Jets sign TE Conklin

3 minutes ago, docdhc said:

I missed the 21M 3 years. We have to be out of cap space 

The deal is probably structured so the hit is only $4M - $5M.  Cut Griffin and we save $3M, and since only top 51 salaries count against the offseason cap, another guy drops out of the calculation.  This deal may not have much of an impact on the cap at all, if Griffin is cut loose.

• Sympathy 1

On 3/16/2022 at 4:56 PM, FidelioJet said:

Now I wonder if TE in the second is out. 

Probably. Wouldn’t mind a TE at 69 though. Maybe a Ruckert?

Amazingly, this is suddenly a somewhat crowded position on the depth chart.

2 legit starters signed in Uzomah and Conklin. 1 “hold the fort“ guy still under contract in Griffin. 2 developmental guys in Yeboah and Cager.

This signing is a tiny bit surprising only in that TE seems to be relatively deep in this Draft. With our picks I thought getting one of the top two or three guys in the Draft might be a smart idea. Younger, cheaper.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Same here. JD has obviously been building his rainy day fund. The dude finally opened the front door and said, “Screw it! I’ll be the one to make it rain.“ lol

What we are seeing from JD is what a 6-27 record will do. One can only survive so long overseeing a horrendus team. He knows it 

• Haha 1

Many of us thought the double dip at TE would be in the draft. It turned out it was during free agency. A bit surprising to me but what do I know? Glad that a major deficiency has now been turned into what is probably a slightly above average group.

I’m really starting to think about the implications for our draft. I think some folks will like it, some may not. Put it this way, WR is still wide open. Likely a big draft target. But also, to this point, we haven’t done anything in the front 7 except say goodbye to Kyle Phillips, Foley, Cashman, etc. We resigned Nathan Shepardson. What does that tell you?

Do with this information what you will! My guess…. DL and LB incoming!!!! #NFLDraft

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

Man the New York Jets have 2 legit starting caliber tight ends? Let’s go!

We just need that WR1… A Rob would set this offense up with no holes heading into camp

Forget that guy!  If JD wanted him he would have kept him and given him a contract.  Jets will get our WR(s) in the draft.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

What we are seeing from JD is what a 6-27 record will do. One can only survive so long overseeing a horrendus team. He knows it 

Fair enough. But this has been a team in transition. JD has not been a GM here all that long, but he is on his second quarterback and second HC. He needs to understand these guys well and then mold the team around them. Imagine if he had gone big in 2020 thinking that Darnold and Gase were entrenched!

He has obviously been accumulating draft capital and Cap space for the point in time when he understands the direction he needs to take. Saleh and Wilson aren’t going anywhere soon. Even if they simply tread water, they are here through the end of 2023. That means the purging is over and the acquisition is beginning.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

What you are seeing is a GM signing solid players to reasonable contracts.  Not panicking because of a record only miserable jet fans are focused on and overpaying name players.

When its all said and done, Joe Douglas will be on the Mt Rushmore of NY Jets.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What you are seeing is a GM signing solid players to reasonable contracts.  Not panicking because of a record only miserable jet fans are focused on and overpaying name players.

When its all said and done, Joe Douglas will be on the Mt Rushmore of NY Jets.

Who you calling miserable????  ?

54 minutes ago, football guy said:

Probably. It's also possible the Jets draft only 1 TE and keep one of Bawden or Wesco, but people close to the organization have been saying they've been looking for an TE/HB hybrid to serve the "Kyle Jusczcyk" role for a while now. They wanted him in FA, then they targeted Tommy Tremble, now this. Agents thought it would be Ricard because his agents have been saying he's going to be more of a TE/HB and sign with a team who would use him in such way, but I think everyone overlooked Conklin, who was a TE/HB/FB for the Vikings when they ran the Shanahan offense. 

Daniel Bellinger szn.

22 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Probably. Wouldn’t mind a TE at 68 though. Maybe a Ruckert?

2 legit starters signed in Uzomah and Conklin. 1 “hold the fort“ guy still under contract in Griffin. 2 developmental guys in Yeboah and Cager.

This signing is a tiny bit surprising only in that TE seems to be relatively deep in this Draft. With our picks I thought getting one of the top two or three guys in the Draft might be a smart idea. Younger, cheaper.

I love Ruckert, was rated the number two TE out of HS. Very natural hands

and has the frame & the attitude to be a fine blocker

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Many of us thought the double dip at TE would be in the draft. It turned out it was during free agency. A bit surprising to me but what do I know? Glad that a major deficiency has now been turned into what is probably a slightly above average group.

I’m really starting to think about the implications for our draft. I think some folks will like it, some may not. Put it this way, WR is still wide open. Likely a big draft target. But also, to this point, we haven’t done anything in the front 7 except say goodbye to Kyle Phillips, Foley, Cashman, etc. We resigned Nathan Shepardson. What does that tell you?

Do with this information what you will! My guess…. DL and LB incoming!!!! #NFLDraft

i have a feeling we will be targeting some LB's and that would make me very happy

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, fullblast said:

Feel like TE is still very much on the table for day 2 or 3, but now they won't feel as pressured to take one. And whoever they do draft won't need to contribute immediately, which is usually a lot to ask of a rookie TE.

Maybe on Day 3, certainly not within Rounds 2 or 3.

If someone like Ruckert or Otton is there in Round 4, then sure. Go ahead and take them if you will.

But people have gone batsh*t insane if they still think we’re going to take a guy like McBride in the Top 40.

Not happening

This signing tells me. Our 2nd rd pick will be a tackle. Moses signs for 5 mill a year. To let him go at that price tells me, he had his eye on someone early on in the draft. Can't be counting on Becton staying healtjy, or McDermott as the swing tackle.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Probably. Wouldn’t mind a TE at 68 though. Maybe a Ruckert?

Most TEs don’t find their way until year 3.  

ZW needed a TE in the worst way last season.  We all saw it.  JD saw it.  He got two good ones that are ready to contribute immediately.  

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, genot said:

This signing tells me. Our 2nd rd pick will be a tackle. Moses signs for 5 mill a year. To let him go at that price tells me, he had his eye on someone early on in the draft. Can't be counting on Becton staying healtjy, or McDermott as the swing tackle.

I see Joe doing what he did last year.  Take one of our 2nd round picks (just one and some other later picks) to move back into later 1st round for a quality player that slips.  I love JD man!!!!  Best GM we have ever had.  

• Sympathy 1