Joe Douglas is KILLING it in FA

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

The Jets went from a 4 win team to a 6-7 win team. A lot to stills adress in future moves and the draft. 

Zach Wilson is the big question mark for how good we can be next year 

A healthy Carl Lawson and Becton do that by themselves without the signings. I think after the draft we should be more in the 8-10 win category.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Appreciate the positive vibes. The Jets have a long way to go but, like you said, it depends on ZW stepping up in year 2.

As for the Bills, you guys look poised for a SB run again next season.   Amazing how when you draft a FQB, it turns the whole team around.  Though you guys have a great defense too (if there even is such a thing in the 2022 NFL).  I do hope the AFC East finally turns and the Pats start to struggle while the Jets rise up to the level of the Bills.  I think the Dolphins were on their way, too, until their owner started to meddle.  

Yeah, I don't say this because it's a Jets board, but I much prefer the Jets to the Dolphins (hate) and Pats (despise). Actually since frequenting this board regularly I don't mind the Jets at all as the fans here remind me so much of Bills fans in that they don't take themselves too seriously and know how to laugh in the face of adversity. I look at Fin Heaven now and again and those guys seriously need an enema.

The Pats main board is just weird. I actually think they're employees of Kraft based in China and each get paid 1 dollar a month to be members

• Sympathy 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Contend for a WC spot? ROFLMAO.

Can Tomlison or Uzumah stop the run or rush the passer? There are still a ton of question marks even though those two are upgrades. A lot of things need to happen for the Jets to make the playoffs, not just Zach playing well. 

Calm Down Francis .... obviously there are a lot of questions but keep in mind I stated if all goes well and we don't get hit with a rash of injuries JD is building a pretty stout team. Most of what can get us in the playoffs is in place and we still have a load of draft picks. What its really going to come down too is Zach Wilson if he can do what most thought he was capable of and pull a Josh Allen your damn right this team will be in contention for a playoff spot. When we got good QB play last year we beat the team that went to the SB and we also Beat the Titans and should have beat the Buc's.

We now have a starting corner who played really good last season in Reed and another very good player in Whitehead that means all our promising young corners will provide incredible depth at the position while fighting for the other corner spot. The OL as far as Im concerned is easily top 10 in the NFL now with the addition of Tomlinson along with very good depth as well. If Lawson comes back and we get a good young pass rusher in the draft along with another WR and RB you're going to tell me we don't have a chance or laugh at the prospect ? Honestly What kind of fan are you ?

Once again the big question is Zach but now that we have made this big splash in FA it proves this team is now going all in over the next few years to win. if Zach comes out and sh*ts the bed you may get a quicker dose of Mike White or Joe Flacco. Obviously we all want Zach to succeed but IMHO he's the biggest question we currently have Not the roster.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Lets here from some of the naysayers on the JD topic. 

Excellent start to year 3. JD addressed obvious needs in FA showing he starting to understand positional value. OG, TE, S, CB are positions that should be filled with FA or with mid-level draft picks.

I still can't understand passing on Cooper for a 4th or 5th . It seemed a no brainer In terms of helping Zach.

Now he needs to hit on at least 2 of the first 4 picks.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Calm Down Francis .... obviously there are a lot of questions but keep in mind I stated if all goes well and we don't get hit with a rash of injuries JD is building a pretty stout team. Most of what can get us in the playoffs is in place and we still have a load of draft picks. What its really going to come down too is Zach Wilson if he can do what most thought he was capable of and pull a Josh Allen your damn right this team will be in contention for a playoff spot. When we got good QB play last year we beat the team that went to the SB and we also Beat the Titans and should have beat the Buc's.

We now have a starting corner who played really good last season in Reed and another very good player in Whitehead that means all our promising young corners will provide incredible depth at the position while fighting for the other corner spot. The OL as far as Im concerned is easily top 10 in the NFL now with the addition of Tomlinson along with very good depth as well. If Lawson comes back and we get a good young pass rusher in the draft along with another WR and RB you're going to tell me we don't have a chance or laugh at the prospect ? Honestly What kind of fan are you ?

