Joe Douglas is KILLING it in FA

Douglas has had a very strong start to free agency. The players have been signed to reasonable contracts, most are starting level players, and good culture fits. 

Still, other teams have added talent. And their young players will get better as well. We still look like the 4th best team in the division. Looking forward to the draft. 

29 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Today was big for JD.  The secondary added 2, young, talented Football players.  1 of which who played in the system under coach Saleh.  The secondary has been instantly upgraded and I suppose, will be addressed in the draft as well.  Carter, Echols in year 2.  Hall in his second year in the system w/ Reed and Whitehead?  Maybe I'm being a homer but I feel all of these dudes are ascending players. 

The strength of the team was the OL and they upgraded the opposite guard spot.  They might even bring back LDT as well?  Love having that type of flexibility going into the draft. 

Uzomah is meh but he's better than what they have, unfortunately, and if they do draft a TE (which you assume they would) at least they have a veteran who can catch the ball while they break in a rookie.

And he brought back that sexy as mofo, Braxton Berrios???

Pretty freaking good so far and I doubt he's done.

People are hedging all over the place re: Uzomah and I'm not sure why.  He's a quality football player.  Not a great one, or a star, or a soon to be dominant TE, but that player was not available this FA period.  We'll address TE again, but Uzomah is a good lockerroom guy and an obvious upgrade.  There's nothing not to like about that signing in my opinion.

Probably heading towards a marriage with Trey McBride or a drafting Isiah may be Likely.  I've got nothing re: Wyndermer, sorry.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm your Huckleberry.

1. Overall, no real objections to the signings:  

• Thomlinson is an obvious O-line upgrade. I think its a massive upgrade. Could be a game-changer if Becton and Fant come back healthy and back to form. 
  • Reed is equally an obvious DB upgrade.  And young, which is good. Agree, will be interesting to see how they use him. But they still lack that alpha #1 shut-down corner, which is why I wouldn't count out Sauce in Rd.1.  
  • Uzomah, IMO, is over-rated by Jets Fans, he's basically a +30 yards/year Griffin.  We'll see. Eh, thats a bit harsh considering how awful Grifin has been lately. I mean he was a real shell of himself after his injury. I would not be surprised to see him retire. Uzomah is nowhere near that level. 
  • Whitehead is...a guy.  A young guy.  A flexible guy, it seems.  But still, not a star of any kind.  But at least he maybe takes 1st Round Safety off the list, which itself would be a big win.  Overall tho I think he's a slight downgrade from Maye. Might be a slight downgrade from Maye. Might not be a star. But he also doesn't play the same position as Maye. They don't do the same things on the field. Jets could even bring Maye back to play FS. And Whitehead seems to be able to stay healthy. Very solid signing IMO. 
  • Berrios resigning is good.  Still like him as a #4 WR/KR and trick-play guy. Agree. Although I think he will get a slightly more expanded role in the offense. 
  • Foley was just a guy too, not upset at his departure. Yup

2. WR, EDGE, RB, LB, TE, K and DB's all remain needs for the team.  Glad we have alot of picks, as EDGE, WR, LB and TE should be addressed by the end of Round 2. JD is not done in FA. I think we will see him add at least a WR and LB before the draft begins. And yes, Edge, WR, LB, TE have been the positions talked about ad nauseum by Jet fans as the ones to be addressed in the first 2 rounds. I don't think much has changed even since JDs recent FA acquisitions.  

3. With all that said, we hear the same old Rah Rah every offseason about how "JD is killing it in FA", "JD is killing it in the draft". I mean, FA and the draft is the most exciting time of the offseason. Especially for a 'bad' team. Nothing wrong with that. I also don't think its quite true. JD got a TON of flack from fans for not being able to bring in big name FAs. For being too cheap. He also got crucified when his 2020 draft did not work out. I mean, a lot of those players are still developing, and his 2021 draft looks like a home-run, but fans are already calling everyone from the 2020 draft class (except Bryce Hall) a bust. My point is fans are reactionary by nature, and maybe that was partially your point too. But a lot of that reaction is not 'rah-rah' its quite negative. 

I truly hope 2022 is the year all this supposed "killing it" actually starts resulting in Wins. 

