Joe D, his philosophy - dragging us into a respectable org like the Ravens

8 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

We all know his history, how he learned in BAL etc, we have all seen the contracts he has signed etc. I thought it was just remarkable to see us lose out on M Williams or see Moses sign elsewhere. But it is a a stark reminder of where we want to be. M Williams was not signing with the NY Jets at that price, nor Moses at that price - regardless if we offered that money or not.

Joe offers guys what he thinks they are valued not what the market says they are worth and not a cent more. He doesn't pay the crappy team tax like so many before him have. By sticking to his guns with players he might lose out on so called top guys but he is building something more than just a good roster the right way. He is building a foundation for future negotiations and a reputation.

For every so called home run FA that wants top money, we have lost out on them in recent years because of cost. But we ahve also avoided the big over priced busts of years past. Look what Macc did with Mosely - just kept adding money till the ravens wouldn't, nor any team would match. Players used Macc and Jets GM's before him to inflate their contract offers with out ever having any intention to sign in NY. Years of that led to Mosely, Johnson, Bell  or guys like Barr etc...we just give out a little extra cash cause we needed that guy right? No we didn't need that guy and that is how our became so bad on top of bad drafts. Thanks to multiple seasons of Joe those days are gone and we are seeing the fruits of those efforts today with our recent S, TE and CB signings, 

M Williams was not coming here for that contract - it would've take the MAC approach of over paying him even more, and Williams would have been all to happy to entertain desperate offers to jack up him contract with where he ended up going. The jets are no longer that team used to bump up negotiations and i think overall we are all happy with that. 

Then there is a guy like Moses and when he signed in Baltimore it didn't sound too outrageous, i mean why didn't Joe keep him a Jet at that reasonable price? I think that is because Moses would have never signed that offer if it were from NY. 

This might be the first off season where our fans are happy with this approach. It has been like this since Joe's first day but the team was so bad we felt like we needed that flashy new toy, but slow and steady was always is best way to build a winner. The Ravens are a winner and they can offer and get a discount for players compared to worse teams. That is not because of Ray Lewis and our retuning QB joe Flacco super bowl years ago, It is because of years of good GM actions/negotiations and drafts including up to last year. 

We are not there yet but we are only a winning season away from becoming that team players use bad teams to try to negotiate their deals with us. Ok well maybe a couple winning seasons, but thanks to Joe we are slowly being dragged out of the hole years of bad decisions got us into.

I just said ravens because we saw them be the team this year that got a top guy that we did not chase after and the team that we lost a guy to. Neither one was going to take the Jets offer. But this could be any good team.

great post

so does this mean you are finally excepting scrubs like Berrios on your team LMAO

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

This is the type of offseason we were promised. Signing that take realities into account and sign quality, mid-tier free agents while attempting to acquire expensive positions in the draft. The use of what seems to be analytics telling you to get TEs cheap in FA and draft Pass Rushers, Wide Receivers, and corner that get utterly massive contracts via the draft. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

respect your opinion, and you're a great poster. Just want to put something in perspective that may give some of the negative JD posters food for thought.

The first time you do something, are you great at it?  Most aren't and need to learn from their mistakes, or even grow into a job. JD certainly isn't perfect, no GM is. Most of us on here were giving him good marks for his 2021 draft, up until rnd 3 and 4 with Polite, and Captain Morgan, and we certainly praised Hall in rnd 5. Some even gave him props for trading down in rnd 2 and still getting a receiver like Mims. Did we have a crystal ball that knew Becton would get hurt, or Mims would turn out to be crap so far. No, but there is still a wait and see for at least Becton. Nobody knows if GASE was pounding the table for any of those picks. While I might believe that, that's not the point. The point I'm making is that while he learned some of his craft in good organizations, he still wasn't the one making the decisions, so it would be nice to give him a pass on that draft, like learning geometry (because I sucked at it) the first time you went to HS. He's shown an uncanny ability in his trading skills, and while his first FAgency wasn't the best, I'm betting he had a plan in mind to get us to a point were we could actually make picks in FA, like he's done this year and a few good ones last year with money in the bank. I'm sick of losing too, but to me this is the first GM we've had here in a long time that actually seems like he knows what he's doing after his first year on the job. For that I'll give him a chance to remake this team. Like I said in a previous post, it's up to the coaches now to get us over the hump. If he has another draft like last year, there's no reason we shouldn't win between 7-9 games. The only team in the East that we probably won't win at least one game from would be the Bills. I really think we go 1-1 with NE, or 2-0, and could be 2-0 against the Phins. That's progress right there. Just my opinion.

This isn’t HS sports… he went out on a limb taking Becton over Wirfs.  NO pre draft ranking had Becton over Wirfs so I am not as forgiving.  It’s just so Jetsy.  But he is improving…….  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No one’s happy about year 2, but Gholston?

Gholston almost never played, save a 4-game stretch when filling in during a suspension. He never earned his way onto the field for his whole career.

Becton had a solid rookie season - particularly for a young + raw prospect - at LT; plus one cringy-press summer followed by essentially a totally-missed season, which itself was catapulted by a fluke injury.

Gholston had 0 good seasons out of a lifetime. Becton’s had 1 good season out of 2, and the HC hasn’t ruled out that he could regain his starting LT job (he’s merely said it’s not just getting handed back to him after the season Fant had).

Becton was good year 1. Gholston was never good ever. I get the frustration with him, but they’re not even close to the same. 

Problem with message boards is everything is taken literally.   Yes i agree with you.   But you get my point.    

