So when do we take out the Trash?

GVR once we sign LDT or other depth.  No need to rush this one.

I don’t see Mims making the team but they’ll likely see if he’s improved during camp.  Don’t see much trade value given what he put on tape last year. 

They have a $4.5M decision to make on Rankins within the next few days.  That’s when his 22 salary becomes guaranteed.  I’d say it’s in the air since we missed out on Jones last night. I personally thought he was subpar last year and his PFF ratings support this.  

• Upvote 3

After the first round of Free Agent frenzy, when do the Jets take out the Trash?

Greg Van Roten 

Savings: $3.5 million

Dead cap: $0

Ryan Griffin

Savings $3,008,706

Dead Cap $186,118

Blake Cashman

Savings: $965,000

Dead cap: $76,063

La'Mical Perine

Savings: $708,664

Dead cap: $372,672

Sheldon Rankins

Saving 5.5 million savings  

Dead cap $750,000

Jabari Zuniga

Saving $895,000

Dead Cap $0

Denzel Mims

Saving $726,027

Dead cap $755,890

Connor McGovern

Savings $9 million

Dead cap $1.33 

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I see Mims being traded at some point for a 6th or 7th round draft pick. If not, I think he stays and competes in camp.

You see this?

Can you name a single team that would even entertain this trade?

490 career yards, 0 TDs. 

He is a bust. And I'm being kind because the numbers don't even tell the whole story.

• Upvote 2

Just now, sackdance said:

You see this?

Can you name a single team that would even entertain this trade?

490 career yards, 0 TDs. 

He is a bust. And I'm being kind.

For a 6th or 7th round pick? Some team could take a chance. Pretty much all of those yards were accumulated in his first season in a completely different offense. Some team could believe he can perform for them as a deep threat or something and be willing to part with a 7th rounder. It's not a big gamble. Low risk, low reward. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

For a 6th or 7th round pick? Some team could take a chance. Pretty much all of those yards were accumulated in his first season in a completely different offense. Some team could believe he can perform for them as a deep threat or something and be willing to part with a 7th rounder. It's not a big gamble. Low risk, low reward. 

The only thing that Mims has shown is evidence that he's not really an NFL football player. Teams don't trade for that. If cut, I would imagine he'll land somewhere using the "low risk, low reward" reasoning. Even J. Polite did, but no team will trade an asset to us for him. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

This. Plus we lost Foley and i believe Rankins is now the only big bodied DT left on the roster. So, I don’t see them cutting him at this time.

They did draft Johnathan Marshall out of Arkansas last year and he flashed in the few plays he got PT: he’s definitely a penetrator 

4 things to know about new Jets DT Jonathan Marshall

1277146586.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

The Jets got bigger upfront with their last pick of the draft, selecting Arkansas defensive tackle Jonathan Marshall.

A sixth-round pick, Marshall was a four-year player at Arkansas and was an important member of the Razorbacks defense. In 34 career games, Marshall recorded 71 total tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, two forced fumbles, 1.5 sacks and one pass breakup.

Marshall will join a crowded Jets defensive line, so if he were to see any action in 2021, it would be as a backup. He’s likely a developmental pick, a prospect with a ton of raw athleticism who needs some coaching up.

With that said, let’s take a look at four things to know about the Jets’ newest defensive tackle.

Family in the NFL

1283261328-e1619903315446.jpg

(Tim Warner-Getty Images)

Marshall will be the third member of his family to play in the NFL.

Marshall’s cousin, Cedric Reed, played his college football at Texas and was with the Bills in 2015 and the Dolphins in 2016. However, the defensive end never played in a regular season game with those two teams. Reed was drafted by the Los Angeles Wildcats of the XFL in 2019 but was released once the league folded in April 2020.