Not an unreasonable ask IMO.

• Upvote 1

the day before free agency this place was full of fire JD threads 

and they keep moving the goal posts

first it was sign anyone, then spend more money, then sign someone decent and good, now its don't even talk to me if its not a superstar signing

jokes all around 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

You know JD feeling the pressure to win this year based on the way he's treated this offseason so far.   But I like that he hasn't made the biggest splashes.  I like the way he goes for the more under-the-radar signings (and has avoided the splashy trades).   I hope he has more in him for FA and then crushes the draft.

Just said on the Whitehead thread, a great draft and the division is between Bills/Jets IMO.

I actually think the Jets are being built very similar to the Bills, and the most important part of that is re-signing some of your own key guys rather than letting them walk.

It's interesting to see the Jags vs Jets approaches. The Jags seem to have gone for the more splashy moves and while I understand why they've done it, I do think a lot of the guys they've signed will disappoint them.

I guess the Jets will be looking for their equivalent of Chase with one of those early 1st rounders. The team is going to look radically different than last season come September. If Wilson steps up year 2 I definitely think it's between our two teams

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Drake London to the Jets at 10 

I can feel it in muh plums

plum GIF

I just worry that rookie WR's take time to develop.  And Davis, Moore and Berrios is not a particularly effective starting group of WR's...

Someone of London's size might be able to contribute more earlier.  Either way it looks like that's what it's going to be those 3 and a rookie at 10 (London works for me). 

We'll live or die with that...

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The big miss is still we are shorthanded at WR and it doesn't look like we'll be bringing in anyone to really help.

We can expect the running game and pass protection to be better which will help, and so will CJ Uzomah in the seam.

• Upvote 1

Looking at the Signings:

• Tomlinson and a practice squad/draft pick replaces GVR and Feeney
  • Uzomah replaces Griffin or Kroft
  • Reed replaces Guidry and battles Hall for CB1, the other at CB2.
  • Whitehead replaces any of the various street guys that played safety
  • Berrios replaces himself.

I like the idea of signing Maye because it is basically a 4 game salary holiday when he is suspended.  By the time he comes back there will be at least one injury.  

2 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

We can expect the running game and pass protection to be better which will help, and so will CJ Uzomah in the seam.

Yes. I get JD’s logic.  
Probably the smart move.  
Uzomah and TE at 35/38 too.  

Still. Really would have liked a legit #1. 

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Lets here from some of the naysayers on the JD topic. 

With that being said a lot of what this team does hinges on Zach Wilson and how well he can absorb what'd happening in the NFL and if he is actually capable of playing at this level . I think he has the tools theres not doubt about that, the question is does he have it upstairs. If he does and with players coming back from injury, the new players added this year and a good draft there is no reason this team should not contend for a WC spot and the following year the division. There is a lot to hope for with all the stars aligning but with all the injuries we have dealt with the last 3 + years maybe its our time to finally get a good roll.

Happy you’re happy Smash booby. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hex said:

We still have the draft for that

We have added 4 new players who will be on the team and start.  That is almost 20% new starters.

The draft will likely add at least another 4 starters.  

There will be a 40-50% turnover in new starters, and we will think we still have holes.   The draft will not be enough to give this team what it needs.  

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I'm your Huckleberry.

1. Overall, no real objections to the signings:  

• Thomlinson is an obvious O-line upgrade.
  • Reed is equally an obvious DB upgrade.  And young, which is good.  
  • Uzomah, IMO, is over-rated by Jets Fans, he's basically a +30 yards/year Griffin.  We'll see.
  • Whitehead is...a guy.  A young guy.  A flexible guy, it seems.  But still, not a star of any kind.  But at least he maybe takes 1st Round Safety off the list, which itself would be a big win.  Overall tho I think he's a slight downgrade from Maye.
  • Berrios resigning is good.  Still like him as a #4 WR/KR and trick-play guy. 
  • Foley was just a guy too, not upset at his departure.

2. WR, EDGE, RB, LB, TE, K and DB's all remain needs for the team.  Glad we have alot of picks, as EDGE, WR, LB and TE should be addressed by the end of Round 2.

