Thoughts On Remaining FA’s (as of 3/16)

Connor tweeted that the jets are done making big moves and only depth signings will happen until May. He’s been on point with everything so far so I believe it but there’s still a lot of really good FA’s out there, especially veterans that can be brought in on short term 1 year deals. I’m usually against doing this but we’re at a point where we need to start competing for the playoffs.

Some guys I’d love to see signed, but I’m not sure if we’d be priced out after the first 2 days of spending. It seems like every team that’s over the cap (Bucs, Packers, Cowboys) are able to sign who they want through restructuring so why can’t we do the same?

1. Kyzir White / Chargers LB - saw some tweets that the jets are happy with CJ and Quincy but I’m skeptical. We def need LB help. Kyzir fits the system and is a coverage LB, which we need badly. Young and ascending player.

2. Akiem Hicks / Bears IDL - older now but still a menace. Has to be one of the most feared players in the league. Idk what his price range is but nothing would make me more hype if we got him. If we can cut Rankins and replace him with this guy I may even change my name to GoatDouglas.

3. LDT - would be great for depth

4. Cordarrelle Patterson - Zach still doesn’t have enough weapons and he was amazing last year.

5. Bozeman or Tretter - cut McGovern and replace him with one of these guys

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, wediditjoe said:

Connor tweeted that the jets are done making big moves and only depth signings will happen until May. He’s been on point with everything so far so I believe it but there’s still a lot of really good FA’s out there, especially veterans that can be brought in on short term 1 year deals. I’m usually against doing this but we’re at a point where we need to start competing for the playoffs.

Some guys I’d love to see signed, but I’m not sure if we’d be priced out after the first 2 days of spending. It seems like every team that’s over the cap (Bucs, Packers, Cowboys) are able to sign who they want through restructuring so why can’t we do the same?

1. Kyzir White / Chargers LB - saw some tweets that the jets are happy with CJ and Quincy but I’m skeptical. We def need LB help. Kyzir fits the system and is a coverage LB, which we need badly. Young and ascending player.

2. Akiem Hicks / Bears IDL - older now but still a menace. Has to be one of the most feared players in the league. Idk what his price range is but nothing would make me more hype if we got him. If we can cut Rankins and replace him with this guy I may even change my name to GoatDouglas.

3. LDT - would be great for depth

4. Cordarrelle Patterson - Zach still doesn’t have enough weapons and he was amazing last year.

5. Bozeman or Tretter - cut McGovern and replace him with one of these guys

Great post and I'm so with you on #1-4.  It will be curious to see how much cap space we still have and what we might free up (Sheldon Rankins, GVR, possibly Mims if they've seen enough).

I'm very lukewarm on #5 unless they believe McGovern doesn't give them the nastiness they desire.  I mean the guy is a top 10 center at a fair contract.  Is it worth it to shake up a position that seems to be working.  

I call BS on Jets being happy with their LBs but see this as a position they might draft in round 2, possibly double dip in round 4 or 5.  At his contract, Mosely is a prime target to be cut next offseason when the dead money goes way down to $3M.  They need real LBs, not necessarily converted safeties drafted in rounds 5&6.  The latter will serve their purpose but the run defense last year was abysmal :(.

The only miss I saw in the first wave was at DT.  They had interest in the 49er DT but he went to Denver.  Give me #2 if I can have to choose from the menu, followed by #4 and #3.

If the Jets are happy with Quincy Williams it better be because they acknowledge the mistakes he made and know they can correct them. I like the kid a lot, plays with so much energy. He had a bunch of big plays but needs consistency. Because he was also responsible for letting up several big plays.

For me on a really good team he would be a backup.

• Upvote 1

I think they are still playing the comp pick game.  I know they are "buyers" but even now they are only +1 on the formula.  They gained Uzomah, Tomlinson, Reed and Whitehead and lost Moses, Fatukasi and Maye.  If Flacco, Crowder, Davis, Cole, LDT, etc; get deals they might actually see something.  That may cause them to sign guys that have been cut (Jack) or wait until after the May date when players no longer count.  A guy like Tarik Cohen coming off an injury might be valuable, but sign late.

• Upvote 1

Tarik Cohen would be interesting. I like him if they can get him for cheap. The RB room might be set with Carter, Ty, Coleman and maybe they look to draft a guy in mid rounds. I wouldn’t hate it at all. I just like Patterson bc he can play WR also.

As far as center, apparently they were interested in Jensen so I think they do want to upgrade. At first I didn’t love the idea, then I realized how important it is for ZW to have a general on the field calling out protections and everything else. Is that McG? I have no idea tbh. McG graded out well as a blocker, but maybe he’s lacking in the other areas of the position. And I agree, adding some nastiness would be nice!

35 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think they are still playing the comp pick game.  I know they are "buyers" but even now they are only +1 on the formula.  They gained Uzomah, Tomlinson, Reed and Whitehead and lost Moses, Fatukasi and Maye.  If Flacco, Crowder, Davis, Cole, LDT, etc; get deals they might actually see something.  That may cause them to sign guys that have been cut (Jack) or wait until after the May date when players no longer count.  A guy like Tarik Cohen coming off an injury might be valuable, but sign late.

I think only Crowder, Davis, and Cole would count but I was wondering about this as well.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Jets should go after Chandler Jones to keep him from landing with the Patriots/Bills. I really don't want to see Chandler Jones back in our division unless he's on the Jets that is. 

Would love it but I think they’re priced out at this point. I wouldn’t mind some vets like Ingram or Jerry Hughes but they might be better suited as 3-4 olb’s.

25 minutes ago, derp said:

I think only Crowder, Davis, and Cole would count but I was wondering about this as well.

The whole formula is a bit of a mystery to me.  I know snap counts mean something.  LDT played 35% of the offensive snaps.  Cole played more than Crowder at over 50% of the snaps.  Guys they signed back might be indicative of not qualifying.  Shepherd played 40%, Coleman 16%, Bawden 5% and Joyner less than one.   They are talking about bringing Flacco back and he played only 6%. Davis only played 17% or so, but he played another 100 snaps on specials.