Jump to content

Rookie Receiving Help


Recommended Posts

Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, Braxton Berrios and Garrett Wilson is a heck of a receiving core in year 2 of a ground up rebuild.  Combine that with Uzamah and McBride, we are going to have pass catchers all over the field. 
Now we just need to take Breece Hall at 38 and the rebuild of this offense is complete.
Or Garret Wilson AND Drake London ... could happen.. like 5 percent chance.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I was a big proponent of bringing in Amari Cooper because I thought that getting Zach IMMEDIATE help was the paramount when deciding what to do at that third receiver spot. I think it's all but guaranteed that we go receiver at 10. With the surface knowledge I have of the top three receivers, I think we can possibly count on one of them to contribute pretty early...for different reasons.

Garrett Wilson seems like the most pro-ready of the bunch with his polished route running, he feels like a Davante Adams type player to me.

Treylon Burks is like a a Deebo Samuel type in where you just have to get the ball in his hands and with his strength and RAC ability he can be a chain mover for you early in his career.

Drake London's size gives him the ability to be open even when he's not and like Chase Claypool, he can probably have a fairly productive rookie season.

I'm pretty encouraged by the unique skill set each of these guys bring. What do you think? Which do you prefer because we're probably getting one of them.

 

Whoever can show up day 1 of the regular season, catch balls, get YAC, keep chains moving and play all 17 games will do just fine. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, Braxton Berrios and Garrett Wilson is a heck of a receiving core in year 2 of a ground up rebuild.  Combine that with Uzamah and McBride, we are going to have pass catchers all over the field. 

Now we just need to take Breece Hall at 38 and the rebuild of this offense is complete.

You consider THAT a complete rebuild of the offense?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Wilson is the top wideout in this class, hands down.

Fans are way too obsessed with size at the position.

Wilson is already a supreme route runner who is great at creating separation.

And despite being a shade under 6’0, it’s not like the guy doesn’t know how to attack the ball at its highest point.

image.thumb.jpeg.597b0934b4b8ed375bd9f6105e5070cd.jpeg

He needs to "Stick the landing" to be considered great.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the comps.  I've watched a decent amount of the Saints over the past few years, I see London as a Michael Thomas comp.  His catch radius is huge, and catches well in traffic but isn't going to be a deep threat or create the separation needed for YAC.  More of a lanky TE type.  There's definitely value in that if that's the direction they want to go.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

What do you think? 

Wilson (at pick #10), Davis, Moore, Berrios, Mims, Some Depth Guy (BAP) or two.

I've hear Wilson comp'd to the Commander McLaurin, and if so, that's a huge win.

I think I would be comfortable with that group as being more than adequate receiving talent for Wilson to show who and what he is.

I also think I might try and convert Mims (6'3" 207 pounds) from a seemingly lost #5 WR to a #1 H-Back/Flex type of receiver, in an effort to get something out of his still-prodigious natural talents.  He's a bust, but if it's up to me, I give him one more year to see if we can get something from him.  We won't find a #5 WR with his talent anyway, and he's cheap, so why not.  Maybe last year taught him some work ethic and humility...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Atlanta is 100% taking a receiver at 8. They lost Julio, Ridley, and Gage in 1 year. Unless they sign Allen Robinson there’s no way they can’t take WR. So if we want our guy we should definitely take someone at 4, but unfortunately I can’t see us doing that. We always seem to neglect drafting weapons early but maybe times are different now.

The other possibility is that we take a guy like Christian Watson or Dotson in the second round, which I would be ok with. But I really love Wilson and London. And rookie receives come in and contribute right away these days. Look at every receiver class of the past 5 years and you’ll see guys who come in day 1 and kill it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wilson and Williams are by far my favourite prospects at the possession.

I'm always a little wary of the big bodied possession guys. I feel the separation guys transition to the NFL more reliably. I also have zero evidence to back up that assumption. 

People have called London the safest prospect when I feel he could be the boom/bust guy. He'll be a serviceable WR yeah but for how I high I see him being mocked I'd be worried he'll just be another solid #2 ala Corey Davis. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, wediditjoe said:

Atlanta is 100% taking a receiver at 8. They lost Julio, Ridley, and Gage in 1 year. Unless they sign Allen Robinson there’s no way they can’t take WR. So if we want our guy we should definitely take someone at 4, but unfortunately I can’t see us doing that. We always seem to neglect drafting weapons early but maybe times are different now.

The other possibility is that we take a guy like Christian Watson or Dotson in the second round, which I would be ok with. But I really love Wilson and London. And rookie receives come in and contribute right away these days. Look at every receiver class of the past 5 years and you’ll see guys who come in day 1 and kill it.

I’m not nearly as high on London as others.

People love to point to his contested catch rate…sure…because the guy can’t separate.

And if you can’t create separation against college kids then you’re not going to create separation against the pros.