Marshall is also related to the late Cedrick Hardman, who was the ninth overall pick of the 1970 NFL draft by the San Francisco 49ers. Another defensive end, Hardman played 12 years in the NFL, 10 of which were with the 49ers and two with the Raiders. Hardman was a two-time Pro Bowler (1971 and 1975) and is the 49ers all-time sacks leader with 107.

High school basketball star

USATSI_13360447.jpg

Nelson Chenault-USA TODAY Sports

Along with being a star football player at Shepherd High School, Marshall was also a phenomenal basketball player.

He was a four-year letter winner at Shepherd and earned 23-4A All-District second-team honors as a junior. He scored over 1,100 points and grabbed more than 800 rebounds for his career. He added 28 double-doubles.

Marshall was also on the track and field team and qualified for regionals in the shot put.

College recruitment

USATSI_11530113-1.jpg

Nelson Chenault-USA TODAY Sports

Marshall’s recruitment out of high school was a bit all over the place.

He received his first official offer from Oklahoma State before committing to TCU. Marshall then flipped his commitment from TCU to Oklahoma State.

However, late in Marshall’s recruitment, he had a secret visit at Arkansas. He changed his commitment once again to play for the Razorbacks.

Jets and Razorbacks

d8a5e45f7dd74ae4962c84cfcc3c21a8.jpg

(AP Photo/Michael Woods)

Marshall is only the fifth player all-time that the Jets have drafted out of Arkansas. The first was Terry Stewart in the sixth round in 1970, followed by Brison Manor in the 15th round in 1975.

The Jets then drafted Ron Faurot in the first round in 1984. Finally, New York took Nate Garner in the seventh round in 2008.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

After the first round of Free Agent frenzy, when do the Jets take out the Trash?

Greg Van Roten

Ryan Griffin

Blake Cashman

La'Mical Perine

Sheldon Rankins

Jabari Zuniga

Denzel Mims

Connor McGovern

joe has his hands on most of those guys

way to go joe

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

After the first round of Free Agent frenzy, when do the Jets take out the Trash?

Greg Van Roten

Ryan Griffin

Blake Cashman

La'Mical Perine

Sheldon Rankins

Jabari Zuniga

Denzel Mims

Connor McGovern

When we need the money and/or roster space. The fact that you're listing McGovern here is laughable, btw. But for the others - Mims, Perine, and Zuniga aren't going anywhere through training camp (they'll give them a last chance to compete for a roster spot, no downside to doing that), Rankins may or may not end up sticking for year 2, and Griffin, GVR, and Cashman probably go when a replacement is signed

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

McGovern will probably be our starting Center.  Not sure why so may folks hate him.  He struggled his first year but was good last year and has been a solid starting C most of his career.

I expect Rankins to be part of the rotation.  Only experienced DTs we have as of now are Rankins and Quinnen.  he will probably be on the 53 unless we sign and draft DTs who are ready to play now.

Mims will probably have a chance to make the team.  I expect he will be an end of training camp cut. 

As long as we are not up against the cap, there is no reason to cut anyone.  And only top 51 salaries count against the cap in the offseason.  No rush to make any cuts.

I don’t hate him but he’s expensive and looks like an upgrade candidate for that reason only - but not a panic to get it done.  

Just worth checking the C market.  

18 minutes ago, sackdance said:

The only thing that Mims has shown is evidence that he's not really an NFL football player. Teams don't trade for that. If cut, I would imagine he'll land somewhere using the "low risk, low reward" reasoning. Even J. Polite did, but no team will trade an asset to us for him. 

All it takes is one team. Bills gave up a 7th for Corey Coleman a few years ago. If no team trades for him, then he gets cut in camp if he doesn't make the team. 

The only way JD would cut McGovern is if he signs Bradley Bozeman.  Supposedly would save $9 million on the cap to use toward paying Bozeman.

To me, if JD wants McGovern gone, draft a young C to develop this year and look to make the move before next season. And no, I'm not saying take Linderbaum in the 1st round.

:-)

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I don’t hate him but he’s expensive and looks like an upgrade candidate for that reason only - but not a panic to get it done.  

