Saleh - Stud Or Dud ???

THE BARON

Saleh - Stud Or Dud ???  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Is Saleh A Stud Or Dud ???

• Stud
    • Dud
    • "Efff Off Pal...

Considering it was impossible to gauge anything about the Jets last season due to the many MANY new moving parts....

I'm super curious to see what the fan's gut feeling is about Saleh.

Stud or Dud ??? 

I'm not sure how he's going to work out, but at least I like him when I hear him.  

Please vote. 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Tough to tell.

I am happy enough with his 1st year as far as being head coach goes, however his much vaunted defense stunk badly and no not just the players, we had some serious scheme issues imo.

Agree fully.  BUT.   Unlike Rex (who I loved) Saleh is working on the entire team and not just the defense like Rex did.   If Saleh focused only on the defense, would those schematic issues have been there ??? 

Dunno...

I’m not sold. He looked COMPLETELY lost at times throughout the season and he admits losing 20lbs. during the season due to the responsibilities of a new high profile job. The press ate him alive at times. I interpret that as good: dedication and bad: overwhelmed. He seems firm in his conviction in believing in the effectiveness of both offensive and defensive schemes, so there’s that; I believe that he believes in what he’s building, but he hasn’t convinced me yet.

in the end, a stupid question and poll at this point since it’s waaaaay too early in his tenure and fresh off a frustrating season. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

A bit early, ain't it?

Year 1 - Obvious Dud.

Year 2 - TBD

Future - TBD

But what is your GUT saying ??? This was a three answer multiple choice.  Gotta play by the rules.  You can always choose choice three :-) 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

Agree fully.  BUT.   Unlike Rex (who I loved) Saleh is working on the entire team and not just the defense like Rex did.   If Saleh focused only on the defense, would those schematic issues have been there ??? 

Dunno...

Rex came on board a LOADED team that choked on ‘08 and just needed some defense and a competent game-manager once That @$$hölé Favre “retired” in the winter of 2009 from the Jets.😡

• Upvote 1

I think it's clear year one was a flop. When you have a new coach you're definitely hoping for a "boost" from fresh culture and new schemes.

That said, it's still very early and it's clear that (rightly or wrongly) this administration was basically taking it as a redshirt/evaluation year. The pressure was not really on him.

I think this year will be very different. If we're 2-5 or worse at the end of October he's in trouble.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

But what is your GUT saying ??? This was a three answer multiple choice.  Gotta play by the rules.  You can always choose choice three :-) 

Not much to be honest.  I expected better, but I can understand why we didn't get it. 

My opinion, both gut and intellectual, on Saleh is just not firm as yet.

The one saving grace is that there was noticeable improvement by the rookies towards the end of the year, more so from the defensive players: Echols, Pinnock, MC2, and even Isiah Dunn became serviceable by year’s end. 

im curious to see how big of a leap the converted LBs (Namsah and Sherwood) take in year 2 to alleviate our current OLB situation.

Too early to tell. He demonstrates positive qualities though. The fact that he seems to get along with the media is a big plus. I hate the media, but they have power. This is a really big year for him and JD. They don't have to win it all, but they have to make a strong showing. An example being 8 wins (minimum), and a lot of young developing talent on display (the coaches too). They have to show that they can acquire, and develop young talent in particular.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Tough to tell.

I am happy enough with his 1st year as far as being head coach goes, however his much vaunted defense stunk badly and no not just the players, we had some serious scheme issues imo.

He doesn’t coach the defense.  

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

That’s what we refer to as the Jet Nut model around these parts.

Who’s this mythical “we”, you and a few others in the everything sucks universe?  

• Haha 1

Year 1, the team was really bad - missing NFL caliber talent everywhere, new system, rookie QB, youth everywhere...

Year 2, while not a whole lot (if any) impact type players - but there aren't really any glaring holes.  The team should, at worst, show competence.

Looking lost like last year and regularly getting blown out - would tell me Dud.

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He doesn’t coach the defense.  

Come on now you keep saying this, just how naive are you?

Rex ryan was head coach the defense was his.

Todd Bowles was head coach the defense was his.

Adam Gase was head coach the offense was his.

Robert Saleh is head coach the defense is his.

• Upvote 1

Stud.

He has been learning on the fly and got better at his job as the year went on. He also assembled a good staff and everyone seems to have bought into his philosophy. There are more ascending players on the team than I can ever remember, which I believe is an indication of good coaching.

Hopefully, this will translate into more wins.

• Upvote 1

Hes the best young coach in football.  It is a true miracle we have this man coaching this team.  We are entering what will be the best stretch of jet football this franchise has ever seen.  And its going to be sustainable and happen for 10 plus years.

Get ready jet fans!!!  Its happening!!!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Come on now you keep saying this, just how naive are you?

Rex ryan was head coach the defense was his.

Todd Bowles was head coach the defense was his.

Adam Gase was head coach the offense was his.

Robert Saleh is head coach the defense is his.

The Jets were adamant that they wanted  this HC hire to be one who’s going to be an overseer of the team and delegate to his coordinators like Tomlin, Harbaugh, Cowher etc.  They specifically said they didn’t want an OC or DC as HC sharing responsibilities.  I could care less what our or how our past HC hires ran things, this was intended to be different from the past since day 1, Gase, Bowles and Rex had nothing to do with it. 

• Upvote 2