Jags Releasing Myles Jack

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He's 26 so I'm a bit skeptical on the "on the downside of his athleticism" part of that post. 

I know some of y'all peaked in HS but we're talking about NFL players here. 

Undersized LBers, like RBs in general, tend to show their wear & tear after 5+ years in the league and their diminishing returns become quite evident rather drastically - Sam Mills and Zach Thomas being exceptions - Jack has the goods and history within the scheme and CS, but he’s not a top dollar talent anymore and I wouldn’t commit too much $$$ or years if the Jets pursued him. My 2¢

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

This would be a great signing.  He fits the saleh template for smaller faster LBs, he is very productive and has been his whole career and he knows our staff.

Jack  signed a larger contract 4 years ago and has a big number.  This is a case of new coach, fresh approach and getting rid of a big cap number.  It’s not a red flag.  He is a good football player.

We should not fall into trap of not getting guys bc they were in bad teams. I assure Jax was not so bad because of Jack.  He was a very productive member of the good jax teams a few years ago and like o said, got a new contract with a large cap number this year. 

this could be really fortuitous for us 

Like many have said here.  I'm not that familiar with Jack's play.  But if Saleh is...and wants to pursue Jack.  Then I'll trust that knowledge Saleh has of him to be an upgrade and good fit for the defense. 

Opportunities like this do happen in the frantic FA...ya know..  Hell...it's only Mar. 15th.  2022 FA...gonna be a wild ride.

Enjoy it!  

I watch his play quite often , because I often draft him on several of my fantasy teams that you play with defensive players. He is a 26 year old 6’1” and 255 lb linebacker who is a tackling machine. He is able to go sideline to sideline to stop the run. Not really sure about how coaches rate his coverage skills , because I focus my on his ability to tackle.
Jacksonville drafted him with the 5th pick in round 2 because I believe his draft stock dropped coming off an injury.
If your an NFL coach and can’t refine his playing skills to play for you, then you Should be Fired. I’ve never heard anything bad about his attitude or willingness to play. It’s my opinion to Claim him off waivers , find a way to coach him up , and sign him to an extension.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Undersized LBers, like RBs in general, tend to show their wear & tear after 5+ years in the league and their diminishing returns become quite evident rather drastically - Sam Mills and Zach Thomas being exceptions - Jack has the goods and history within the scheme and CS, but he’s not a top dollar talent anymore and I wouldn’t commit too much $$$ or years if the Jets pursued him. My 2¢

Jack is 6’1”. Mills and Thomas were 5’9” and 5’11”.

55 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Is he undersized? I thought he was like 6'2" and 250 or so. Could be wrong but I don't remember him being undersized.

9 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Jack is 6’1”. Mills and Thomas were 5’9” and 5’11”.

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Is he undersized? I thought he was like 6'2" and 250 or so. Could be wrong but I don't remember him being undersized.

I recall that was the knock on him in ‘16 and why he plummeted to the 2nd round that year when many projected him to go top 15.

I stand corrected as he’s bigger than I thought, but it does seem like he’s be a fit if he still has his speed and isn’t too costly.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

I recall that was the knock on him in ‘16 and why he plummeted to the 2nd round that year when many projected him to go top 15.

I stand corrected as he’s bigger than I thought, but it does seem like he’s be a fit if he still has his speed and isn’t too costly.

I thought the issue when he was drafted was whether he'd be a S or LB in the NFL?

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'm trying to look at his contract details and it seems overthecap.com is broken. Does that site work for anyone else or is it just dead now?

Probably just too much traffic this time of year.  It has become 'The' go to resource for every one in football.

Jason has done a tremendous job with that project.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Nor have I.  I'm admittedly unfamiliar with the player.

But I think it's a question worth asking:  Why was he cut by the worst team in the NFL last year when money clearly wasn't an issue, and he was their best LB?

If there is a good answer, ok.  If not...

Detroit traded Laken Tomlinson for nothing after drafting him in round 1. They've cut or virtually given away (for low draft picks) plenty of others who did well elsewhere. 

So Jacksonville wouldn't exactly be breaking new ground here. 

He's a cap casualty, not a guy they benched. Every team makes priority choices because they don't have unlimited cap/resources. They chose Kirk & Scherff for $40MM/year (and more). Something's gotta give. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Detroit traded Laken Tomlinson for nothing after drafting him in round 1.

