After signing Tomlinson: Trade down at pick #4 with an OL hungry team

I know we were all rooting for one of the QB's to light it up and become trade down bait for our #4, but that doesn't seem like it'll happen,. That being said, now that we've signed Tomlinson, I think we should be out of the OL market for pick #4 at least and the play should be to trade down for some OL needy team  that wants to grab Neal or Sticky-icky. thoughts?

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Make the pick.  Take the best Edge or DB on your board. Dare to be great. 

Mike Mayock had that strategy where he took players he liked regardless of where other teams valued that same player. Now he's fired. 

There is a fine line between taking the guy you love and foolishly taking a player at 4 when your research tells you he will still be there a few picks later. You also  have to decide if the trade offer from the team picking at 7/8/9 is offering you enough to take that chance and if there is another player you would love to get even if the guy you like at 4 gets sniped before you. 

The draft is a game of chess, not checkers. You can't just go in blindly taking the players you like the best. 

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

The Giants fit the bill

agreed, this is a great fit - with Jax tagging Robinson, they're likely out on one of the OTs - so you have to think at least one is available at #4, and the Giants NEED one of them. 

I wonder what the value chart would say to just exchanging our two picks in Rd 1 for their two picks? And if this helps us much, we'd have a great shot at grabbing one of the other top DE's with their 7.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Trade back to btwn 12-15.  Take garrett wilson at 10 and linderbaum at 15.

Then take trey mcbride at 35 and breece hall at 38.

Sign Myles Jack.

i trade down from 4 to 12 probably would yield another 2nd rounder - so I'd definitely sign up for this.

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Stay at 4 take icky or neal and trade Becton.

trading Becton at his current market value = ? but if you can find another Seattle to make a dumb trade, which is oddly one of JD's best skills, then I could get behind this.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Not sure if it's doable but I'd be fully in support of this.

I wouldn't have thought it was doable a month ago, but with Icky having a monster combine, Jax tagging Robinson, and our signing of Tomlinson, I'm seeing the path materializing.

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Im not sure how wasting a pick on DB makes you great. 

But best edge??? SIGN ME UP!! Trade way back and take a DB Im good with that all day. Trade back and take edge even better. 

If the DB turns out to be a guy we can put on the other teams best WR and he erases him, sign me up for that. 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Mike Mayock had that strategy where he took players he liked regardless of where other teams valued that same player. Now he's fired. 

There is a fine line between taking the guy you love and foolishly taking a player at 4 when your research tells you he will still be there a few picks later. You also  have to decide if the trade offer from the team picking at 7/8/9 is offering you enough to take that chance and if there is another player you would love to get even if the guy you like at 4 gets sniped before you. 

The draft is a game of chess, not checkers. You can't just go in blindly taking the players you like the best. 

And none of that has anything to do with what I said. There is going to be a defensive player available at 4 who is worth the pick. 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

And none of that has anything to do with what I said. There is going to be a defensive player available at 4 who is worth the pick. 

Actually it is exactly on point. There may be a player the Jets like sitting there at 4, but what if the Jets think/know that he would still be there at 7? You still just take the player and not take the free 2nd round pick a team behind you is offering? 
Again, this is why Mayock was fired. He just took guys "worth the pick" in his mind at 4 without considering if he could get that player later. 

1 hour ago, JazzyJet said:

I wouldn't have thought it was doable a month ago, but with Icky having a monster combine, Jax tagging Robinson, and our signing of Tomlinson, I'm seeing the path materializing.

Thats the thing. Just because Jax tagged Robinson doesn't mean they won't draft Neal and stick him for a year at G until they can start him at LT instead of re-signing Robinson. In fact, I think thats EACTLY what their plan will be. 

I'm all for trading down, but not if one of the top Pass Rushers is there at 4. Its unlikely, but if Thib is there at 4, I'm taking him and this whole trade down for an o-lineman like Ekwonu scenario becomes moot.  

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Actually it is exactly on point. There may be a player the Jets like sitting there at 4, but what if the Jets think/know that he would still be there at 7? You still just take the player and not take the free 2nd round pick a team behind you is offering? 
Again, this is why Mayock was fired. He just took guys "worth the pick" in his mind at 4 without considering if he could get that player later. 

So are you suggesting  that JD knows who the knows who the Giants and Panthers are targeting with their picks and that they are players the Jets don't  want to pick? 

Let me tell you what I think. This is one of the worst first rounds we have seen in years outside of the top 5 picks and I'm not even sure how well they would rank. Make the pick at 4 rather than take a guy at 7 this year who would have been a mid to late first rounder a year ago. 

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

OL are in very high demand, as are EDGE.   Someone will trade for 4 if the Jets do not want to take Ekwenu, Neal or Thib.  I don't think they do.  

If Ekwonu, Neal and Thib are on the board at 4- who the F goes top 3? Hutch, Walker and Cross? Are we putting Sauce and/or Hamilton in the top 3? Did Malik Willis sneak in there? What is happening?

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

Trade down…twice. 

with safety, TE,  and interior online addressed in FA, we could be looking at 2 trade backs picking up picks in the 2nd round and future 1sts. 

With the right moves we could end up with 6 picks in the first two rounds and go edge, DT, LB, TE, WR, RB in no particular order.  

40 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

If the DB turns out to be a guy we can put on the other teams best WR and he erases him, sign me up for that. 

sure but those best DBs are normally drafted later on, because of positional importance and supply. idk seems like a waste when you can get that guy little later on.

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

If Ekwonu, Neal and Thib are on the board at 4- who the F goes top 3? Hutch, Walker and Cross? Are we putting Sauce and/or Hamilton in the top 3? Did Malik Willis sneak in there? What is happening?

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

I said "or".  One of Ekwonu, Neal or Thib will be available at 4.  My guess is Thib or Neal.  

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Origen said:

I don't care who they want to draft, if they'll give up 2 1's and 2 2's they can have #4 all day.

Even before FA, I did a bunch of mocks, and everyone of them had teams wanting to trade up to 4 and 10... I old so I don't remember every trade scenario, but I was able to keep 2 1st's and add like 2 second's and 2 third's as well. I think I had like 8 picks in the first 3 rounds. That fills a bunch of holes on this team and with very decent players.

• Upvote 1

Not sure trading down to an OL hungry team works this draft.  It feels like there are a bunch of good ones that will be available (e.g. Neal, Ekwonu, Cross, Penning, Linderbaum).  Are teams going to spend a lot of draft capital to move up when they can just let the board fall to them?