3. With all that said, we hear the same old Rah Rah every offseason about how "JD is killing it in FA", "JD is killing it in the draft". 

I truly hope 2022 is the year all this supposed "killing it" actually starts resulting in Wins. 

Not an unreasonable ask IMO.

Agree overall with you, but I like the Whitehead signing. He graded better than Maye last year and he's 3 years younger. I think you can comfortably say that the secondary has been improved so far and the OL as well. 

I still think Douglas sucks and will continue to do so until the team actually posts a winning record. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Agree overall with you, but I like the Whitehead signing. He graded better than Maye last year and he's 3 years younger. I think you can comfortably say that the secondary has been improved so far and the OL as well. 

I still think Douglas sucks and will continue to do so until the team actually posts a winning record. 

If it makes folks feel better, I certainly don't dislike the signing.  Safety was a need, a young big hitter is a good thing. 

He's just sorta meh in coverage (it's the same core issue I had with Adams, actually, the era of the run-stuffer Safety is long over in the pass-happy modern NFL).  

What we need is a ballhawk Free Safety who can snag 5-8 INT's a season!!!!  Because damn we suck at INT's, and that's a big part of the modern NFL too.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

We have added 4 new players who will be on the team and start.  That is almost 20% new starters.

There will be a 40-50% turnover in new starters, and we will think we still have holes.

That says a lot about the previous years tho, doesn't it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

The Jets went from a 4 win team to a 6-7 win team. A lot to stills adress in future moves and the draft. 

Zach Wilson is the big question mark for how good we can be next year 

So..... we will battle for 3rd place? :)

Joe D is doing a good job so far BUT let's see how the draft pans out. 

24 minutes ago, varjet said:

There will be a 40-50% turnover in new starters, and we will think we still have holes.   The draft will not be enough to give this team what it needs.  

The team has way too many holes to fix in one offseason, I assumed you took that into account

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

Just said on the Whitehead thread, a great draft and the division is between Bills/Jets IMO.

I actually think the Jets are being built very similar to the Bills, and the most important part of that is re-signing some of your own key guys rather than letting them walk.

It's interesting to see the Jags vs Jets approaches. The Jags seem to have gone for the more splashy moves and while I understand why they've done it, I do think a lot of the guys they've signed will disappoint them.

I guess the Jets will be looking for their equivalent of Chase with one of those early 1st rounders. The team is going to look radically different than last season come September. If Wilson steps up year 2 I definitely think it's between our two teams

Appreciate the positive vibes. The Jets have a long way to go but, like you said, it depends on ZW stepping up in year 2.

As for the Bills, you guys look poised for a SB run again next season.   Amazing how when you draft a FQB, it turns the whole team around.  Though you guys have a great defense too (if there even is such a thing in the 2022 NFL).  I do hope the AFC East finally turns and the Pats start to struggle while the Jets rise up to the level of the Bills.  I think the Dolphins were on their way, too, until their owner started to meddle.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

So intentional or not, I think not signing Marcus Williams, Gilmore or Scherff is just better for us long term. That's a whole lot of money tied to safety, an older corner, and a oft-injured guard. My standards are low, but we've had such awful gms with bad team-building philosophies that it's nice to see that the team at least has a strong understanding of where our needs are.

It's also very evident that Saleh and JD are working well together, which cannot be understated with our previous regimes. Several guys have experience with the system already and it leaves edge, TE, WR, and LB as clear targets in the draft, which align well with our draft assets and generally where the strength of the draft is.

Probably because the Johnson Bros finally let the GM hire the HC.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Last year you had your very good teams, your losers (Jags, Lions, Jets, Houston, Panthers, Giants). And everyone else in the field was around .500 and in the hunt in December.

Hoping with this FA class, the development of last years class and all of our upcoming picks, we can enter the field with everyone else, playing around .500 ball and meaningful games in December. That’s all I ask!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I am very hopeful with these new signings. They are legit players, none of them profile as future regrets. 

I also love the way this sets up our draft strategy. Deep class at EDGE and no one position we must take at any given spot.

yes. was hoping JD had as much flexibility in the draft and looks that way so far. 

• Upvote 1