That's because he wasn't terribly good for them.

He didn't become good till he got to the 49'ers.

Not an apples to apples situation.

So Jacksonville wouldn't exactly be breaking new ground here. 

No, no one in the NFL is the first at anything at this point.  Doesn't really mean much.

He's a cap casualty, not a guy they benched. Every team makes priority choices because they don't have unlimited cap/resources. They chose Kirk & Scherff for $40MM/year (and more). Something's gotta give. 

Most teams don't drop their best LB when they have a ton of cap space to spend, just to spend it elsewhere and still need a LB.

24 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

yea I mean it's an excellent site but if it doesn't work it's useless. 

Worked yesterday for me and the day before and the day before.  I've never had it not work to be honest.   And lo and behold i just went there and no issues.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That's because he wasn't terribly good for them.

He didn't become good till he got to the 49'ers.

Not an apples to apples situation.

No, no one in the NFL is the first at anything at this point.  Doesn't really mean much.

Most teams don't drop their best LB when they have a ton of cap space to spend, just to spend it elsewhere and still need a LB.

The greater point is that just because a bad team is moving on from a player doesn't make the player worthless. 

Jack has been an injury concern since before he was drafted. The last 3 seasons he missed 5, 2, and 2 starts  (on top of the games he left early). Sometimes teams make a decision and it's just a wrong one e.g. Jets going with Avery Williamson over Demario Davis.

Part of the reason some teams are bad is they do make bad decisions like that. 

Or maybe there's a personal issue between him & Lawrence and there's nothing to decide as to which one sticks. 

Or maybe there's a good reason why not, that they're keenly aware of, and that's also a good reason to stay away. I wouldn't know. 

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The greater point is that just because a bad team is moving on from a player doesn't make the player worthless. 

Oh aye, of course not.

Jack has been an injury concern since before he was drafted. The last 3 seasons he missed 5, 2, and 2 starts  (on top of the games he left early). Sometimes teams make a decision and it's just a wrong one e.g. Jets going with Avery Williamson over Demario Davis.

Fair.

Part of the reason some teams are bad is they do make bad decisions like that. 

Like us.

Or maybe there's a personal issue between him & Lawrence and there's nothing to decide as to which one sticks. 

Or maybe there's a good reason why not, that they're keenly aware of, and that's also a good reason to stay away. I wouldn't know. 

I think what I'd wanted to hear is a cogent argument for why we Jets Fans should want the Jets (another bad team who makes bad decisions) to sign the guy.

To get to that, asking why a horrible team would let their best LB go is a valid question, I think.

"They're dumb" isn't really a serious answer.  

2 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Thats what the Saints thought ...Vilma...etc

But the answer there was clear:  System Change, and New Regime didn't see him fitting in their scheme.

If that is the answer here, that's fine.  Just hadn't heard that.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

But the answer there was clear:  System Change, and New Regime didn't see him fitting in their scheme.

Fwiw, it is a new (coaching) regime. I'd be lying if I said I knew a ton about Pederson's D scheme compared to Myers, but it could certainly be a factor. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

After years of running an old Seattle-based scheme that was outdated in today's NFL, the Jaguars are shifting to more of a 3-4/4-3 scheme that in and of itself allows for a more multiple defense.Aug 3, 2021

The Jets and Niners are running that old Seattle-based scheme that was outdated in today's NFL.  That contributed to Jack having a sh*t rating in 2021.  Caldwell will be running them this year, but he has basically been running with Bowles - he was the Jets ILB coach under Bowles and Bowles runs a 3-4.  Jack was set to make over $10M which is why nobody traded for him.  They decided they would rather have Kirk and Scherff than an LB that doesn't fit their scheme.  He might be a nice pickup for the Jets.  I wouldn't break the bank, but it is a sensible want.  Quincy Williams came over last year for the same reason.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Oh aye, of course not.

Fair.

Like us.

I think what I'd wanted to hear is a cogent argument for why we Jets Fans should want the Jets (another bad team who makes bad decisions) to sign the guy.

To get to that, asking why a horrible team would let their best LB go is a valid question, I think.

"They're dumb" isn't really a serious answer.  

How about he isn't a scheme fit. Is that serious?