Imagine if we draft Thibs and Jordan Davis?

4 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Alright now hear me out. Draft Thibs and Davis at 4 and 10, and then we trade UP to the 20s or wherever to draft either Lloyd or Dean. How ridiculous would the defense be if we added those 3 guys?

From worst in franchise history all the way to 21st ranked!  Progress!

Only 8 more 1st round picks on Defense, and we'll have a SUPER UNIT!

• Haha 1

Just now, Warfish said:

I mean the offense only needs a WR. And that doesn’t mean we need to spend pick 10 on it. They can still sign one or trade for one. Meanwhile this draft is loaded with top tier defensive talent. Might as well stack up as many of these guys as we can get. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean the offense only needs a WR. And that doesn’t mean we need to spend pick 10 on it. They can still sign one or trade for one. Meanwhile this draft is loaded with top tier defensive talent. Might as well stack up as many of these guys as we can get. 

Isn't how I'd run the team, but you're entitled to your opinions. 

Just feels like a "win the draft", not a "win more games" mindset.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Isn't how I'd run the team, but you're entitled to your opinions. 

Just feels like a "win the draft", not a "win more games" mindset.

Have you listened to Saleh and Douglas speak about how they want to build the team? All they keep saying is “win the trenches”, and you build the team from “inside out”. So don’t be surprised if both picks are used to stack the defensive line instead of a WR. Should be interesting tho! 

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I did a simulation and this is what I got with my first 4 picks. No trades. For the record- I think we can move down from 10 and still get Davis if we were targeting him. 

I think we can still get a nice LB prospect in Rd. 3 and address other needs later on so this is really not bad. We get McBride (a fan favorite) and Watson- a very solid WR prospect who is almost certain to slide to Rd. 2. 

4. Kayvon Thibodeaux- Edge

10. Jordan Davis- DT

35. Trey McBride- TE

38. Christian Watson- WR

I've had the same exact round 2 so I think we're going D with 4 and 10 (unless they grab another OT there).

Any concerns that Thib might be a diva/headcase?

14 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Have you listened to Saleh and Douglas speak about how they want to build the team? All they keep saying is “win the trenches”, and you build the team from “inside out”. So don’t be surprised if both picks are used to stack the defensive line instead of a WR. Should be interesting tho! 

My friend, I've been saying "Wining starts in the Trenches" for literal decades on these various forums.  It's a mantra I believe in.

The mantra I don't believe in, at all, is "Defense Wins Championships".

To be clear, I won't in any way be surprised if Saleh and JD go DT, EDGE, LB, CB in those first four picks, or some variation on that theme.  Little the Jets do, especially involving drafting defense, surprises me these days, lol.

I'd perhaps push back on it being interesting, fielding yet another young-QB led, talent deficient Offense cruising to a late 20's finish in the O rankings, whilst losing by 3 or 7 every week with a middle-ranked Defense that falls short when it matters.....isn't what I'd call interesting.  Seen that movie more than once here in NY.

With that said, we have alot of folks here who seem to think the best WR's, like Mims, all come later, so sure, draft a WR in the third, or fourth even, 15th best prospect, maybe 20th best, why not. 

It worked once somewhere, so surely it'll work for us, lol.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No we won't.  Most of the 8 picks won't reach their potential.  And if one plays well and we re-sign him, he'll play like a dog.

51 minutes ago, Larz said:

Why ?

LB at 10 that is terrible value. You can get that guy in the second round. or much later in first. A top 10 pick should be a premium position and should be a guy that you can pay a top dollar contract too to extend where you want to spend money. LB is not that place and neither is CB in our system.

So we use two top 10 picks on one player.  One run stuffer that you take out on 3rd down and one edge guy that you bring in on 3rd down.

And this defenses mode is rotation. 

Snap counts last year on defense:

Rankins 53.9%

Quinnen 51.6%

Fatusaki 46.9%

I want to invest top 10 picks on players that are on the field most of the time. 

• Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I did a simulation and this is what I got with my first 4 picks. No trades. For the record- I think we can move down from 10 and still get Davis if we were targeting him. 

I think we can still get a nice LB prospect in Rd. 3 and address other needs later on so this is really not bad. We get McBride (a fan favorite) and Watson- a very solid WR prospect who is almost certain to slide to Rd. 2. 

10. Jordan Davis- DT

35. Trey McBride- TE

38. Christian Watson- WR

Switch Travon Walker for Kayvon .   I do not trust Kayvon.    But i still am trying to figure where JD finds a offensive tackle.  With Fant on the last year of his deal and Becton a question mark, does he grab a top flight tackle in round 1 or grab one of the second tier tackles at the top of round 2.  I cant see JD ignoring the tackle position

34 minutes ago, PepPep said:

10. Jordan Davis- DT

35. Trey McBride- TE

38. Christian Watson- WR

erection GIF

28 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Any concerns that Thib might be a diva/headcase?

As a fan, with no REAL insider information, I have no idea what KT's personality is off the field. It's the job of Jets scouts and GM to do their due diligence to figure that out. I DO know he is the most talented pass rusher in this draft class, and if he is there at 4, based on his abilities on the field and upside, I am not passing on him.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

LB at 10 that is terrible value. You can get that guy in the second round. or much later in first. A top 10 pick should be a premium position and should be a guy that you can pay a top dollar contract too to extend where you want to spend money. LB is not that place and neither is CB in our system.

