Moses to the Ravens

9 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Is that 15 million for 3 years? How did we not offer him that?

Probably had something to do with cap space or something. Moses might have wanted to go to another team too.

There's a lot of factors going into this

• Upvote 3

The Jets need quality and talented OT depth, Becton head screwed on right or not, because the gross amount of injuries that has depleted this OLine unit over the last few years DEMANDS a better stock of OLine depth as we’ve lost starters (Becton, Fant, AVT,) for multiple games which has adversely affected the pass protection and run game. 

im willing to bet Jets draft an OT in this draft at some point. If not, they have to sign another veteran FA that becomes a cap casualty; just for the sake of depth and not hindering the offense mid season when an injury does, and it will!, occur. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

OT is still a position of need and it may also be the best selection at #4. Really like how JD is providing the team options in the draft through his free agency signings. We are in the good place.

At #4 is a bit too rich at this point. You can’t have AVT, McGovern, Tomlinson, and Becton earning top of the market dollar salaries. If the Jets go OLine at #4, which I hope they don’t, then they definitely have to flip Becton to another team. Jets can afford to draft an OT in the 2nd round or later for depth and see if he pushes or eventually replaces Becton - who at this point Is the only ? On this OLine as of now due to durability, conditioning, and scheme fit. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

At #4 is a bit too rich at this point. You can’t have AVT, McGovern, Tomlinson, and Becton earning top of the market dollar salaries. If the Jets go OLine at #4, which I hope they don’t, then they definitely have to flip Becton to another team. Jets can afford to draft an OT in the 2nd round or later for depth and see if he pushes or eventually replaces Becton - who at this point Is the only ? On this OLine as of now due to durability, conditioning, and scheme fit. 

Well reasoned and I understand the point. JD picking up Laken has altered my position here (duh, free agency having an impact on the draft). Assuming no trade back, do you go WR at #4 or EDGE? Icky may be the best value, and lowest risk, but we could easily add a quality player on OL in Round 3 or 4.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Other than those who have called fat and lazy for two seasons twice while he hasn’t been, or predict he’ll bust?

Frankly I think that over weight is a fact (or was, depending on how he shows up to camp this season) , "Lazy" is a probability but not a certainty. 

3 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

Frankly I think that over weight is a fact (or was, depending on how he shows up to camp this season) , "Lazy" is a probability but not a certainty. 

Not really, there is plenty of proof in videos he’s tweeted showing him to be working hard and not being fat.  Last year and this.  Kind of strikes out both points made by some last two season and accepted as fact by people who already, after being on the field on season a bust.

‘Lots of “facts” here

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Interesting, thanks.  He was great here last year. Thank goodness they picked him up when they did.

He was ok/fine here last year. He reliably played every game, and the team was unexpectedly desperate midway through week 1 (credibly filling a great + sudden need). He was probably a scheme mismatch, though, as he did give up a lot of pass pressure.

$5MM/year is closer to what I’d have expected (thought $7MM should’ve been his ceiling; $8MM only if there was an actual bidding war), for all the ridiculous talk about him getting a $10MM/year contract that he couldn’t earn in his mid-late 20s. 

I’d have been perfectly happy with him returning at this rate. 2nd year in the same blocking/offense he would’ve only gotten better; plus as a returning starter he’d have been an actual serious push for Becton to get his s**t together and keep it that way. A typical depth piece isn’t going to accomplish that, and the reality is 17 games is a long regular season and there’s every likelihood there’ll be no fewer than 2 games where a sub-in tackle is needed. 

On the other hand, there are better fits, probably for a bit less $, and a veteran backup tackle ideally should have the ability to play both sides. Plus I’d hate to think overcompensating for a backup RT meant more $ difficulty in extending Fant, though Douglas could’ve taken care of that by actually extending him already - if that’s what he has in mind - instead of waiting for the next wave of FA inflation to bump that by another million or two per year. 

• Upvote 2