Just worth checking the C market.  

Continuity is improtant to the OL, and Mcgovern is a solid player.  I expect him to be the starting C this year, and we draft a developmental guy on day 3 to potentially take over in 2023.

I guess if an oppotunity to significantly upgrade presents itself, but I don't think there are any significant enough improvements in FA this season to justify replacing McGovern.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Continuity is improtant to the OL, and Mcgovern is a solid player.  I expect him to be the starting C this year, and we draft a developmental guy on day 3 to potentially take over in 2023.

I guess if an oppotunity to significantly upgrade presents itself, but I don't think there are any significant enough improvements in FA this season to justify replacing McGovern.

We don’t know what was bad last year but even at the end of the season there were too many unblocked players coming up the middle.  

Maybe none of that was on McGovern.  If they move on, I’ll just assume he wasn’t grading well internally.   He’s one I‘ll blindly trust the team on - but he was near lots of disasters lol.  

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

Just read that the Browns released JC Tretter, so maybe JD would shift to him if he'd sign for less than they'd save with McGovern.  Still, as you say, continuity should be considered.

McGovern did get hurt and miss the last couple of games last season.  Maybe that is an issue?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

We don’t know what was bad last year but even at the end of the season there were too many unblocked players coming up the middle.  

Maybe none of that was on McGovern.  If they move on, I’ll just assume he wasn’t grading well internally.   He’s one I‘ll blindly trust the team on - but he was near lots of disasters lol.  

Dan Feeney started at C for the last two games.  Maybe you and I just disagree on how good McGovern is, which is fine.  I thnk he is a solid NFL starter.

4 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Just read that the Browns released JC Tretter, so maybe JD would shift to him if he'd sign for less than they'd save with McGovern.  Still, as you say, continuity should be considered.

McGovern did get hurt and miss the last couple of games last season.  Maybe that is an issue?

If the injury is an issue that could impact him next season, then all bets are off.  If he is healthy, I am happy rolling with him for another year.  He has been very durable through his career -- 4 games missed  in 5 seasons.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Greg Van Roten

Ryan Griffin

Blake Cashman

La'Mical Perine

Sheldon Rankins

Jabari Zuniga

Denzel Mims

Connor McGovern

So, Connor McGovern isn't trash. He is the starting center.

Jabari costs next to nothing so I don't see cutting him early. Sheldon Rankins has value.

Even Van Roten, backup guard might not be cut.  

Mims. How much would they save by cutting him? Bring him to camp and see if the story changed. But I don't see the rush in doing it early.

Ryan Griffin -- no big savings and the tight end depth chart is weak. Hope they address TE in the draft and move on from Griffin in camp.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Maxman said:

So, Connor McGovern isn't trash. He is the starting center.

Jabari costs next to nothing so I don't see cutting him early. Sheldon Rankins has value.

Even Van Roten, backup guard might not be cut.  

Mims. How much would they save by cutting him? Bring him to camp and see if the story changed. But I don't see the rush in doing it early.

Ryan Griffin -- no big savings and the tight end depth chart is weak. Hope they address TE in the draft and move on from Griffin in camp.

I’d love to replace Connor McGovern with Bradley Bozeman a younger better player.

Van Roten Is Rotten and has been terrible even since we signed him, the line dramatically improved once he was replaced.

Mims is just awful, and seems to be disliked by the staff, and looks to be a lazy from accounts. I can see him moved as part of culture change. 

Ryan Griffin is one of the terrible Tight Ends we have on the roster, if we need extra cap room I won’t be upset to see him go, we will definitely drafting a Tight End to play with C.J.

5 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Greg Van Roten

Ryan Griffin

Blake Cashman

La'Mical Perine

Sheldon Rankins

Jabari Zuniga

Denzel Mims

Connor McGovern

A number of these folks will be on the active roster on opening day.

I fear you might be disappointed.

• Sympathy 1