Marcus Maye to the Saints- 3 yrs $28.5

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/saints-signing-former-jets-safety-marcus-maye-to-three-year-28-5m-deal

Saints signing former Jets safety Marcus Maye to three-year, $28.5M deal

Grant Gordon

NFL.com Digital Content Producer

From one Marcus to another goes the New Orleans Saints defensive backfield.

The Saints are signing former New York Jets safety Marcus Maye to a three-year, $28.5 million deal with $15 million guaranteed, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo, Tom Pelissero and Ian Rapoport reported.

News of the signing comes on the same day in which the Baltimore Ravens agreed to a deal with now-former Saints safety Marcus Williams

—//—-

Marcus can pay his lawyers now.

wish him well

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

Joe should have traded him when he had the chance - joe got credit for the Adams trade (rightfully so) but he missed the opportunity to move him when he had high value which was a mistake 

Because trading your one and only S in season is a smart move.  Or is it just a MMQB move to whine about after knowing he would wind up inured and missing the season

There is nothing to complain about.  Other than to complain

• Upvote 1

Maye and his agent didn’t do right by not disclosing his DUI, and as aggravating as that is, I respect him for being a bright spot during some terrible years and showing up to do his job. I felt bad for him when he went down this past year, but I’m happy for him getting a solid deal in spite of that. 

hopefully he learns from his mistakes of his DUI and has a lengthy and healthy career. 

A good deal for Maye, given the circumstances of his injury and looming suspension.

He turned down more from the Jets last season (reported $20M guaranteed) on the advice of his idiotic, unprofessional agent - who he should now fire.

Best of luck in N'Awlins, Marcus - you were a good Jet.

10 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Yeah I did not expect that good a deal for him considering all the issues. 

Jets Fans tend to think our guys suck (when they don't), and think other teams castoffs are awesome (which they mostly aren't).

Maye is better than almost anyone here at JN gives him credit.  

At least we got Whitehead, but Ashtyn Davis is still a liability IMO.

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Jets Fans tend to think our guys suck (when they don't), and think other teams castoffs are awesome (which they mostly aren't).

Maye is better than almost anyone here at JN gives him credit.  

At least we got Whitehead, but Ashtyn Davis is still a liability IMO.

Maye was an excellent safety for a long time but his heart clearly wasn't in it last season. It was pretty telling that he wasn't named a captain when he had been seen as a locker room leader previously. Ironically enough he played like a guy trying not to get hurt. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Maye was an excellent safety for a long time but his heart clearly wasn't in it last season. It was pretty telling that he wasn't named a captain when he had been seen as a locker room leader previously. Ironically enough he played like a guy trying not to get hurt. 

Human nature. 

He wanted his payday, he's a bit of a dumbass, and he'd played for a Jets team that went 5-11, 4-12, 7-9, 2-14 and was in the middle of a 4-13 season.  

It's a point I make alot that many fans vehemently disagree with, but constant losing is bad for many reasons.

Yes, you get slightly higher draft pick slots.  Fine.  

But you also break the human spirit of your players after a while, including the good ones.  

No one wants to be permanently mediocre, but it's still better than being permanently uncompetitive, hopeless and horrible and dreaming for a Grand Slam pick to save you.  Players don't care about draft pick slot.

Winning > Draft Pick Slots

• Upvote 1

Just now, Warfish said:

Human nature. 

He wanted his payday, he's a bit of a dumbass, and he'd played for a Jets team that went 5-11, 4-12, 7-9, 2-14 and was in the middle of a 4-13 season.  

It's a point I make alot that many fans vehemently disagree with, but constant losing is bad for many reasons.

But you also break the human spirit of your players after a while, including the good ones.  

No one wants to be permanently mediocre, but it's still better than being permanently horrible and dreaming for a Grand Slam pick to save you.

As well, this staff seems to shy away from players that have scrapes with the law. Compound that in that he tried to hide it from the Jets.

Not a good citizen or employee.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Human nature. 

No one wants to be permanently mediocre, but it's still better than being permanently uncompetitive, hopeless and horrible and dreaming for a Grand Slam pick to save you.  Players don't care about draft pick slot.

Oh I don't blame him at all. I think Whitehead is a significant downgrade on what Maye was before but should offer more than he did in 2021. 

I think the pick can definitely matter at least when it comes to QB so I disagree with you there. Zero chance the Bengals would have been doing what they're doing with Tua instead of Burrow. I think holding it against Jets fans who were rooting for the #1 pick when they needed a QB was foolish. Talent matters and you always want the best talents available.

When people are rooting for losses the season is long gone anyways. I doubt the Jets morale is significantly higher because we beat the Texans and Jaguars last year. I'd swap those in a heartbeat for a shot at Aidan Hutchinson.