Lol

the big Davis

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

My friend, I've been saying "Wining starts in the Trenches" for literal decades on these various forums.  It's a mantra I believe in.

The mantra I don't believe in, at all, is "Defense Wins Championships".

To be clear, I won't in any way be surprised if Saleh and JD go DT, EDGE, LB, CB in those first four picks, or some variation on that theme.  Little the Jets do, especially involving drafting defense, surprises me these days, lol.

I'd perhaps push back on it being interesting, fielding yet another young-QB led, talent deficient Offense cruising to a late 20's finish in the O rankings, whilst losing by 3 or 7 every week with a middle-ranked Defense that falls short when it matters.....isn't what I'd call interesting.  Seen that movie more than once here in NY.

With that said, we have alot of folks here who seem to think the best WR's, like Mims, all come later, so sure, draft a WR in the third, or fourth even, 15th best prospect, maybe 20th best, why not. 

It worked once somewhere, so surely it'll work for us, lol.  

It doesn't anymore but it used to.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

So we use two top 10 picks on one player.  One run stuffer that you take out on 3rd down and one edge guy that you bring in on 3rd down.

Rankins 53.9%

Quinnen 51.6%

Fatusaki 46.9%

I want to invest top 10 picks on players that are on the field most of the time. 

Jordan Davis also provides no pass rush. He also only played 40% of plays this season. The Alabama game plan was to keep Jordan Davis in the game for longer stretches of time. Davis is a freak but his size is on the wrong end of diminishing returns. 

I’d still take him if he fell to 34.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Larz said:

So how do you fix the defense?

I get the pass rush emphasis, but I'm okay with Q and JFM inside, Lawson and TBD on the edges.  I just want to see a LB who can cover a RB on a simple check down and hold him to under 10+ yds a reception.  It was just too easy last year...

I might, after this FA period and seeing what JD added, think the draft might fall out as Edge/DL at #4 and #10, then WR/TE in round two. I'd really like to supplement that strategy with a trade back from four into the teens - same priorities - then add another WR or even a RB with whatever extra pick is acquired in such a swap. If the pick added would be higher next year, I'd still make that trade, and double up on WR in round three if that's where there is value. Let's hope there's a team enamored with somebody we don't fancy when we hit the clock for #4.

I would not be surprised to see JD try to add talent by trade after teams start contemplating their cuts after the draft to get down their cap and trim rosters, and there's also a spate of bodies coming free after camp has started. You know they've got all sorts of data on who is at risk of getting cut due to cap constraints, and the intentions of all teams will be further clarified once everyone's draft choices have been made.

IMHO it's premature to judge the offseason until after the last cuts before the opener are made: lots of strange stuff can happen on other squads between now and then. There's always that stretch between mini-camp and training camp where players just can't contain themselves, and go out and get into fights, commit felonies, drive drunk, beat their spouses, etc. - all which might present opportunities for JD to extort other clubs. 

Of course, none of our players will get into trouble ... ?  because we are picking model citizens now ... ? 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

Switch Travon Walker for Kayvon 

Nope. Thib over Walker IMO.

Listen, if the rumors about Thib. having bad work ethic are true and he ends up being a bust, sure i'll eat my words. But right now, its all just rumors. I have absolutely no reason to put Walker ahead of Thib. as a pass rusher. Thib is simply the better pass rush prospect. He is more explosive, he has more moves, he's better off the edge, he has the better resume, to me (even though they are different- KT has better tape to boot).

Don't get me wrong, Walker is great. He blew up the combine and his stock soared. He played on a championship defense. He's versatile. An athletic freak. But Thib is just a better prospect and I'm not taking Walker or Thib. unless there are some real red flags I'm certain of. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I get the pass rush emphasis, but I'm okay with Q and JFM inside, Lawson and TBD on the edges.  I just want to see a LB who can cover a RB on a simple check down and hold him to under 10+ yds a reception.  It was just too easy last year...

You know the impact of keeping guards off of the linebackers, right?

Saleh like to rotate 8 guys. Q played like 50% of the snaps last year. 

Davis is a real possibility 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

alot of really great WR have been drafted in the second round...I wouldnt mind this at all.

very true - and this year even more so than past years the receivers taken in round one or two from what the 'experts' are saying, may be style preference since ability levels are so close. The top receiver taken in the draft could very well go in the second round as have so many times in the past. If we go Thibs/DT or Sauce/Edge I could see us going WR/TE for the two second round picks. I would be fine with that. Maybe even move up a bit for the WR. Jets will not take a LB with a premium pick IMO - not valued as much. 

The bottom line is this regime lives, dies, or thrives by Zach Wilson. Giving him Davis, Moore, and Berrios as the top 3 receiving options most likely wont cut it, especially if everyone gets the injury bug like last year. With our needs, and the way the current NFL market looks it's essential that we get a top flight receiver if possible. 

Our D-line may have some holes, but taking a swing at getting your highly touted QB prospect heading into a crucial season a #1 receiver will always take priority over a DT. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Rankins 53.9%

Quinnen 51.6%

Fatusaki 46.9%

I wish I could highlight your last sentence.  That spells Hutch, Walker. Or J.J. with that 4th pick. What other player at #4. Could we draft there. Hamilton.  Not now. At least I don't think so. 

• Upvote 1