t be shocked to see Detroit take him at 32.   

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agree about Watson, I could actually see him going before the Jets picks in the second.  I wouldn’t be shocked to see Detroit take him at 32.   

if the jets want him they’re going to have to trade up to get him in this weak class.  Wr measurables matter and Watson has all of them.  

15 minutes ago, Paradis said:

you guys are really about this Watson kid hey... Fine fine... i'll go have a look.

Hate that school. 

My biggest issue with him is that when you watch his tape you wouldn’t think he would have tested the way he did.   There’s some of it there, but I was shocked to see his numbers at the combine.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Me either, theres a feeling he could go in the late end of rd 1.  Which is why I wouldnt rule out a trade up from rd 2 for him by JD, or a trade down from 10 and trade back up into 1.  Something of that nature.  I do think we're going to wheel and deal quite a bit if we're able to find a deal, especially now with the flexibility gained through FA. It just makes more sense. 

People wont like it, but the conklin signing to me signals that we'll probably be taking a TE later than people want, unless someone just falls into our laps.  To me that says we're prepared to package some 2nd rounders to move back into the first, and to me that signals aggressive moves for Watson. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

My biggest issue with him is that when you watch his tape you wouldn’t think he would have tested the way he did.   There’s some of it there, but I was shocked to see his numbers at the combine.  

100% agree with this.  Also, he's had a history of drops in the past.  This year he was better had only 2, and ive said this here before i do believe catching is a developmental skill, so the fact that its improved is a good sign that he's able to develop.  

But yes, i did not expect to see the numbers at the combine based on his film.  

I went from hoping to grab him in the 5th to ok late 2nd 3rd after the senior bowl to crap we may have to trade up for him after the combine.  Pretty big movement for a kid from NDSU

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

100% agree with this.  Also, he's had a history of drops in the past.  This year he was better had only 2, and ive said this here before i do believe catching is a developmental skill, so the fact that its improved is a good sign that he's able to develop.  

But yes, i did not expect to see the numbers at the combine based on his film.  

I went from hoping to grab him in the 5th to ok late 2nd 3rd after the senior bowl to crap we may have to trade up for him after the combine.  Pretty big movement for a kid from NDSU

I tend to not let combine numbers sway me this much, but his were so unexpected that you have to go back and really look.   I watched him some this past season as a friend of mine would mention him a lot.   If he was a more natural hands catcher like London is I would feel A LOT more comfortable with him.  

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I tend to not let combine numbers sway me this much, but his were so unexpected that you have to go back and really look.   I watched him some this past season as a friend of mine would mention him a lot.   If he was a more natural hands catcher like London is I would feel A LOT more comfortable with him.  

that is my biggest concern honestly.  The numbers are the numbers, what that shows me is he's more athletic than he was able to show at NDSU, and thats for whatever reason, but the raw tools are there. 

The hands worry me a little bit, but I did see better performance and some nice grabs during the senior bowl practices, which again to me make me think he's on an upswing and improving.  We'll see, I personally would rather take him in RD 2 than trade up, but theres not many guys after him that will be available and can bring what he does to the table in terms of size and athleticism. 

Pickens is really the only other guy, and I havent heard of a lot of teams that are super high on him right now. I do think he's moved himself into the top 10 WR in the draft in many's eyes, but how much that actually says idk. 

If I had to guess JD would rank them London, Watson, Pickens... which many may take umbrage with 

• Upvote 1

James Washington (Steelers) is a guy who would interest me for cheap.

Former 2nd round pick, has had some decent success in the league. Just 25 years old, fell down the Steelers depth chart last year.

I'd like the Jets to take a flier on him.

8 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

that is my biggest concern honestly.  The numbers are the numbers, what that shows me is he's more athletic than he was able to show at NDSU, and thats for whatever reason, but the raw tools are there. 

The hands worry me a little bit, but I did see better performance and some nice grabs during the senior bowl practices, which again to me make me think he's on an upswing and improving.  We'll see, I personally would rather take him in RD 2 than trade up, but theres not many guys after him that will be available and can bring what he does to the table in terms of size and athleticism. 

Pickens is really the only other guy, and I havent heard of a lot of teams that are super high on him right now. I do think he's moved himself into the top 10 WR in the draft in many's eyes, but how much that actually says idk. 

If I had to guess JD would rank them London, Watson, Pickens... which many may take umbrage with 

I still like London, I envision a Michael Thomas type receiver who will move the chains and be a volume guy.  Paired with Moore it could be a nice combo, similar to how Thomas played off of Brandon Cooks in New Orleans.   

Anyway, I don’t think there is any doubt the Jets will addressing WR early.  

• Upvote 1

When you watch the 1v1s you'll see the potential for really good releases.  He definitely has the understanding, but a lot of it is clearly new to him, he falls a few times trying to bite off more than he can chew pairing some moves together.  Not to say he cant do it, he jsut needs more work at the more advanced packages.  There were at least 2 catches you would have loved to see him come up with but there were also some really nice contested catches he makes as well.  

Best rep on there was the goal line slant against Bryant.  good release to get body position, makes a good contested catch with bryant in great coverage.  

again, in the 2nd, you feel better about it.  I dont think I would trade up for him.. But i could see where we would since i know we like him alot. 

11 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I still like London, I envision a Michael Thomas type receiver who will move the chains and be a volume guy.  Paired with Moore it could be a nice combo, similar to how Thomas played off of Brandon Cooks in New Orleans.   

Anyway, I don’t think there is any doubt the Jets will addressing WR early.  

no doubt London is the better player.  That shouldnt be up for debate, i think its just if you bypass London and you want a WR with size and contested catch ability where do you go?  Watson, Pickens, and Burks who you would really have to believe can develop down the road. 

Its worth talking about all 3 really because clearly the jets are in the market for a front line big time WR.  Them being rumored to go all in on a guy like Mike Williams signals to me that they are looking for that style of player.  They also were going to be aggressive for Ridley too though who was smaller and a much better route runner than any of those guys, so who knows.