Ok, I got this far.

What kind of fan am I? One that has watched this team for the past 40 + years. I have seen this dog and poney show before. I happen to think Zach will be good next season but he is still going to have a bunch of stinkers as well. As far as Reed, when I saw we traded for him I was like "Who?' The guy is 5'9" and had his first good season last year. It's not like we just traded for Trevon Diggs. This guy is one step away from being a project. I like the Whitehead trade but that must mean Maye is gone and not so sure how big an upgrade he is over him. Uzahma and Tomlinson are both outstanding signings because they are at another level over who they are replacing.

Look, you want to get excited over this, fine, have at it, but any reasonable fan knows the playoffs are not atainable unless guys like Moore, Carter, Q, and Zach take Allen like leaps next season and guys like Mosely, Davis, and Barrios have career years and Barrios just had one. That is asking a lot. Not impossible,  but improbable  is more likely. Even if Zach puts up Rogers like numbers, it doesn't  translate  into playoffs by itself. Rogers has a solid run game, even when Jones went down Dillion stepped  in and looked like a #1 back. Also there № 2 wr is better than anyone currently  on our team, and they have a hell of a pass rush. This is what I laugh at, everyone thinks all we need is good play from Zach yet these teams that make the playoffs actually  have solid teams. We do not. When we can rush the passer consistently,  when we have WR that don't  drop easy passes, and when we have a 1200 yard RB with double digit TD's, then I will be excited and trust me, I will be. I'm just tired of rooting for hope.

• Upvote 1

They've had two good signings. Tomlinson and Reed.

The other guys are fine plug in players but as always with Jets fans they're seriously overrating them and they've been declared successful before a down is played. Same thing with Keelan Cole and Perriman the year before.

The draft is far more crucial to the future of this team as well as Zach's progress. Saleh at least has less excuses and if we're in the bottom 5 in defence next year he should be out the door. 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I just worry that rookie WR's take time to develop.  And Davis, Moore and Berrios is not a particularly effective starting group of WR's...

Someone of London's size might be able to contribute more earlier.  Either way it looks like that's what it's going to be those 3 and a rookie at 10 (London works for me). 

We'll live or die with that...

So then when is it right to draft a WR earlier — when the team has 3-4 veteran starters, all in their playing prime & proven & capable of being WR2 or better, which then relegates all rookies to the bench?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So then when is it right to draft a WR earlier — when the team has 3-4 veteran starters, all in their playing prime & proven & capable of being WR2 or better, which then relegates all rookies to the bench?

I think it's right to have a #1 WR when you bring in a rookie QB.  

So having a Cooper or a Robinson with a rookie  at 10 - would make an awful lot of sense.  Cooper/Robbinson, Moore, Davis, #10 and Berrios...And yes, Davis is gone next year and #10 hopefully takes on the #1 Mantle.  There wouldn't be any lack of reps for #10.

Now, if he was surrounded with a series of quality vet #2 type WR's- then that's better.  Right now Corey Davis, should be a third option.  We have no idea if 5'10"  Moore can stay healthy, 5'8" isn't Berrios isn't scaring anyone and whatever Vet Jag they bring in isn't either.

Add to that 5'8" Moore, a our new hold-the-fort TE....We're leaving Zach Wilson heavily undermanned.  

Yes, whatever WR we take at 10 may or may not help this year and likely TE in the 2nd - also may or not contribute much this year.  

JD hits on WR and TE then they'll be fine...but It's just a big risk rolling the dice on such an important year for ZW.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Right now Corey Davis, should be a third option.

In Tenn. Corey Davis was a very solid #1B/#2.  Injury prone, sure, but when playing, very solid.  

So other than now being with Zach instead of Tannehill, what has dropped him down all the way to a #3 in your eyes?

Feels like you're already making pre-emptive excuses for Zach for 2022.  

Wilson/Davis/Moore/Berrios/Mims is a more than adequate WR group, talent wise.  If the QB doesn't suck.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

In Tenn. Corey Davis was a very solid #1B/#2.  Injury prone, sure, but when playing, very solid.  