Pretty much everything on the boundary is a 50/50 ball with him.

I could easily envision a scenario where a couple of years from now he has bulked up another 20-25 pounds and moved to TE.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can’t worry about what other teams might do, the Jets need to take care of their business. I continue to believe it’ll be Edge-WR in the first, and the free agent moves so far have not derailed that approach. If they have their top WR graded higher than their top Edge, then they should take WR first. Pretty simple. Just like they should take the Edge if he’s rated higher. 
 
If they are worried about what other teams are gonna do, then they should just go Edge at #4. Four or five Edges could easily come off the board before pick #10, whereas I don’t think more than two WRs will. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Wilson and Williams are by far my favourite prospects at the possession.

I'm always a little wary of the big bodied possession guys. I feel the separation guys transition to the NFL more reliably. I also have zero evidence to back up that assumption. 

People have called London the safest prospect when I feel he could be the boom/bust guy. He'll be a serviceable WR yeah but for how I high I see him being mocked I'd be worried he'll just be another solid #2 ala Corey Davis. 

I took a look when I was going back and forth about this in the draft forum - the only 6’3+ guy who was productive last year and didn’t also have a smaller guy eating up targets was Pittman, who was okay. The most productive big guys are downfield threats in some capacity. Mike Williams (Keenan Allen), Mike Evans (Chris Godwin), Tee Higgins (Ja’Marr Chase), DK Metcalf (Tyler Lockett), Chase Claypool (Dionte Johnson). Metcalf is the only one who has more targets than the other WR but Lockett was more productive.

Totally agree the big possession guy is overrated. Height helps, weight is more important than size, but throwing up a bunch of 50/50 balls at a guy isn’t a strategy. Even if he’s good and they’re 60/40 it’s just less efficient than throwing to someone who’s open. Defensive backs in the NFL, even if they’re shorter, are athletic with great verticals and can make plays on the ball. The illegal contact rule enforcement makes it easy enough to separate that you’re much better off finding guys who can do that.

The size becomes more valuable on those downfield throws that are lower probability anyway. Those guys are also mostly tanks. Weight is as underrated as height is overrated.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, JTJet said:

You consider THAT a complete rebuild of the offense?

QB - Zach Wilson

RB - Breece Hall, Michael Carter

WR - Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, Garrett Wilson, Braxton Berrios

TE - CJ Uzomah, Trey McBride

OL - Fant, AVT, McGovern, Tomlnson, Becton

If thats not a complete offense, I dont know what to tell you.  What else do you want to build?

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

QB - Zach Wilson

RB - Breece Hall, Michael Carter

WR - Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, Garrett Wilson, Braxton Berrios

TE - CJ Uzomah, Trey McBride

OL - Fant, AVT, McGovern, Tomlnson, Becton

If thats not a complete offense, I dont know what to tell you.  What else do you want to build?

I might prefer London at 10 for size mismatches since we already have a shifty smaller guy in Moore. But aside from that .. I'm on board. I certainly would be all over the Wilson pick if it happens. I just think we are still going edge at 4.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I disagree in labeling the situation a lock although highly possible. I still find it hard to believe that many don't think a team or two won't be itching to move up in the draft to aquire a QB. 

Must I also ask what the difference between Wilson (OSU) and Dotson (PSU)? I don't think there's much. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Like Plaxico, Lazard and Vincent Jackson? He has an incredible wing span who can high point the ball. He is more athletic than you are giving him credit for. USC played jump ball, and he won, every time. Do you know how frustrating it was to see Moore and Davis no come down with a contested ball? London out muscled, out leaped and more or less bitch slapped CBs. He compliments Moore, Braxton and Davis quite well. He would be an incredible addition to this receiving corp.

This offense values route running and YAC ability from it’s receivers above all else.

If you want a wideout who can be a red zone presence and come down with a jump ball here and there, then go sign a Cam Sims on the cheap to replace Cole. Not spend a 1st round pick on one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, wediditjoe said:

Atlanta is 100% taking a receiver at 8. They lost Julio, Ridley, and Gage in 1 year. Unless they sign Allen Robinson there’s no way they can’t take WR. So if we want our guy we should definitely take someone at 4, but unfortunately I can’t see us doing that. We always seem to neglect drafting weapons early but maybe times are different now.

The other possibility is that we take a guy like Christian Watson or Dotson in the second round, which I would be ok with. But I really love Wilson and London. And rookie receives come in and contribute right away these days. Look at every receiver class of the past 5 years and you’ll see guys who come in day 1 and kill it.

yes. no way we take a WR at 4. none of these guys are worth that. hell 10 is less likely and if you take a guy at 10 it would prob be London or Burks

 

I am still not ruling out JD pulling of a WR trade during draft or before

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

You don't believe Burks can thrive in this system, I take it.

