Jets sign TE Conklin

Just now, IndianaJet said:

I wouldn’t be shocked at all if the Jets still went TE in round 2 or 3. 

Absolutely.  Conklin is decent, but it’s not like the Jets just signed Travis Kelce and George Kittle.  The position could use a little more talent and depth, and maybe some more speed.   Maybe Likely or Dulcich.   

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I would

Hell, I’d take one of the RB’s like Hall or Spiller in Round 2 over a guy like McBride at this point.

I’m even more open for an interior DL like Jones or Winfrey, much less a wideout, OT, LB, etc.

All for a 2nd round RB if there’s high end talent there. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, football guy said:

Conklin is going to play a hybrid TE/FB/HB role for us... basically our version of Kyle Juszczyk

Why?

I like him as a receiving option who may have some untapped upside, but by all accounts he’s mediocre at best in the blocking department. An area where Bawden, despite limited playing time, proved himself useful.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Why?

I like him as a receiving option who may have some untapped upside, but by all accounts he’s mediocre at best in the blocking department. An area where Bawden, despite limited playing time, proved himself useful.

I’m not so sure he’s right with this, but who knows. Bawden is on the team as fb already and as far as I know Wesco is also 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Didn’t the fb just re sign? And Wesco is still on the team I think 

Neither Bawden or Wesco have guaranteed deals. Conklin will essentially play the Wesco role and provide better blocking/receiving ability. 

The draft will likely dictate who makes the final roster, but the chances are we will only carry 4 TE+HB/FB total. 

This year, expect both Uzomah and Conklin to play a lot in "featured" roles, with Uzomah at the F-TE and Conklin at the Y-TE. They will likely also draft 1-2 TEs, which would mean a very aggressive competition for those final 2 roster spots in camp. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

Conklin is a good athlete, can catch screens and when he can release from the line. He is never going to be on the all hands team...saw a few of his games last year and he can really drop some easy balls. He also played on a team with some firepower.

i don't mind the signing, the more guy we get around Zach the better...but i'd still go McBride as the long term answer at TE.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

DE, WR, DT, S, LB

Not sure the order but I'd imagine this is probably what we are looking at with our first 5 picks

I see where the value is in the draft, but I hope they address LB early.  No pass rush can dominate if we are giving up 10+ yds a shot on dinks and dunks...

• Upvote 2

I think this kind of confirms what I've thought about why the Jets haven't hit the WR position that hard. They're not going to have three or more wide receivers on the field as much as last year.

Even with as terrible as the Jets' tight ends were last year they ran a lot of two tight end sets. Going to be lots more 21 and 12 personnel groupings and less 11, probably some 22 at points honestly. Not as important to get a third wide receiver when they won't be on the field as often, and I'm sure Douglas (right or wrong) expects a bounce back from Davis.

Think it takes a little pressure off the draft in that they can bring in someone who needs to develop a little more without worrying about them starting.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 4

5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

So does this reduce Bawden to a camp body? 

Probably. It's also possible the Jets draft only 1 TE and keep one of Bawden or Wesco, but people close to the organization have been saying they've been looking for an TE/HB hybrid to serve the "Kyle Jusczcyk" role for a while now. They wanted him in FA, then they targeted Tommy Tremble, now this. Agents thought it would be Ricard because his agents have been saying he's going to be more of a TE/HB and sign with a team who would use him in such way, but I think everyone overlooked Conklin, who was a TE/HB/FB for the Vikings when they ran the Shanahan offense. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

and somehow i am sad. 

Ha ha , i was wondering about this as soon as I heard we signed him.  On the one hand we are getting Te's so Paradis must be happy...on the other hand now we may not be drafting TEs thus Paradis will be sad.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, derp said:

I think this kind of confirms what I've thought about why the Jets haven't hit the WR position that hard. They're not going to have three or more wide receivers on the field as much as last year.

Even with as terrible as the Jets' tight ends were last year they ran a lot of two tight end sets. Going to be lots more 21 and 12 personnel groupings and less 11, probably some 22 at points honestly. Not as important to get a third wide receiver when they won't be on the field as often, and I'm sure Douglas (right or wrong) expects a bounce back from Davis.

Think it takes a little pressure off the draft in that they can bring in someone who needs to develop a little more without worrying about them starting.

I also think Joe would rather draft another WR on a rookie deal.  At 10 we would have the pick of the litter most likely.  Hell even at 35 you could get a good one I think 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1