Jags Releasing Myles Jack

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't know if he's a scheme fit but a very good young player. 

Then why is the worst team in the NFL, who had money to spare, cutting their leading tackler?

Horrible teams don't usually cut "good young players" when trying to get gud, do they?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Then why is the worst team in the NFL, who had money to spare, cutting their leading tackler?

Horrible teams don't usually cut "good young players" when trying to get gud, do they?

They just spent something like a quarter billion on players yesterday, most of whom are being touted as being overpaid for.  Im not sure there's a whole lot of logic behind what Jacksonville does, beyond Khan trying to spend their way out of suckitude.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not sure how much money they have to spare after yesterday. 

19 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Good question. I will say that my opinion is based mostly on his college career. I haven't really seen many jags games over the years.

Nor have I.  I'm admittedly unfamiliar with the player.

But I think it's a question worth asking:  Why was he cut by the worst team in the NFL last year when money clearly wasn't an issue, and he was their best LB?

If there is a good answer, ok.  If not...

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

But I think it's a question worth asking:  Why was he cut by the worst team in the NFL last year when money clearly wasn't an issue, and he was their best LB?

Change in culture and perhaps for the betterment of the team under a new CS. Some veterans of crappy teams tend to be skeptical of buying in right away and he’s more likely on the downside of his athleticism that helped him excel - he’s entering his 7th year - at a position where he’s already considered small. 

Diminishing returns and perhaps he’s not a defensive scheme fit for Pederson.

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think the answer is, they spent all the money and now they have to get rid of people to make sure they can actually pay the rest of them.  It's the downside of the Salary Cap.  Sometimes you lose players you like because you spent too much on a 4th WR.

This would be a great signing.  He fits the saleh template for smaller faster LBs, he is very productive and has been his whole career and he knows our staff.

Jack  signed a larger contract 4 years ago and has a big number.  This is a case of new coach, fresh approach and getting rid of a big cap number.  It’s not a red flag.  He is a good football player.

We should not fall into trap of not getting guys bc they were in bad teams. I assure Jax was not so bad because of Jack.  He was a very productive member of the good jax teams a few years ago and like o said, got a new contract with a large cap number this year. 

this could be really fortuitous for us 

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mosely, Quinnen Willimas and Myles Jack.  Not a bad lb corp.  Not sure if Joe D will want to spend there and might want to give Hamseh a shot there.

But I thought you said it was obvious exactly what JD and Saleh's plan was!

31 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Change in culture and perhaps for the betterment of the team under a new CS. Some veterans of crappy teams tend to be skeptical of buying in right away and he’s more likely on the downside of his athleticism that helped him excel - he’s entering his 7th year - at a position where he’s already considered small. 

Diminishing returns and perhaps he’s not a defensive scheme fit for Pederson.

Doesn't sound like a guy I'd want.