I like the moves so far and I think he is doing a good job with FA this year.   Ultimately he should be judged by the product on the field and the results.  Sometimes (many times) you get what you pay for and there is a reason the top flight FA get top dollar.  I agree with not overpaying, but there is a balance.  If you consistently get JAG players in FA, the results will show.  Only a few coaches in history can take an average talented team and go all the way.  Let’s see the results this upcoming year before giving him accolades or roasting him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

This isn’t HS sports… he went out on a limb taking Becton over Wirfs.  NO pre draft ranking had Becton over Wirfs so I am not as forgiving.  It’s just so Jetsy.  But he is improving…….  

You're entitled to you opinion just like me, but I think you're wrong. We didn't need a RT at the time we were drafting in 2021. We needed a LT, and while Wirfs might be the better player so far, that's not the position JD was drafting for. Also, Wirfs went to a team that had much of thier OL already established. Ours was a SH$Tshow from the beginning of JD's tenure. Touch to build an entire line with the players you want from the draft and FA when you grew up in organizations that didn't use FA that way, and only one draft in 2021.

How's the golf game?  I just had bunion surgery on my right foot in middle of Feb, and left foot 2 weeks after that, so I've been inside for the last month. Got to go to physical therapy next week for my first visit, so hopefully will be back out on the course soon... Hit em straight !!!

15 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

This is to much ball washing for me. We have sucked under his tenure so far BUT

If we develop into a contender I will happily eat crow. When the wins start coming I’m getting on the JD train 

Poor guy, so ready to blast your favorite target after weeks or predicting JD wouldnt do anything.

• Upvote 1

Its just amazing that by all accounts JD killed it in FA this year but the same group of people who anyone who spends any time here knew who would come back complaining, can come in complaining about what JD did, not about how many holes he addressed, how much bang he got for the buck.  The same people who said FAs wont sign here.  They'd rather list the season records as if they have absolutely no clue that JD tore this team down and sacrificed W's & L's to get to this point.  Couldn't see the plan if it were printed up and put in front of their faces.  Numbers are it, as if it a vacuum.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

u to play to win the games that is it and the more wins you are the better you are at your job-you dont get participation or hope trophies-win some games then crown him. I will help  pay for the parade but until then accept the reality that we are in-yes I am bitter as I have paid a few hundred k over the years to watch trash and one trashman replaced by another-until Joe's team gets to over 500 he deserves nothing as far as praise goes.

parcells gave reason for hope he had done it before-by the end of his second year his 1-15 team was competing for a championship-Joe has like 6 wins the last two years combined and folks crowing about his plan and the job he has done-he best hope wilson does not bust out like becton or mims

6 minutes ago, kmnj said:

parcells gave reason for hope he had done it before-by the end of his second year his 1-15 team was competing for a championship-Joe has like 6 wins the last two years combined and folks crowing about his plan and the job he has done-he best hope wilson does not bust out like becton or mims

Help is available
Speak with someone today
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, kmnj said:

I don't grade my contractor on what the house looks like during demolition, and I don't grade him when he puts up the walls and the sheetrock isn't taped or painted. I do grade the previous contractor who tried putting lipstick on a pig. 

JD had a plan and it is working out exactly the way we thought it would. How the hell are you complaining about this?

• Upvote 1

I feel like most of these points have been discussed ad nauseum and nobody is changing their minds at this juncture but:

• Clearly his "process" is great
  • Values premium positions
  • Accumulates assets
  • Has a fantastic record with trades
  • Has a smart, measured approach to FA

Results are more of a mixed bag. FA has been hit or miss, although injuries have been a major factor there. 2020 Draft looks like a mess. 2021 draft much more promising.

The hope, for sure, is that Gase and the pandemic were two factors that hurt the 2020 draft and that 2021 (with a fully in sync, integrated coaching staff and FO) is closer to what we're going to see on a go forward.

At the end of the day his legacy will likely be defined by Zach Wilson, however. If Wilson busts it's unlikely we turn it around and he gets a second shot at it. If Wilson ends up being good (or really even if he ends up being decent) he'll get enough years to really see if he can build this franchise into something good.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I feel like most of these points have been discussed ad nauseum and nobody is changing their minds at this juncture but:

• Clearly his "process" is great
  • Values premium positions
  • Accumulates assets
  • Has a fantastic record with trades
  • Has a smart, measured approach to FA

Results are more of a mixed bag. FA has been hit or miss, although injuries have been a major factor there. 2020 Draft looks like a mess. 2021 draft much more promising.

The hope, for sure, is that Gase and the pandemic were two factors that hurt the 2020 draft and that 2021 (with a fully in sync, integrated coaching staff and FO) is closer to what we're going to see on a go forward.

At the end of the day his legacy will likely be defined by Zach Wilson, however. If Wilson busts it's unlikely we turn it around and he gets a second shot at it. If Wilson ends up being good (or really even if he ends up being decent) he'll get enough years to really see if he can build this franchise into something good.

All very true. But what do we talk about on March 17, before tipoff?

• Upvote 2

I'm loving this free agency and I've loved JD's approach as it is the antithesis of how we've operated since forever. 

Now...having said that...JD needs to nail this draft like he did last years. If its another 2020 draft then all of these good value signings won't produce wins for us long term.

These free agent signings are good, necessary, value pieces to a winning team. But we need that young-deciding factor-homegrown-drafted-difference making talent to put us over the edge.

So A+ free agency but he needs an A+ draft to = an A+ offseason. 

• Upvote 1