So other than now being with Zach instead of Tannehill, what has dropped him down all the way to a #3 in your eyes?

Wilson/Davis/Moore/Berrios/Mims is a more than adequate WR group, talent wise.  If the QB doesn't suck.

I agree with most of this post, except I think the 5th WR spot comes down to comeptition between Mims/J Smith, a vet that is not currently on the roster and maybe even a day 3 rookie.  Mims has one last chance to make the roster but he shoud be guaranteed nothing heading into camp.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What is mims?  He couldn’t stay on the field last season despite the wr injuries and the jets may draft a wr in the first round, and if not the first, the second.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree with most of this post, except I think the 5th WR spot comes down to comeptition between Mims/J Smith, a vet that is not currently on the roster and maybe even a day 3 rookie.  Mims has one last chance to make the roster but he shoud be guaranteed nothing heading into camp.

Fair.  I said it earlier today, I give Mims one last shot.  His physical gifts alone warrant it.

But no objection to strong competition from other camp invitees for his spot.

Earn it, or go home.  You know where I stand on the idea of the value of competition :) 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Stop - Tenn, reportedly,  let Davis go without even making an offer.  What does that tell you about what they thought about him?  It's not like the Jets broke the bank for him.

He's a quality 3rd option on a good team.  If you want the Jets to be a good team, that's where a player like him should be.

Please don't already start with the excuse sh*t - you're better than that.  I have an opinion on the Jets WR group and it's still a #WR short handed.

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Stop - Tenn, reportedly,  let Davis go without even making an offer.  What does that tell you about what they thought about him?  It's not like the Jets broke the bank for him.

He's a quality 3rd option on a good team.  If you want the Jets to be a good team, that's where a player like him should be.

Again, he was a more than adequate #1B/#2 on a Tenn. playoff team before he got to NY and Zach Wilson. 

That is simply a fact, and the production stats back it up.

No need to throw our players under the bus to defend poor QB play in 2021. 

I would expect Davis to rebound in 2022, if Wilson shows real improvement.  

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Please don't already start with the excuse sh*t - you're better than that.  I have an opinion on the Jets WR group and it's still a #WR short handed.

I'll repeat, Wilson/Davis/Moore/Berrios/Mims/Depth is more than adequate for any NFL QB to do well with.

If you think it isn't, it can only be a reflection of a lack of faith in Wilson's development/improvement. 

Because talent wise, it's more than enough.

15 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Excellent start to year 3. JD addressed obvious needs in FA showing he starting to understand positional value. OG, TE, S, CB are positions that should be filled with FA or with mid-level draft picks.

I still can't understand passing on Cooper for a 4th or 5th . It seemed a no brainer In terms of helping Zach.

Now he needs to hit on at least 2 of the first 4 picks.

Joe Douglas has always understood positional value. By addressing the secondary in free agency with a couple good players, he’s taking himself out of that market in the draft. 

Conversely, passing on Cooper could signal a first round WR. 

I’m hoping he’s not done getting receiving help in free agency, though. One more TE or WR would be nice, then another WR and TE in the draft. Maybe a RB somewhere along the way (don’t see the second round RB some might be hoping for, though). 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Again, he was a more than adequate #1B/#2 on a Tenn. playoff team before he got to NY and Zach Wilson. 

That is simply a fact, and the production stats back it up.

No need to throw our players under the bus to defend poor QB play in 2021. 

I would expect Davis to rebound in 2022, if Wilson shows real improvement.  

I'll repeat, Wilson/Davis/Moore/Berrios/Mims/Depth is more than adequate for any NFL QB to do well with.

If you think it isn't, it can only be a reflection of a lack of faith in Wilson's development/improvement. 

Because talent wise, it's more than enough.

This is not a good group of WR's - not yet anyway.  