No I don't, I would take Olave and Jameson over him. I feel Burks will struggle in the NFL. Burks is not as athletic as Deebo, will struggle with contested catches. Needs an offense to scheme him open. Olave is more of a Jarvis Landry type. Jameson can take the top off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Wilson and Williams are by far my favourite prospects at the possession.

I'm always a little wary of the big bodied possession guys. I feel the separation guys transition to the NFL more reliably. I also have zero evidence to back up that assumption. 

People have called London the safest prospect when I feel he could be the boom/bust guy. He'll be a serviceable WR yeah but for how I high I see him being mocked I'd be worried he'll just be another solid #2 ala Corey Davis. 

Corey davis is barely a solid #2. at best he's a solid 3rd option in the offense at best. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we go WR in the 1st, it has to be Wilson.  He's a the best WR in the draft, and also the best fit in our scheme.

WIlliams will need time to rehab, and we really can't afford to give him that. London has impressive size, but he can't separate and every catch is contested. That can work in college, but I have my doubts it will work in the NFL.

If it's WR in the 1st, give me Wilson.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, JTJet said:

You consider THAT a complete rebuild of the offense?

I do, doesn't mean we have a top 10 offense since that will rely on Wilson's development and the development of others.  Rebuild inherently means the FO has acquired the guys it believes will take us to the next level, maybe not this year but as they develop.

1. Wilson as our QB, looking like Flacco and White as back-ups.  I mean are you ready to write Wilson off?

2. We very well could have a top 10 Offensive line and use the draft to build some additional depth.  Yes, Becton is a concern but EVERY team has concerns.  Too early to write him off and it's tantalizing to think how he could improve off his rookie year, possibly at Right Tackle where he won't face the speed rushers.

3. WR core stated above.  I prefer London, Moore, Davis, and Berrios.  You expect all All Pros?  Moore is at least a #2, Berrios proved he could be a quality slot, Davis is a solid #2, and they'll invest in a first rounder who they believe could be a #1.  Again, that will take a little time to develop but the hope is for someone who can compliment the others and become a legit #1.  

4. Finally nabbed a starting caliber Tight End and likely targeting TE of the future in round 2.

5. We have our #1 RB in Carter and a seasoned vet in Coleman who can do some of the dirty work as our #3 (in my mind).  The draft is an ample marketplace to give us our #2.  Should be no debate there.

Again, what's missing in the rebuild?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t forget TE.  They will be adding at least a rookie TE too.

I am a believer that a receiving/pass catching corp can be very successful without a true #1.  If they Jets add say Wilson and Ruckert/McBride, they will have lineups were every player on the field is a capable threat in the passing game.  That is hard to defend. It’s like a basketball team with 5 capable scorers but no superstar.  Spreading the wealth can be very hard to defend.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This offense values route running and YAC ability from it’s receivers above all else.

If you want a wideout who can be a red zone presence and come down with a jump ball here and there, then go sign a Cam Sims on the cheap to replace Cole. Not spend a 1st round pick on one.

And Drake doesn't have YAC ability?

Drake is a match up nightmare. Hell, you put him in the slot and it's just a pitch and catch all day.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe just maybe. With Zach in year 2 of this offense.. A Healthy Davis and possibly A Healthier and more comfortable with the playbook Mims. Could be a nice surprise…I’d still want London but only if we traded out of 10 to the mid teens to grab him while picking up another pick for that swap


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Like Plaxico, Lazard and Vincent Jackson? He has an incredible wing span who can high point the ball. He is more athletic than you are giving him credit for. USC played jump ball, and he won, every time. Do you know how frustrating it was to see Moore and Davis no come down with a contested ball? London out muscled, out leaped and more or less bitch slapped CBs. He compliments Moore, Braxton and Davis quite well. He would be an incredible addition to this receiving corp.

The comparison I keep reading about is Mike Evans.  We need some touchdown makers in the red zone.  Scouting reports also say he is a deep threat with that catching radius, balance, and leaping ability.  I mean the guy played basketball at USC.  He's pretty athletic for those who don't know his story or those who haven't seen him play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Claymation said:

And Drake doesn't have YAC ability?

Drake is a match up nightmare. Hell, you put him in the slot and it's just a pitch and catch all day.

East coast bias, we are not watching the pac 12 football. Drake london is the truth 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Claymation said:

No I don't, I would take Olave and Jameson over him. I feel Burks will struggle in the NFL. Burks is not as athletic as Deebo, will struggle with contested catches. Needs an offense to scheme him open. Olave is more of a Jarvis Landry type. Jameson can take the top off.

You’re going to need to explain Olave - Landry to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The comparison I keep reading about is Mike Evans.  We need some touchdown makers in the red zone.  Scouting reports also say he is a deep threat with that catching radius, balance, and leaping ability.  I mean the guy played basketball at USC.  He's pretty athletic for those who don't know his story or those who haven't seen him play.

He is definitely not a deep threat. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...