Wilson - is an entire question mark that will take time to develop - plus he's 5'11"

Davis - If you want to say he's a high end NFL receiver, fine -  I think he plays small, drops far too many passes, doesn't come down with contested catches and has a hard time getting separation.    We'll just have to disagree on this one.  You think he's a #1/#2 type I simply don't agree - no point in arguing.

Moore - nNo idea if he can stay healthy, history tells us he won't - plus he's 5'10" (I'm a Moore fan, but he is what he is)

Berrios - Nice Special Team's and gadget guy - plus he's 5'8"

Mims - He won't be on the opening day roster

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Joe Douglas has always understood positional value. By addressing the secondary in free agency with a couple good players, he’s taking himself out of that market in the draft. 

I’m hoping he’s not done getting receiving help in free agency, though. One more TE or WR would be nice, then another WR and TE in the draft. Maybe a RB somewhere along the way (don’t see the second round RB some might be hoping for, though). 

I appreciate your use of deductive reasoning here.

1 minute ago, slats said:

Not dumping 15 million+ AAV into safety and not being likely to take Hamilton with a top 10 pick is just a huge thing. We have needed an edge for forever so it seems like we're set up to finally take another one with one of our first two picks.

I think day 2 so far looks to me like TE, LB, DT or another edge/WR. They are heavy into investing dline/oline if they're anything like the 49ers and really don't prioritize RB that way (nor should they really).

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

some jet fans constantly over value trash moves-the jets gm has a terrible record as gm-his entire first draft minus hall is trash-

the same that hype of Joe's picks defend his 4 win team -so far Joe is what his record says he is really really bad

Joe made on great move as a gm-the adams trade 

he also messed up not trading adams counterpart last year who walked in free agency to the saints

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is not a good group of WR's - not yet anyway.  

Wilson - is an entire question mark that will take time to develop - plus he's 5'11"

Davis - If you want to say he's a high end NFL receiver, fine -  I think he plays small, drops far too many passes, doesn't come down with contested catches and has a hard time getting separation.    We'll just have to disagree on this one.  You think he's a #1/#2 type I simply don't agree - no point in arguing.

Moore - nNo idea if he can stay healthy, history tells us he won't - plus he's 5'10" (I'm a Moore fan, but he is what he is)

Berrios - Nice Special Team's and gadget guy - plus he's 5'8"

Mims - He won't be on the opening day roster

Sorry, but you're not getting 5x of Davante Adams. :rolleyes:

That group is more than adequate

Apparently your faith in Wilson isn't.  Because this is pure pre-emptive excuse making.

One can only wonder what we'd have had to do for you to NOT think the WR's were inadequate for Wilson.....

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sorry, but you're not getting 5x of Davante Adams. :rolleyes:

That group is more than adequate

Apparently your faith in Wilson isn't.  Because this is pure pre-emptive excuse making.

One can only wonder what we'd have had to do for you to NOT think the WR's were inadequate for Wilson.....

You want to make it out to be whatever you want and that's fine. 

Add a #1 to the top of this and I like the room.  i.e. Cooper.....

You want to look for reasons to attack Zach Wilson, because that's what it sure sounds like you're doing. - so be it.  

But he's going into the season, again, lacking a legitimate NFL #1 WR.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

Well duh, of course.

But that wasn't gonna change in FA or the Draft, lol.

While that may be true, getting him a potential #1 receiver, more TE help and perhaps another running back in the draft will definitely help in that process so the draft (and FA with signing of Tomlinson and CJ) definitely can help change that. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

While that may be true, getting him a potential #1 receiver, more TE help and perhaps another running back in the draft will definitely help in that process so the draft (and FA with signing of Tomlinson and CJ) definitely can help change that. 

I'm confident we go WR at #10, TE in the 2nd (less confident, more hopeful) and RB in either FA/Late Rounds.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I question the AVT pick. Taking an OG in the top half of the first round shows he did not understand positional value with that pick. Look at LT who we just signed in FA, that's where IOL should be built along with low 2nd - 3rd round picks. I wanted a shot at a play maker with that pick.

Other than that JD has done a great job in FA filling non premium positions and setting us up for the draft.

• Upvote 1